Daily meals! So we don't eat the same foods, day in, day out, forever.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a fan of tinned tuna.. I don't have to catch or clean it and it's ready right out of the can!

I too am a huge fan of "tinned" tuna. (Your accent is coming through!!LOL).

I get it for around 60 cents a can. You can do ALOT of stuff with it. Plus I live with 3 cats, quaranteed no waste!:)
Troy

I love a good salmon fillet on the BBQ, but I'd pass on a salmon for a 20# Black Cod from the Bering Sea, any day! :br

Go with that right now!! I like black cod more than halibut. Used to fish for them out of Seward. Doesn't get to much better than that!(The fish, and the fishing)LOL

You can't hardly ever find in in the store. apparantley the Japanese like it so much they have "pre-ordered" them for the upcoming seasons. No kidding.

We had some at red Meyers last winter and they wanted almost $20/lb. Hell King Crab is only like $12.

By the way just to make it clear. Black Cod actually isnt a cod at all, don't know why they classify it differently, but its real name is Sablefish. It is one of the best fish I have ever eaten, without a doubt.

:fsh
Troy

Go with that right now!! I like black cod more than halibut. Used to fish for them out of Seward. Doesn't get to much better than that!(The fish, and the fishing)LOL

You can't hardly ever find in in the store. apparantley the Japanese like it so much they have "pre-ordered" them for the upcoming seasons. No kidding.

We had some at red Meyers last winter and they wanted almost $20/lb. Hell King Crab is only like $12.

By the way just to make it clear. Black Cod actually isnt a cod at all, don't know why they classify it differently, but its real name is Sablefish. It is one of the best fish I have ever eaten, without a doubt.

Troy
I guess I really got a deal a month ago. I was able to buy as much as I could afford at the local grocery store. It was bulk frozen on a possessing ship and sent down the the Lower 48. I got 20 pounds at $1.99/pound!!!!
:db :br :try :b

Troy
It's all in the marketing, and public perception. They call rock fish "cod", because that's all the public recognizes.
Back during the Depression (that one, not this one...:h), things were so tight the restaurants in Seattle sold a dish called Gray Fish. I'm told it was very good. What people didn't know was that it was Dogfish (shark). There is seafood sold right now labeled "faux scallops". It's actually plugs cut from the wings of skates. :sh

DAMN O.p. don't think you can get better than that!! I hope you bought as much as you were able to afford. Thats a screamin deal!
Troy

I've actually ate the skate wing things. I personally think it is excellent. Never understood why they would need to call or even refer to them as faux scalops etc. No need to, they are excellent as they are for what they are.

Dogfish!!!!!!Curses! Them lil bastards are a menace. They are like a little 2 foot shark. They go after the bait and get hooked. so instead of a $20 fish on the hook you end up with a zillion of these dogfish. I actually cooked a couple of these and they werent bad at all. But there was no market for em so we flung them over the side.

I never did understand why their was no market for em. Hell, even at $1.00/lb we would have been making money. But they are a terrible menace for a fisherman, I will always hate who they are, but sure wont miss being able eat one once in a while.

shark is called lemonfish here.. and it makes excellent deep fried battered fish for a fish and chips meal.

I quite like it.

...Dogfish!!!!!!Curses! Them lil bastards are a menace. They are like a little 2 foot shark. They go after the bait and get hooked. so instead of a $20 fish on the hook you end up with a zillion of these dogfish. I actually cooked a couple of these and they werent bad at all. But there was no market for em so we flung them over the side.

I never did understand why their was no market for em. Hell, even at $1.00/lb we would have been making money. But they are a terrible menace for a fisherman, I will always hate who they are, but sure wont miss being able eat one once in a while.
I'm surprised Asia hasn't opened as a market for them.
They were a plague to sports fishermen in Puget Sound years ago. They would decimate the herring schools, which were prime bait fish. Mean little gremlins that we were, :: if we caught one, we'd tie a toy balloon on their tail and let them go. One afternoon we had about 30 balloons skittering around the bay in an area where we were seining for herring.

Yeah never understood that. I thought they weren't to bad eating myself. You need to bleed them but that aint no big thing. Some of those I guess averaged4 pounds or so.

Don't even get me started about the amount of dead fish thrown over the side in the US! If its not the target fish or not in season...splash. I cry sometimes when I think of how much food I seen wasted in this industry!! HERE, in the US. When I fished in Siberia, the Russians made us keep anything that was edible. 50 days I was up there and all we seemed to be catching was squid, and we had to keep them! I made $980 on that trip. Works out I suppose. Made almost $5000 in one day on a Halibut opening in less than 24 hours.! Worked for almost 44 hours with no sleep, only a couple cups of coffee and a sandwhich. I think it was a sandwich! LOL

But at least it wasn't wasted, someone ate it.

Last edited:
Yeah never understood that. I thought they weren't to bad eating myself. You need to bleed them but that aint no big thing. Some of those I guess averaged4 pounds or so.
Most of the ones we caught back then were 3' to 4'. Seemed like a 4-footer weight about 20 pounds. I saw a couple that were at the max for the species...about 6 feet. Must have been all those herring and candlefish!

Don't even get me started about the amount of dead fish thrown over the side in the US! If its not the target fish or not in season...splash. I cry sometimes when I think of how much food I seen wasted in this industry!!
Don't get ME started on this subject! :m I can't remember the exact amount, but I believe I'm close. I lost almost all respect for Gulf fishermen when I found out they had DUMPED over 11,000 metric tons of Pinks back into the Gulf because they couldn't get the price they wanted!!! (This was back in the early '80s.

Allie, is it actual Lemon Shark, or do they just call all shark that?

I think it's a generic name for any shark that's used for fish and chips takeaways.. something like $2.50 a piece.. schnapper or
terakihi are usually $4-$5 a piece..

http://seafoodindustry.co.nz/Default.aspx?id=1218&area=228

this is fast food so you expect it to be a bit pricey..

in Australia.. fish and chips are usually shark or butterfish..

http://www.sea-ex.com/fishphotos/butterfi.htm

we don't get butterfish in NZ .. it's a really nice fish.

Allie

I here ya OP. Lot of food there. seen that sorry sh myself, you ought to see what happens on the high seas, especially when the Federal observer is sleeping!!!!

BEEF what about BEEF...LOL I like some fish but give me a good steak or prime rib and a baked potatoe any day.

hehehe..

that's the point of this thread..

put your favourite recipe up Runningwolf..

I'm already considering trying a pork belly next time i see it on special.. or a bit of flank steak.

Allie

I'm already considering trying a pork belly next time i see it on special.. or a bit of flank steak.

Allie
I have to correct myself from earlier. I was given some pork belly awhile back. Here, it usually comes in a 1 pound chunk, and they call it "side pork", which means uncured bacon. I have never seen a large package of "pork belly". But if I did, I would be tempted to make "cracklin's" out of it, and eat it as a snack, like pork rind. If you do get some, try this:
Cut some in 1" cubes and throw it in a sauce pan. Put it on medium low heat and let it cook slowly, releasing it's own fat. The pan will start to fill up with the melted lard, and anything that doesn't melt will get crispy. The crispy stuff is the cracklin's, and the fat is great for frying other stuff!

allie> now that you mention it, i love lamb. my mother makes a delicous orange/wine sauce that she puts on it. very tender and lamb has more flavor than beef/chicken. i like some game taste. venison is great as long as it's farm raised (basically around farms and not all woods). ate squirrel for the first time 3 weeks ago. alot like chicken. kinda dissapointing. my favorite meat is shrimp.

Latest posts

Back