Extracts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe you are the expert here and I hope you help take the lead here. There is a lot of interest in this lately so I thought it should have a thread of it's own for search purposes.

I would like to make a vanilla and cinnamon extract to begin with. I'm looking at an Ebay store and they have several types of Vanilla beans so that brings up some questions I was ready to hit Joe with but this store answers all of them explaining different grades and such. They explain making an extract just like Joe has explained to us.

There are many more extracts and ways to make them on this forum and I hope everyone that makes them or wants to will chime in here.

Tahitian Vanilla bean is the best. I might not know all about wine but I know my bean!!! lol

Tahitian Vanilla bean is the best. I might not know all about wine but I know my bean!!! lol

Dang too late, I just ordered 1/2 pound of another. Tess is the Tahitian best for cooking. They explained the difference between grade a & b stating use A for cooking buy for extracts just use B.

Any advice on cinnamon before I pull the plug?

Behold the three witches of MacBeth... ruby red grapefruit zest, lemon and lime zest extracts. The lemon and lime are fairly predictable, the grapefruit is down right bizarre. I use inexpensive Ed Wort's Apfelwein as my testing ground. I've found, OK my wife found, good quality Madascar Burbon vanilla extract at the grocery store.

Nice thread Dan. Would it be possible to expand this to a tweak thread in spreadsheet fashion where we can log our experiments and their perceived results over time?

extracts.jpg

Dang too late, I just ordered 1/2 pound of another. Tess is the Tahitian best for cooking. They explained the difference between grade a & b stating use A for cooking buy for extracts just use B.

Any advice on cinnamon before I pull the plug?

it is the best for cooking and even bath salts , candles!! so it is what it is!! I would find it hard to stray from Tahitian because I am a cook and know the bean!! lol

Thanks Tess, I ordered my Cinnamon from Olive Nation. I got 2 pounds for 11.25

cimbaliw that's the type of bean I got. I am also very interested in Joe's zesting so I am happy to see you get that started here. I spread sheet I think is out. A spread sheet could work if there is a whiz out there that wants to build it and maintain it (that's the trick). It's out of my league and time constraints.

You are amazing! :) "Out of your league?" Im afraid to post to some of you all's post. If I do have the confidence to reply i will . So here I have it...I think :) Still might not be right I just know my vanilla bean and I sure I will still get some arguments but I will stick with what I know!! lol make sense??

You are amazing! :) "Out of your league?" Im afraid to post to some of you all's post. If I do have the confidence to reply i will . So here I have it...I think :) Still might not be right I just know my vanilla bean and I sure I will still get some arguments but I will stick with what I know!! lol make sense??

I call it as I see and not afraid to admit it. I'm not ashamed I reached out to a few members on the side that made pear wine when I never did. I would have done the basic's but they gave me added pointers. It's all about taking your wine from good to great.

As far as you making sense, hel! no you never did. :) Kidding!! I love a girl that knows her beans in and out of the bath!

I'm hoping that Saramc will chime in here, she gave me a very easy but extremely good Strawberry extract!

About the only extract I've made, was one for my Banana Bochet Port

Bananas + Brandy

Sat for almost 2 months

Then I strained out the solids

It's since cleared of the sediment/pulp..
I'll take another picture tomorrow, to share.

Bananas + Brandy = Butterscotch
(I have NO idea how, but its overwhelmingly-so)

I call it as I see and not afraid to admit it. I'm not ashamed I reached out to a few members on the side that made pear wine when I never did. I would have done the basic's but they gave me added pointers. It's all about taking your wine from good to great.

As far as you making sense, hel! no you never did. :) Kidding!! I love a girl that knows her beans in and out of the bath!

ahhhh your just mean!! :) just messin! Iv known from day one your a class act even if you dont try to be ;)

A spread sheet could work if there is a whiz out there that wants to build it and maintain it (that's the trick). It's out of my league and time constraints.

Way out of my league too but I know we have at least a handful of members here who could pull this off

It's all about taking your wine from good to great.

I agree. I'd love to hear all the extracts that were done,with what you added it to and how long you aged it

Sorry Runningwolf, I'm not sure how to double quote a post - see how far my computer skills go.lol

Dan you will not go wrong with the Madagascar Vanilla Beans. We have used them for years in making vanilla ( 2 to 3 whole beans in a fifth of light rum) and for baking and in wine. We have used the beans both ways with wine; adding the extract or the whole beans.

I understand you want to go by weight and abv. I'm reading 1/4 pound cut up in small pieces and placed in a qt jar with 35-40% abv alcohol for a month. Shake jar several times a day. I think federal law says to be an actual extract has to be 35%. It was late last night when I read it.

:u Vanilla extract is a solution containing the flavor compound vanillin as the primary ingredient. Pure vanilla extract is made by macerating and percolating vanilla beans in a solution of ethyl alcohol and water. In the United States, in order for a vanilla extract to be called pure, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires that the solution contains a minimum 35% of alcohol and 100g of vanilla beans per litre (13.35 ounces per gallon).[1] Double and triple strength (up to 20-fold) vanilla extracts are available.

Last edited:
About the only extract I've made, was one for my Banana Bochet Port

Bananas + Brandy

Sat for almost 2 months

Then I strained out the solids

It's since cleared of the sediment/pulp..
I'll take another picture tomorrow, to share.

Bananas + Brandy = Butterscotch
(I have NO idea how, but its overwhelmingly-so)

CIMG3363_zpsec380535.jpg

I will second the Madagascar beans. A chef friend of mine just gave me some extract he made starting last May. Leave it alone for 3 months and then filter it through some cheesecloth. He just used Smirnoff vodka. It's really really good.

I bought some Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla beans off ebay a couple of months ago to use when canning peaches. I have 23 left and didn't really know what to do with them. Now I do. Extract time!

lori make some vanilla sugar, it is excellent.
one are two whole beans split in a bout 4 cups sugar.
let sit for about 2 weeks, pull the beans out and stir the clumps out of the sugar, and use the sugar, like normal, coffee, tea, etc.

Latest posts

Back