Extracts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
please explain the second to the last picture, the one with strawberrys and napkins, and plastic forks...
thanks.

Club set up

TE PICS WITH THE STRAWBERRY'S AND BLUE TABLE CLOTHS THAT'S WERE WE WERE SITTING UP FOR A WINE CLUB MEETING.:f1:f1:f1:f1

There is an anise extract, used to make black licorice. So yes, I think it is possible.

GO ON OLIVE NATION .COM you'll find it there ,some times the element you want is better than you can make at home do to the chemistry involved....................work smarter not harder.:mny

Last edited:
anise are star anise is used in licorice.
thanks joe, I kind of thought that was for a wine tasting.

Thanks for the site Joe. I loved that not only did they offer the product but that you could also get the recipe to do it yourself.

Julie said:
The problem I have found with the powdered coca is that it does not stay separate in the wine. What I mean is when I use a dark chocolate, you get the taste of the wine and a nice chocolate finish. With the powdered coca it just blends in with the wine.

Anyone with chocolate experience - is it possible to put pure unsweetened chocolate straight into the secondary or will it go bad?

vernsgal said:
I took notes from one of Julie's posts ( thanks Julie) and added Lindt's 85% dark chocolate ( 1 bar per pound )to my secondary of Cherry wine, and even though it still has a lot of aging to do, it taste's amazing I would think cocoa beans would add a different flavor but also good. I have added coffee beans to a secondary and it seems to be tasting good in it's aging.

Ah just saw this post... How much chocolate per gallon?

Ah just saw this post... How much chocolate per gallon?

This is something you'll have to experiment with. Start low and add more if you think you need it. I did this with an ice wine and also a cherry several years ago.

I don't want to taste chocolate when I first take a drink. I look for a hint of it on the back pallet or second taste.

Thanks yes that is what I am aiming for... A subtle hint that you can't quite put your finger on. Do you know what a good starting point would be? It would almost seem moot to try to go by taste at first? Wouldn't the flavors meld and change so much during aging?

I posted another thread called adding chocolate to elderberry wine with more information on what I'm trying to achieve with one of my batches... Thanks for your response Runningwolf!

I would try maybe an ounce per gallon. I don't remember exactly how much I used as it's been several years but maybe Julie might have some other advice on this.

Ok thanks very much! I'm in no rush as this wine will take awhile anyway!

Latest posts

Back