New member from MS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, I don't think there is a better way to get introduced to winemaking than starting with kits. However the instructions tend to be somewhat confusing at times. I could be completely wrong but I can't see how a wine can be totally degassed in the manner and timeframe the instructions indicate. It definitely needs to be degassed enough to allow the wine to clear as @winemaker81 mentioned. As long and the fermentation is complete (although not recommended) I don't believe the remaining CO2 will cause the corks to dislodge.

Wine bottled per the instructions will be fine to drink. It will be hard to resist trying but don't get discouraged if you are not happy with the results. Even aging in the bottle will make the wine better. Also as mentioned natural degassing and bottling is a personal preference depending on your schedule, needs and wants. The decision to wait gets easier if you make more wine than you can drink or supplement it with commercial wines.

I might have gotten a little off topic but good luck with your journey.

Welcome, I don't think there is a better way to get introduced to winemaking than starting with kits. However the instructions tend to be somewhat confusing at times. I could be completely wrong but I can't see how a wine can be totally degassed in the manner and timeframe the instructions indicate. It definitely needs to be degassed enough to allow the wine to clear as @winemaker81 mentioned. As long and the fermentation is complete (although not recommended) I don't believe the remaining CO2 will cause the corks to dislodge.

Wine bottled per the instructions will be fine to drink. It will be hard to resist trying but don't get discouraged if you are not happy with the results. Even aging in the bottle will make the wine better. Also as mentioned natural degassing and bottling is a personal preference depending on your schedule, needs and wants. The decision to wait gets easier if you make more wine than you can drink or supplement it with commercial wines.

I might have gotten a little off topic but good luck with your journey.
Thanks Fred. I feel much better regarding my first attempt at winemaking. I just racked my 2nd batch, added kmeta, installed bung and airlock, and set it aside to age.

I like dry red wines; I am not a fan of anything sweet.

I am starting with kits to educate myself. I plan to move up to skins and then to grapes. I will accumulate equipment as I progress. Speaking of equipment, do you use any equipment like the Blichmann WineEasy?

As I age, I look for easier ways to do things. What are some of your equipment recommendations?

Thanks again for your input.
I highly recommend an All In One Wine pump. I can't lift a full 5 gallon carboy, and with my AIO I never have to!

An auto-siphon is also essential for me; at bottling time, I rack into a bucket so I can't use my AIO since I can't pull a vacuum on the receiving bucket. The small batch wine equipment kit Hubby gave me for Christmas that started my wine making journey did not include an auto-siphon so I struggled with trying to get the siphon started at every racking.

Good luck and have fun!

Speaking of equipment, do you use any equipment like the Blichmann WineEasy?

As I age, I look for easier ways to do things. What are some of your equipment recommendations?
First I’ve heard of the WineEasy. It looks interesting but kind of pricey. I started a small hobby vineyard last year so some larger fermenters are In my future. I haven’t yet started comparing products.

I second the all-in-one wine pump. After pulling a muscle in my back last week it’s definitely moved up on the wish list.

So far I have a variety of Brute trash cans and buckets for primary, lots of glass carboys, a bottling bucket, and a manual siphon. I have a small press but recently purchased a larger one that I will restore.

One of my biggest “needs” is a space to make wine. Right now it’s a little used basement bathroom where I wash equipment in the tub. We are starting a small home addition next week that will include basement space where I will install a used commercial sink and some used cabinets. That will greatly ease my space constraints.

I highly recommend an All In One Wine pump. I can't lift a full 5 gallon carboy, and with my AIO I never have to!

An auto-siphon is also essential for me; at bottling time, I rack into a bucket so I can't use my AIO since I can't pull a vacuum on the receiving bucket. The small batch wine equipment kit Hubby gave me for Christmas that started my wine making journey did not include an auto-siphon so I struggled with trying to get the siphon started at every racking.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the input.

First I’ve heard of the WineEasy. It looks interesting but kind of pricey. I started a small hobby vineyard last year so some larger fermenters are In my future. I haven’t yet started comparing products.

I second the all-in-one wine pump. After pulling a muscle in my back last week it’s definitely moved up on the wish list.

So far I have a variety of Brute trash cans and buckets for primary, lots of glass carboys, a bottling bucket, and a manual siphon. I have a small press but recently purchased a larger one that I will restore.

One of my biggest “needs” is a space to make wine. Right now it’s a little used basement bathroom where I wash equipment in the tub. We are starting a small home addition next week that will include basement space where I will install a used commercial sink and some used cabinets. That will greatly ease my space constraints.
Thanks for the input. I recently ordered a wine transfer pump, should arrive soon.

Latest posts

Back