Cellar Craft CELLAR CRAFT 2012 LIMITED RELEASE COLLECTION

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
CELLAR CRAFT 2012 LIMITED RELEASE COLLECTION
Preliminary information

Bella Sonoma Vineyard
PINOT NOIR
Sonoma Coast, California

18 liter format with Sonoma Coast, virgin, crushed grapes

January 2012 Release

The Sonoma Coast is California’s “hottest” Pinot Noir region because it is California’s coolest temperature wine region where soils are generally demanding with high rock, gravel and clay content. These conditions result in low crop yields and wines which are concentrated, complex and elegant with ageing and attracting a rush of new plantings within the region.

The Bella Sonoma Vineyard in the south-west part of the region has rocky, shallow soil and was planted 15-16 years ago with a variety of Dijon clones. It is heavily influenced by marine fogs which flow freely inland though the Petaluma Gap keeping temperatures low for ideal flavour development.

This bright ruby-hued wine is medium-bodied with classic aromatics dominated by bright cherry, fresh raspberry, elegant spice and subtle notes from medium toast Hungarian oak introduced post-fermentation.

The palate shows more cherry, a suggestion of black fruits and licorice with a balance of vibrant coastal acidity and fine tannins.

Sensory refinement and elegance will begin to develop after 12 months and should continue through the third or forth years of cellaring to become a very special Pinot.

With moderate tannins and bright coastal acidity the wine will compliment a wide range of foods - from white fish to beef steaks and most dishes in between. Classic pairings include coq au vin, duck, pheasant, rabbit, salmon, shellfish, and smoked foods. Of course, it is also the first choice as a red, social sipper for your special guests.
Don’t fuss it – just serve it!

Erickson Farm
NEBBIOLO
Madera, Calif.

The Barolo varietal with a 2 liter, virgin crushed grape pack

February 2012 Release

The Nebbiolo grape is most famous for being the primary varietal in Italian Barolo and Barbaresco wines. It has also been slowly making inroads in California vineyards.

We have been running trials with Nebbiolo grapes from Erickson Farm in Madera, California for nearly a year and are pleased to now offer you the chance to discover Nebbiolo in our take on an American-style Barolo in this year’s Limited Release program.

The wine that we present captures the classic profile of Barolo and Barbaresco. It is indeed a very BIG wine with deep, brooding red colour, dense and traditional in style with highly extracted ripe fruit, dark spice, tobacco notes, high alcohol and very pointed tannins that give a sense of power and majesty.

The secret that enabled us to achieve this lofty profile was found when we introduced some rich Syrah juice from Rattlesnake Valley Vineyard in Yakima Valley, Washington into the main bladder and blended Yakima Syrah skins with the Nebbiolo skins into the crushed grape pack. Fermentation on robust crushed grapes seems to be essential to make this blend achieve the levels of intensity that is found in Barolos.

The assertive tannins do demand that this wine be aged at least a year (most Italian Barolo or Barbaresco wines require 5-10 or more years before they are considered approachable) but the rewards for patience are high.

After a year the cherry fruit aromas and flavours begin to show balanced integration with the spice notes, the 2- stage Hungarian oaks, the maturing tannins and the elevated alcohol level. Further ageing will pay further rewards but the wine does retain its signature chewy, dry texture.

This BIG wine demands big foods as pairings. Think game meats (venison, duck, and pheasant), braised beef and lamb, cured meats, truffles and mushrooms, heavy tomato-sauced pasta, rich risottos or break the bank and serve with foiegras. Appropriate cheeses would include Pecorino Romano and a favourite blue cheese.

Lake County, Calif., Yakima Valley, Wash.
SAUVIGNON BLANC / SEMILLON / CHARDONNAY
A New World Take On French Standards

March 2012 Release

This wine without borders looks to 3 grapes originally from 3 French areas – Bordeaux, Burgundy and the Loire Valley and uniquely blends them together in a new world fashion. The result is fabulous wine that still cannot be produced in their most important French Homelands.

