Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 52762

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Brian and I live in Minneapolis. I am new to winemaking but did some homebrewing many moons ago so at least somewhat familiar with the process.

I have 2 pear trees in my yard that annually produce 100+ pounds of pears. This year I want to ty my hand at pear wine. Currently I am processing and freezing fruit from one of the trees. The second tree (different variety with more and higher quality fruit) will ripen in mid to late August. I am hoping to begin the winemaking process in late August (~3 weeks from now as I write this).

My current dilemma is whether to try to juice the pears or to follow a recipe that adds water to chopped fruit. I don't have crushing and juice extraction equipment (and would like not to invest in them for this first go round) but I do have some equipment I could use. I've been scouring the forums for advise on this front but any advise or direction is most certainly welcome.

Excited about the journey. Cheers.

Welcome to WMT!

That's great about the pears. Last year I had 165 lbs, this year zero. Also zero mulberries. Disappointing. Use them when you have them!

I also don't juice. Light chop, freeze, they turn to mush. The key is to use VERY ripe pears.

Being a new wine maker, pear and water might be the way to go and it's easy. As long as you use 6+ lbs of pears you won't be disappointed, it's a very nice wine.

All pear no water, bit more work, you'll really like it. Fortunately with a freezer you don't have to decide right away.

And for future reference, I find that a little ginger goes well with pear as does cinnamon.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the tips. I think I am going to go the easy route and not juice.
Something to consider is that pear is very mild flavored. I made pear with water in the distant past, and was underwhelmed. If I was going to do it again, I'd go all fruit, especially if I had 100+ lbs.

Welcome from Lakeville!

In case you haven't gotten the memo, Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer are closing their stores at the end of the month. After that, they will be online only.

They have some specials if you sign up on their websites before then. I am signed up on both, even though all the product comes from the same place. MS is generally cheaper but the free shipping amount is higher.

Brewing sounds like more work to me. Winemaking is a procrastinator's dream hobby! 😁

Brewing sounds like more work to me. Winemaking is a procrastinator's dream hobby!
So is beer making. I have had the ingredients for my beer for months. The equipment weeks. I just need to put it all together and get myself organized. Somehow beer seems more like a thing and I am leery to jump in. 150 gallon of wine in 18 months, and I'm procrastinating to dip my toe in. :rolleyes:

Go figure!

I assume this means per gallon of primary?

Thanks for the tips. I think I am going to go the easy route and not juice.
Sorry, yes, per gallon. I personally wouldn't go below 6 lbs and more (with pear) is always better.

My first pear wine almost 2 years ago used a little over 6 lbs, I liked it, it's gone. I could still taste pear. Last year all pear, more work, liked it even more.

Welcome to WMT

I have used 100% juice after freezing. Fruit which has been in the freezer for a week can weep juice after it is thawed. If I was adding water it would be because I wanted to increase the volume to fill a carboy. I would use the logic of do wineries add water to make grape wine, no.

There ought to be places in town where you can rent a press. Also have you looked for a local wine club I have access to that through the local Vinters club.

Something to consider is that pear is very mild flavored. I made pear with water in the distant past, and was underwhelmed. If I was going to do it again, I'd go all fruit, especially if I had 100+ lbs.
I agree, that would be "Perry" I think.
I tried that some years ago and according to my records, I got 1 gallon of juice for every 40+pounds of Asian pears. They were pressed without coring, only removed stem end and chopped / mashed, then pressed.
But as stated, if you have plenty of fruit...
SG was 1.050

Latest posts

Back