Extracts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work with spreadsheets all day long. I can manage a spreadsheet.
Google drive would be one place to put it.

Dan, is this thread limited to alcohol extracts or are successful gelatin extracts also welcome? Not all of my gelatin extract trials have been successful, but some have (banana, coconut).

Good Eats Vanilla Extract

There is an episode of Good Eats on The food Network where Alton Brown discusses Vanilla at length. I remember he made extract. The episode is Season 9 Episode 14. I have been looking for a while for a link to videos of that episode. The best I came up with was a transcript of the show. All videos of that episode I find have been blocked due to copyright infringements. WTH.

RR

Extrats and simple syurp

"THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX" be creative with extracts and simple syrup............................follow the thought process:wy

P1030099.jpg

P1030100.jpg

P1030101.jpg

P1030102.jpg

P1030103.jpg

P1030104.jpg

P1030105.jpg

P1030106.jpg

P1030107.jpg

P1030108.jpg

I have been making my own extracts for many years.

For almond use raw almonds. The tricky part is removing the brown skin on each almond. If you do not remove the brown "skin" on each almond or the extract will be bitter. I generally use Bacardi light rum but know others who use Vodka.

Place almonds in a jar and top with rum or vodka. Place a tight fitting lid on the jar. Shake daily. Store the jar away from light. I keep them in a cupboard.
When ready to use pour through a coffee filter that will fit in a sieve. I only strain what I am going to use and leave the rest in the jar. Extracts will last literally years.

To correct the statement above from geek, extracts are not sweeteners and are rather bitter if used as they are. They are flavors and often sugar is need to make them less bitter.

Take a dip your finger in an extract and taste. While they smell wonderful they are very bitter to the taste because they are super concentrated with flavor.

Fun with extracts

:brEXTRACTS HAVE BEEN ARE AS LONG AS WINE AND BEER MAKING,EXTRACTING THE ESSENES HAS DIFFERENT FORMATS BUT ARE SIMILAR,THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX AND HAVE FUN WITH EXTRACTS :br:br:br:br:br

P1030117.jpg

P1030119.jpg

P1030121.jpg

P1030116.jpg

P1030113.jpg

P1030111.jpg

P1030110.jpg

P1030114.jpg

I work with spreadsheets all day long. I can manage a spreadsheet.
Google drive would be one place to put it.

Dan, is this thread limited to alcohol extracts or are successful gelatin extracts also welcome? Not all of my gelatin extract trials have been successful, but some have (banana, coconut).

Sorry I missed answering this. I think it would be nice to post all successful extracts.

Sammy and Joe thank you very much for your contributions. This is exactly what I am looking for on this thread.

Sammy can you please give more detailed information. How many almonds per qt jar? How many ounces or did you just fill it to the top. I've read a small amount and I've seen drastically different recipes. Just like the wine I like to hear what works for you, as we know there is many ways to skin a ...ahh a lemon.

I would add it when I do bench trails for sweetening or blending. This is a crap shoot. I have never used it before for wines but I might start. An example might be just a tad of vanilla for reds. Whether it is for wine or food there is a lot of interest and experience in it so I wanted to give it a thread of it's own. Joe, doesn't do many things right (only kidding!!:w) but of all his great posts this part always has stuck in my mind. He's been talking about since years ago way back in Georges day (if you know George). Heck I might even try a chocolate extract...stay tuned!!!

The why and when

EXTRACTS, can be used for many different reasons, they can be used for adding a sub flavor to a wine, they can be used as a main ingredient in cellos and they can be used to correct a good wine that's gone bad AN FINALLY TO CREATE WINE OF IT'S OWN

THAT'S THE WHY

ADDING IT TO A WINE IN THE THIRD STAGE OF THE PROCESS LETS YOU ADD BY TASTE THE AMOUNT OF ENHANCEMENT YOU REQUIRE AND BEFORE CHEMS,AND FINEING AGENTS.

THAT'S THE WHEN

MOST of all their fun to create with just think of the possibility ..........................................:wy

I must say this is an awesome thread, I am really enjoying this. Like Runningwolf, I would add extracts when I am backsweetening or making final adjustments.

I just started a citrus extract by grating the zest off 1 grapefruit, 2 lemons, and 2 limes and soaking the zest in Everclear.
I made a batch of Hibiscus Wine last year and in a few weeks when the extract is ready I'm going to add it to the hibiscus wine before bottling.
in Jamaica they have a drink made from hibiscus where they add citrus to it. I'm shooting to make something similar, but with a kick of course. :)

Citrus Extract.jpg

"The tricky part is removing the brown skin on each almond"

I've gotta think this is a tannin rich area of the seed. As we all search for G packs and other ways of bolstering our wines there may be a Holy Grail in some of these unwanted, "bitter" parts of the plant.

BC

Back