Our exclusive blend is 37% Sauvignon Blanc from Lake County California; 35% California Semillon and 28% Chardonnay from California and Yakima Valley, Wash.

Sauvignon Blanc from cooler climate Lake County establishes a base with gooseberry, citrus and grassy notes amid a bright framework.

Semillon adds lushness, softness and fullness to the mouth feel.

Chardonnay contributes apple, pear, melon and more structure.

A flavour Reserve of Chenin Blanc is included for recommended, but optional, use.
American toasted oak is included and is optional based upon personal preference. Our panel was evenly split.

This wine drinks well after 2 or 3 months and is best enjoyed with 18 months.

The wine is a great social sipper and cries out for goat cheese as appetizers or in salads. Pairs nicely with fish, scallop, chicken, pork, veal, pasta and vegetable dishes.

Serve lightly chilled.

Sunset Ridge Vineyard
RED MOUNTAIN TRIO
(Cabernet, Syrah, Merlot)
With 2 liter virgin Red Mountain crushed grape pack

April 2012 Release

Each of these Red Mountain varieties has been offered in prior Limited Release offerings to great acclaim. Red Mountain Cabernet has been awarded more gold medals than any other Cabernet in recent competitions and both the Syrah and Merlot have shown similar success.

While Red Mountain Cabs, Syrahs and Merlots continue to receive acclaim as single varietal wines, Red Mountain has been developing an identity and solid reputation for unique blends combing all three, as we are doing with this offering.
This offering has been styled by our Washington supplier to mimic his most successful blend: 65% Cabernet; 35% Syrah and 15% Merlot... Both juices and skins will share these proportions.

Of particular note, the Syrah stock will include a combination of Cote Rotie and Hermitage clones which have proven to be particularly well suited to Red Mountain. The wine will be truly special and unique on several levels!

The wine will be of the highest quality stock available anywhere. The power of RM Cab with its black currant, unique notes of orange essence and notable minerality and chalk will drive the blend. Syrah will add brightness, black fruit and peppery spice while Merlot helps integrate and soften the whole for earlier approachability.

Two-stage Hungarian oak treatment will add its distinctive nuances and provide the structure upon which the fruit will be built.

To say that we are excited to be able to offer this wine is an understatement.

Cellar at least a year and up to 3 or 4.

Food pairings include your favourite beef, lamb, game and pork dishes as well as hearty pastas, fowl, pizza or wherever you would be reaching for a red wine but want to make the meal more special.

I am planning to get 2 each of the 3 reds. They sound great! SWMBO loves PN, we both are partial to Barolo (the Nebbiolo) and the Red Mountain Trio has to be a winner coming from that region of Washington state. I can't believe I missed out on the RM Syrah a couple of years ago. I won't miss out on this one.

When I saw the list yesterday without the descriptions I knew I would want the Red Mt. Trio. I hoped that the descriptions wouldn't sway me too much . . . wrong! Now I know I'll have to get the three reds but the question is will I wish I had double of one of them, and which one?

Red Mountain Trio of course!
smiley20.gif

Can Nebbiolo grown in Cali really replicate Italian Piedmont Barolo? Or should it try to be a little different, because it can't and shouldn't try to replicate it exactly? I suppose those are the tough questions we home winemakers will have to tackle. I hope I am up to it.
smiley36.gif

Wow, they have invented new math. Squeeze the following Red Mountain Trio blend into 100%. 65% Cabernet; 35% Syrah and 15% Merlot. Regardless, it sounds GREAT.

RickC said:
Wow, they have invented new math. Squeeze the following Red Mountain Trio blend into 100%. 65% Cabernet; 35% Syrah and 15% Merlot. Regardless, it sounds GREAT.

Ergo, justification for the price increase.
smiley36.gif

CC's Cristina:

The correct percentages are 50/35/15. Now everyone will be able to sleep tonight.

maybe if we could get the 65-35-15 we would not have to top up our carboys.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back