Daily meals! So we don't eat the same foods, day in, day out, forever.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never done the "London Broil" thing with a flank (skirt) steak. To me, London Broil is basically 1/2 of a round steak, usually the "bottom round", and cut 1 1/2" to even 3" thick. The full round steak, cut 2"-3" thick is called a Baron of Beef. Absolutely fantastic, and very impressive to throw a 6 pound steak on the barbee for company! :D

You have to put the recipe up for a baron of beef.. it's just not done here.. I'd love to give it a go. We have a really good butcher up the road.. will ask him to give me a price on the whole piece.

Where is Troy?.. he's probably got a recipe for it somewhere too..

Allie

I don't have a particular recipe for BOB, but I do know several people who love the london broil. It is a relatively cheap cut of meat and versatile. In fact will be having that tommorrow at my buddies house.

Garlic and onions are probably the reason I am single (haven't met the right Italian woman yet, I quess. LOL) But I love to stuff my beef and pork with slivers of garlic. Poke some holes in the meant and stuff it in there with your finger, the hole created will suck up as it cooks. I also believe in rubbing down my meat with a secret mix of herbs/spices and allow it to sit in the fridge overnight.

I love my smoker and most everything gets its start in there, even for a little while, then I fininsh it in the oven.

I love to buy the whole prork tenderloin. I can get it at SAMS Club for like $2.50/lb, Alot can be done with this, roasted whole, stuffed, cut into chops, pounded out for cutlets, cubed for stir fry etc. Actually ground beef here is usually around $4/lb. I hardley ever buy it except for burgers. I prefer to buy a cheap cut like 7 bone or chuck steak, I use this for anything you would normally use gbeef for, spaghetti, chili, etc. Cube up and cook long enough for it to shread apart.

I'm cooking a beef tenderloin right now. Troy I cook it exactly as you with the garlic. Then I coat it with olive oil and sprikle montreal steak seasoning on it along with crushed red pepper. Since it is so tender I cook it as hot and fast as I can. I preheat the oven to 500 degrees and cook the entire time at same temp. When internal temp reaches 125 degrees I remove from oven and let it set a bit before cutting.

Right on Wolf, thats exactly how I would do it!!! I have made a bunch of them!

I have heard of this seasoning, but obviously whatever seasoning works for you. I recently found a seasoning mix carried at SAMS Club called, "steak dust", for an all around seasoning I think this is pretty good stuff.

Do you cover your loin in foil while cooking? I too cook my tenderloin real hot like that.

Personally I wouldn't cover it in foil, turn it over half way through.

I have cooked 1,234,369 prime ribs, I have never covered them. Again this is a choice. And obviously a prime is way thicker than a loin, and weighs alot more..

Mostly I just rub, stuff em etc.(For primes) and put into a 250 deg oven for till they come around 115, like you do with the loin. But at a slower temp due to the weight/thickness.

I think alot of people don't realize when you pull a piece of roasted meat, or even chicken, out of the oven, it is really necessary to allow it to sit for a bit before carving into it. I have seen alot of people ruin a nice turkey from failing to do this.

Cook on my friend!
Troy

I'm probably in a rut, but I have a "stock" seasoning rub I use on almost everything. All applied to taste:

Johnny's Seasoned Salt
Granulated garlic
Fresh cracked black pepper

No complaints from anyone yet, and a buddy wanted the "recipe". :h

Troy, I do not cover the tenderloin when cooking it. It was absolutely delicious. Well done o the ends and bloody rare in the middle the way I like it. Yes it does continue to cook for about ten minutes after you take it out of the oven, so you dont want to over cook it.

Now today I am making my infamous buffalo wings in my homemade "special: sauce. :try

Must be pretty special if you don't want to disclose how you make it. I swear, if I use it, I will refer to it as "Toms Special Sauce"LOL

If its REALLY good, I could plagerize and call it "Troy's Special Sauce!!!!"

WELL.. I will say there 8 things I add.
1 is Franks Hot Sauce.

I use Franks also then add some honey to it to thicken it up just a bit. I deep fry the wings in my turkey fryer and then just toss the wings in the sauce for a few.

If you don't tell us the rest I AM CALLING FRANK! Next thing you know, we'll be calling it Franks special sauce!

Funny you actually brought this wings up, if I get to the store today, wings is on my list. I like Franks pretty well for a "generic" hot sauce, (sorry Frank) and like Wade, a little honey and etc.

The worst part about a good wing is the beard, not the wings beard, MINE!!! LOL

honey, soy sauce and minced garlic .. mix well and coat wings.. marinate for a couple hours if you have time.. if not, just bake in oven or throw on the bbq..

quick and easy.

G, you never called me honey before in public. I was begining to think I would be in the barn with the Swedes!!!!:slp I do believe in soy sauce.

I talked to my Mom a lil while ago. She is the expert on stretching the dollar. I told her about this thread(God love her, even though she hates wine!)

Now that her children are all grown she only cooks for her and her husband( I think he does most of the cooking), she says her best controbution to this discussion is chicken breasts. You can do alot with them. Her husband is diabetic, so some of that recipe philosophy has something to do with it.

I don't think I have ever met a kid, and some adults, that dont like chiken tenders.

Slice the chicken, pound it out a bit and bread it fry it,(or go in the oven if you are watching that), and VOILA.

My Mom thought it was great that Allie brought up this thread, just goes to show, even across the globe we are all trying to do the best we can, with what we got.

Troy
:h

Last edited:
I'm diabetic and I have to agree that chicken and fish are perfect for it. I do use a lot of herbs and spices in my cooking but I grow most of the herbs. I also grow veg and fruit. I make my bread as Allie does. I suppose it is all just part of my routine now.
I especially like making soups and stews for some reason.

heheheh Thankyou Winemanden,

it's certainly got me reassessing the cuts of beef I use.

out of curiosity...

I often see pork belly in the supermarket.. thin cut with skin on still.. it's not the cheapest and I thought it would be a fatty cut.. apart from the fact I've never cooked it.. so no idea what to do with it even if I did bring it home..

Anybody out there got their own recipe for it?

Allie

G,
My Mom thought it was great that Allie brought up this thread, just goes to show, even across the globe we are all trying to do the best we can, with what we got.

Troy
:h

Say hello to your Mum from us all Troy..

Mums are the ones that hand down the kitchen skills usually.. she taught you well

:bt

heheheh Thankyou Winemanden,

it's certainly got me reassessing the cuts of beef I use.

out of curiosity...

I often see pork belly in the supermarket.. thin cut with skin on still.. it's not the cheapest and I thought it would be a fatty cut.. apart from the fact I've never cooked it.. so no idea what to do with it even if I did bring it home..

Anybody out there got their own recipe for it?

Allie
Just my 2 c worth: I've never cooked it fresh, for any reason. But I do know it's used for sweet and sour pork, and some other Oriental recipes. Mainly it's use to make bacon and salt pork. Pork and Beans? I'm sure Troy's got a use for it, other than curing it.

Latest posts

Back