Daily meals! So we don't eat the same foods, day in, day out, forever.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom the teenagers may be gone, but I hope you kept the wife and the pets?

My cats are top of the pecking order when I cook. They get the first of everything. My dogs get the leftovers. One of the dogs is partial to a saucer of wine too.
I'm in the mood for a curry tonight I think.

OP, not true, they may like to live there, but our Eagles live on the coast. They live here quite more abundantly than they do there. Quite frankly they are a big pain in the ash.

To you thay are beautiful, to me, I agree but they are a still a big pain in the ash trap.

Don't even get me going about "Killer Whales" they are beautiful too, but ERRRRRRGH, they are a huge pain, they have costed me a lot of money.

Keep YOUR Eagles, but I stand by my post as saying, you have no idea.

Them bastards are a menace, and I respect their beauty, but I guarantee you they are beautiful in photos, but I have seen them wipe out a 50lb bag of dog food in less then a half hour.

have you ever tried to chase one off? Doubt it.

Hell with those Eagles. God love them and keep em pretty, but keep it in perspective.

I hope you don't start a thread about how "pretty" or "cool" sea lions are. You'll have a fight on your hands.

Sea otters are one of the few sea mammals I care about.

Oh Leanne, one can of coconut mlk and a little curry powder can make a white guy speak with an Indian accent!! LOL

I just watched an hour of "Americas Deadliest Catch".

Been there, done that.

Please don't be so dissappointed when you see the price of King crab, or any other seafood.

I came back alive everytime....some didn't.

Last edited:
:)

I tend to overdo the chilli powder in my curries but I do love them. I'll make a lamb one with bombay potatoes and nan bread I think.

OP, not true, they may like to live there, but our Eagles live on the coast. They live here quite more abundantly than they do there. Quite frankly they are a big pain in the ash.

To you thay are beautiful, to me, I agree but they are a still a big pain in the ash trap.
True, Troy... Allie was commenting on 'near extinction'. I've seen the gathering on the Chilkat. 3,000 Bald Eagles in one place is impressive. We have a fraction of that, but we still see them on a weekly basis. They share the rivers here with the Osprey and occasioal Golden Eagle. Road killed animals usually attract a half-dozen ravens, and at least one B. Eagle.

Don't even get me going about "Killer Whales" they are beautiful too, but ERRRRRRGH, they are a huge pain, they have costed me a lot of money.
Orcas are called the "wolves of the sea", and rightly so!

Keep YOUR Eagles, but I stand by my post as saying, you have no idea.

Them bastards are a menace, and I respect their beauty, but I guarantee you they are beautiful in photos, but I have seen them wipe out a 50lb bag of dog food in less then a half hour.
Our biggest menace to dog food left outside is the wild turkeys!

have you ever tried to chase one off? Doubt it.
No, but they've chased ME off a couple times, when I got too close to one of their young!

I hope you don't start a thread about how "pretty" or "cool" sea lions are. You'll have a fight on your hands.
We used to shoot them for the bounty in Puget Sound. They'd get into a school of salmon and just take one bite out of one, and then a bite out of another. Ten dead salmon for ten bites of food. A few of them got into a feeding frenzy in the fish ladders in Seattle, killing hundreds of spawning salmon, and the "public" wouldn't let anyone kill the beasts! Grrrr... Fish & Game captured, tagged and relocated a couple to southern Oregon. One of them was back in less than a week!

Sea otters are one of the few sea mammals I care about.
Sea Otters are cool, unless you get a family living in your oyster bed.

Your points well taken. Glad someone understands, but I damn sure aint gonna go and shoot any marine mammals. I will/would quit fishing first.

HeeHee, forgot about those Turkeys, I bet indeed they could wipe out some dog food!!!LOL
For what it's worth we have the Canadian Jays here, "camp robbers", they too could wipe out some dog food, cattle food, chicken food, sheep food, just fill in the blank. but I never killed anything in my life unless I was going to eat it or it directly threatened my life. And thats True.

I may be a proud Alaskan, but I am a bunny hugger at heart. I find absolutely nothing fun about killing animals, and I always asked forgiveness before I pulled the trigger. believe me.I spent almost 3 years living in the wilderness and I have killed thousands of animals, but I have never "hunted" in my life.

I may be a proud Alaskan, but I am a bunny hugger at heart. I find absolutely nothing fun about killing animals, and I always asked forgiveness before I pulled the trigger. believe me.I spent almost 3 years living in the wilderness and I have killed thousands of animals, but I have never "hunted" in my life.
Amen, brother, preach on! I've changed my outlook over the years.
I don't ask forgiveness for pulling the trigger. I thank the animal for giving up its live, that mine might continue. We include them in our blessings when they're on the plate, too. :D

Amen right back at you Paul, the people who have always lived from the land new this. I wonder how many people think about that when they cut into a big old haunking steak.

Thumbs up to those who respect the land.
Troy

Amen right back at you Paul, the people who have always lived from the land new this. I wonder how many people think about that when they cut into a big old haunking steak.

Thumbs up to those who respect the land.
Troy
We taught the kids this, but now we trust everyone to do it silently. A guy could starve to death while blessing the farmer who grew the grain, the rancher who raised the beef, the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker...hehehe. The jerk on Wall Street who got rich at his desk, playing the market on all those commodities is on his own, though. :D

Special request from the kids..

HUGE amount of chicken deep fried things with a batter coating.. and tomato sauce..

they love them.. and I never buy them..

I'm the favourite Mum today.

tomorrow..

we are back on the proper food diet..

Allie

Special request from the kids..

HUGE amount of chicken deep fried things with a batter coating.. and tomato sauce..

Allie
I have no idea if you can get it in your area, but our "breading" of choice is panko. It's Oriental breadcrumbs, made from rice bread. It comes in three different grades of coarseness. It gets crisp without soaking up oil.

A coating for chicken, fish, etc. we also use is crushed corn flakes, rosemary and thyme. A little white pepper, or cayenne powder had some interest on occasion.

A "batter" we favor is made simply with 1/2 cup of corn starch and 3 eggs, seasoned (or not) to taste.

Tonight will be a chicken breast coated in garlic butter and wrapped in parma ham. I'l have that with mushrooms, roasted onions and steamed veg. Maybe a little spiced couscous too.

Leanne, your meals always sound so wonderfully exotic! I love to cook, and love to eat, but if I'm only preparing a meal for myself, I'm more the PBJ kinda guy...hehehe.

I love to cook. I just love playing with flavours and textures. Being diabetic helps there too. There is always a silver lining isn't there? I am an expert on nutrition because of it. :)

Never had to deal with special dietary considerations. But we are very conscious of the "you are what you eat" philosophy. Nearly all our food is home grown. If I read a label in the store, and can't pronounce the ingredients, it doesn't go in my mouth! Haha! Few things one can't avoid, but knowing what's pure poison is a good thing.

Yes. I try to eat as organically as possible. We also have a great barter system here. I swopped some trout for some fruit and a rabbit. Then someone wanting some wine gave me a load of fresh veg. We seem to do this a lot.

We believe in the barter here too. I like to smoke, mostly food. LOL I am also the self proclaimed "fish pickling master. Last year a friend brought me like 60 salmon. I did the smoking and pickling and only had to return half.

Worked out good for me. I ended up with 30 fish and never went fishing the entire summer!

Troy

Back