Daily meals! So we don't eat the same foods, day in, day out, forever.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reply to Old Philosopher re local costs of meat locally.. moved from the 'what are you doing today' thread.

OP's post

Wow! Nice score!
My score for the day was 10 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.78/lb. I'll save you the math...that's $5.41/Kg NZD. Is that a good deal?

my post..

big supermarkets here.. that particular cut..( boneless skinless breast) will run you as high as $16.99 a kilo.

The local cut price butcher had those on special 2 weeks back at $7.99 a kilo.. So you're still getting it cheaper than me. He had wings on speacial for $3.99 kg and drums/thighs were $4.99kg.

however .. lamb is dear for you guys isn't it?

He had lamb leg roasts for $8.99 a kilo last week and I have 4 x 3kg ( av size) tucked in the freezer....that's a good price even by our standards.

Pork roasts run at $5.99 per kilo for a shoulder roast and $6.99 for leg. ( bone in)..

local supermarket was selling pork roasts for $12.99kg..and lamb leg roasts for $16 a kilo .. on the same week that the butcher had his specials.

I don't buy meat at the supermarket anymore.

Allie

( all prices quoted in New Zealand dollars)

OP's post

Back in the day things were really tight, I'd go to a restaurant supply house, get two pork shoulder butts for $2.80/Kg (NZD), then cut them myself into boneless "country ribs" until I hit the shoulder bone. Then I'd take them to a local butcher and he'd saw them into blade steaks for 20-cents/lb (USD). It was a little running around, but I was getting "ribs" and steaks for about 60% the cost of the packaged product.

um.. not sure what a restaurant supply house is ?

is that a wholesaler? they don't sell to the general public.

We've gone a bit off topic again btw..

the original thread was for a quick note about what you cook for dinner on the day you post.

we can sustain both conversations here I'm sure.

just reiterating the original threads point for people..

Allie

um.. not sure what a restaurant supply house is ?

is that a wholesaler? they don't sell to the general public.

Allie
Oh...yeah...forgot to remember that detail. :e
I have a business license. I'm sure that laws vary widely, but here in the US, you can register your business name with what ever State you live in. When you do that, you only have to declare whether you are incorporated, or just owner-operator. Your business name is listed as "doing business as (company name)", and you get a Tax Identification number. If your business makes less than a certain amount of money, you get to report/pay your taxes only once a year. So, when the tax form comes, you write across the form "no business during this period", sign it and send it back. You can go for years, showing no profit, but retaining your business name, and Tax ID number. That Tax ID number is what gets you into wholesale-only businesses.
We had a legitimate business, and the category of product was simply "other", since we did everything from resale, to manufacture of wood novelties, to photography.
Some businesses won't wholesale to you if your "license" is not related to their products, but the grocery business isn't usually one of them. A lot of the restaurant supply places operate on a "cash and carry" policy, no billing, no bookkeeping, no checks...so their prices are ridiculously low. I've been able to cut some pretty sweet deals over the years, with that business license in my pocket.

Duh!! (multitasking moment again..).

I made spaghetti bolognese for dinner last night.

Allie

Just finished eatin' dinner. Soft tacos made with a Pronghorn Antelope leg roast that spent the day in the crock pot, and was shredded with BBQ sauce.
The roast was a gift. Cheap dinner...

Oh...yeah...forgot to remember that detail. :e
I have a business license. I'm sure that laws vary widely, but here in the US, you can register your business name with what ever State you live in. When you do that, you only have to declare whether you are incorporated, or just owner-operator. Your business name is listed as "doing business as (company name)", and you get a Tax Identification number. If your business makes less than a certain amount of money, you get to report/pay your taxes only once a year. So, when the tax form comes, you write across the form "no business during this period", sign it and send it back. You can go for years, showing no profit, but retaining your business name, and Tax ID number. That Tax ID number is what gets you into wholesale-only businesses.
We had a legitimate business, and the category of product was simply "other", since we did everything from resale, to manufacture of wood novelties, to photography.
Some businesses won't wholesale to you if your "license" is not related to their products, but the grocery business isn't usually one of them. A lot of the restaurant supply places operate on a "cash and carry" policy, no billing, no bookkeeping, no checks...so their prices are ridiculously low. I've been able to cut some pretty sweet deals over the years, with that business license in my pocket.

cash and carry equals an "under the table' deal in NZ.. means you pay no tax, because no one knows the transaction ever existed..

am shocked to find that loophole hasn't been firmly plugged in the states... your country runs on accountants and lawyers.

