Extracts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE extraction, is for pure flavor only by itself not to pleasant but mix with sugars whether in direct contact with the wine or as a base flavor itself, mixed with simple syrup the essence is transformed into a different format and can be powerful or not.:u the extraction process starts with a plan.:slpunderstanding the ups and downs of using extracts comes with trial and error, mostly error, go slow and know what taste profile your trying to achieve.:h

P1030115.jpg

P1030116.jpg

P1030101.jpg

P1030106.jpg

P1030100.jpg

20130516_190837.jpg

20130516_193125.jpg

P1030104.jpg

P1030110.jpg

Last edited:
I recall Runningwolf mentioning this, and I'd like to speak up and say me too! I'd love to make some chocolate extract. I've been reading Joe's thread on extracts so have the everclear, cinnamon sticks and vanilla beans ready. Also some coffee beans and some grapefruit to zest. However as much as I love vanilla and thought it would go oh so well with so many of my wines, when I sat down and did a taste test with purchased extracts (made for beer and wine specifically) I found that I really preferred the addition of chocolate extract. It smoothed out a lot of the young wines, seemed like a great flavor addition. Vanilla, on the other hand, did not improve the wines flavor, seemed to confuse the flavor even. I was mostly testing cranberry and cranberry blends as that is what I had at the time.

Anybody ever make chocolate extract? If yes, please please share recipe and bean source.

Pam in cinti

Anybody ever make chocolate extract? If yes, please please share recipe and bean source.

Pam in cinti

You'll want to find a chocolate bar that is atleast 85% cocoa... The higher, the better... You dont want chocolate with large amounts of added oils/fats/dairy

620-0003.jpg

(Borrowed from Google)

I have one of these on hand.. I'll have to pilfer some vodka from upstairs, and see how it extracts

I know this can be done with the gelatin technique, because they describe white and dark chocolate "essences" here.

I'll give it a go this way and post back. Mine will use powdered cocoa.

I know this can be done with the gelatin technique, because they describe white and dark chocolate "essences" here.

I'll give it a go this way and post back. Mine will use powdered cocoa.

The problem I have found with the powdered coca is that it does not stay separate in the wine. What I mean is when I use a dark chocolate, you get the taste of the wine and a nice chocolate finish. With the powdered coca it just blends in with the wine.

I'll have to pilfer some vodka from upstairs, and see how it extracts

CIMG3371_zps54dc707b.jpg

I survived..
The whole bar in 1 pint 40% ABV vodka; 1 square of 8 was grated

(More on this can be found here)

Last edited:
Julie said:
The problem I have found with the powdered coca is that it does not stay separate in the wine. What I mean is when I use a dark chocolate, you get the taste of the wine and a nice chocolate finish. With the powdered coca it just blends in with the wine.

I've got some 85% Lindt I could try that too.

Love lemon, dried zest sounds wonderful!

I never thought of using actual chocolate bars. I got caught up thinking of using a bean like we do for vanilla. Cocoa beans I guess. anyone ever try that?

Pam in cinti

Well I wasn't planning on more pictures but I moved on to the limes. I've got a secret and willing to share it hear. I bought a zester but "thinking outside of the box" I bought a grater also. After all it's much bigger and will cut the time in half. WRONG!!!:slp After using the grater on the lemons I switched to the smaller zester for the limes. OMG it was 3X's faster. Each bag held about 16 fruits so I think I have enough to start two quarts of each tomorrow.

Lime zester.jpg

Lime Zest.jpg

Love lemon, dried zest sounds wonderful!

I never thought of using actual chocolate bars. I got caught up thinking of using a bean like we do for vanilla. Cocoa beans I guess. anyone ever try that?

Pam in cinti

I took notes from one of Julie's posts ( thanks Julie) and added Lindt's 85% dark chocolate ( 1 bar per pound )to my secondary of Cherry wine, and even though it still has a lot of aging to do, it taste's amazing
I would think cocoa beans would add a different flavor but also good. I have added coffee beans to a secondary and it seems to be tasting good in it's aging.

I used 40% abv or 80 proof vodka in the Lemon and Lime extract. There is approximately 35 grams of zest in each quart. I really like the way the zested lime looks over the grated lemon, just saying. It also floats around rather than sitting on the bottom like the lemon.

Lemon and Lime extract.jpg

It should all settle down in the end and they do look spot on ,wolfman

Latest posts

Back