( am not being rude at all with my statement btw, You are very much a 'user pays' society.. thought this would have been stopped since " bootlegging')

Don't you have quite an aggressive tax system?

Allie

( OMG we are off topic again!)

cash and carry equals an "under the table' deal in NZ.. means you pay no tax, because no one knows the transaction ever existed..
Not what's going on here. Businesses are responsible for keeping accurate books, and reporting their debit/credit transactions. There are many, many businesses that won't take personal checks (fast food chains, for instance), because of the default rate. Nothing "under the table" about it.

am shocked to find that loophole hasn't been firmly plugged in the states... your country runs on accountants and lawyers.

( am not being rude at all with my statement btw, You are very much a 'user pays' society.. thought this would have been stopped since " bootlegging')

Don't you have quite an aggressive tax system?

Allie

( OMG we are off topic again!)
We have a very agressive tax system. B&O (business and occupational) Taxes are completely seperate from personal Income Taxes. If you're doing business at all, your books are subject to audit at any time.

:D We're not THAT far off topic. Somewhere in here there was mention of "doing more, with less". The idea of purchasing power must fit in there somewhere? :h

An under the table deal.. is under the table.. because it is all cash...

no receipts... no records...

happens all the time..

just never acknowledged.

Allie

An under the table deal.. is under the table.. because it is all cash...

no receipts... no records...

happens all the time..

just never acknowledged.

Allie
Well, yeah...for sure. PEOPLE get paid under the table. But this chain store I'm talking about is actually named Cash 'n' Carry...and they do give receipts.
Actually, what works good around here is the old fashioned "barter system". You roof my house, I give you half a beef steer. Of course, there's a place on our tax forms where you're supposed to report that. :) :) :)

Well, yeah...for sure. PEOPLE get paid under the table. But this chain store I'm talking about is actually named Cash 'n' Carry...and they do give receipts.
Actually, what works good around here is the old fashioned "barter system". You roof my house, I give you half a beef steer. Of course, there's a place on our tax forms where you're supposed to report that. :) :) :)

hehehhe.. didn't realise it was the name of the store...

oh yeah.. we have the barter sytem too..( and the same tax forms )

As we move to a more and more electronic age..You can see cash will eventually disappear.

Gov't will tax breathing eventually..

Allie

last year my tax formed claimed I made less than $4000. Prove i made more!!!!LOL

I've set my crockpot up for a chicken hot and sour for tonight. I'll steam a little rice with that.
Last night I had friends over so I made a variety of curries and rices with various veg accompaniments. I had a lot of spinach to use up, to be honest.
I tend to just let my guests choose the wine.
I have been given a whole lot of trout. I'm wondering what to do with that. lol.

Please dont shoot me when you find me hiding beneath your front porch.

Got 3 whole sockeye salmon(red salmon) in the freeze, bout 6 lb each. Almost don't want to cook them, all we'll see for a few months. Paid around $10 a piece for them!! Sure enough to feed a few people.

salmon is $30 a kilo here.. and it's farmed. Very popular smoked.

just as well we have plenty of coastline.. fish of choice here is schnapper.

G what is the exchange rate for NZ? We talk often with you about dollars and some times it gets confusing. for example 30/kilo thats less than $15/lb US.

Huh? LOL

Troy

one kilo equals 2.2lb ( we use the metric system)

so 1lb would be NZD$15 roughly USD$11 lb

current conversion rate is

1 New Zealand dollar = 0.7407 U.S. dollars

Allie

Obviously, I live in Alaska. We have 5 types of wild salmon here, in HUGE numbers so I have had the grand opportunty to eat a few thousand of them. These ARE NOT FARMED. As a former commercial fisherman, the word farmed is taboo.

This year wasn't so good for me, but last summer, I smoked and/or pickled over 70 fish. My buddies do the fishing I doo the cooking and get some!!

I might be part native Alaskan because I could eat salmon everyother day and never tire of it.

It is a firm fish so quite versitale.

But, ifin I could, I'd sure trade for some Snapper. I've caught many types of "Rock Fish" while I lived on the boat, but it's just not something you see in the stores.
:fsh
Troy

Back