Extracts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice glass ware

CAN YOU DOWNLOAD ME THAT SITE TO PURCHASE SOME OF THAT STEM WARE FOR MY DINNING ROOM.:pic

From our canning days we sold cases of Ball jars. When our girls were young we had many fruit trees and a very large garden and froze or canned everything. Even made our own kraut in a crock back then.

Kept a few quarts, pints and half pints. Work wonderfully for putting lees in to draw off the wine on the top once it has settled. Some times we pour the wine off the top and just drink it and then the rest of the lees go down the drain Or sometimes it is just enough to top off a 750ml bottle. Actually they also work well for some left overs because you can clearly see what is in them in the fridge.

Chocolate extract, gelatin filtered. Technique described here.
First try using cocoa powder was a complete failure.
This was 1/2 batch using one bar Lindt 85%, 1 cup water, 7g gelatin. No sugar.
The yield was a little low, but after all it was a 1/2 batch.
Smell and flavor are very strong and extract is crystal clear.

photo2.JPG

The idea was to make an extract. I haven't added it to anything yet.

Does chocolate in the secondary cloud the wine? I haven't done it that way yet.

The idea with gelatin filtering is to get a clear extract that doesn't cloud the wine and gives some precision in adjustments. Maybe it is just me, but I feel like I have better control this way. See other thread for banana and coconut extracts done in this manner.

I don't claim this is the best way to do chocolate or anything else; just another tool in the toolbox. :h

It is so good to see a good sense of humor...Excellent pic runningwolf, can i get a set of 4...LOL. I will even pay shipping.......

The idea was to make an extract. I haven't added it to anything yet.

The idea with gelatin filtering is to get a clear extract that doesn't cloud the wine and gives some precision in adjustments. Maybe it is just me, but I feel like I have better control this way. See other thread for banana and coconut extracts done in this manner.

I don't claim this is the best way to do chocolate or anything else; just another tool in the toolbox. :h

I've put the chocolate straight in my secondary (Cherry wine) and didn't have any clearing issues.

I do like the extracts.Sometimes it's easier to add and you can use them for things other than wine.
(also I always seem to eat the chocolate before it makes it to my wine):i

Chocolate extract, gelatin filtered. Technique described here.
First try using cocoa powder was a complete failure.
This was 1/2 batch using one bar Lindt 85%, 1 cup water, 7g gelatin. No sugar.
The yield was a little low, but after all it was a 1/2 batch.
Smell and flavor are very strong and extract is crystal clear.

Stressbaby I like what you're trying to do. This is exactly what Joe always talks about "thinking outside..." Knowing most extracts are made with alcohol, I wonder if it would make any difference. I have actually gone to stores to see what the alcohol content is for each extract I make so I can replicate it.This would certainly help control the amount of flavor you add.

It is so good to see a good sense of humor...Excellent pic runningwolf, can i get a set of 4...LOL. I will even pay shipping.......

James :ft Now I know how JohnT feels. Welches should be the only drink you're allowed to drink out of these monstrosities.

Well, with any luck my beans should be here today. I'm going to give this a shot...May also esperiment with adding a vanilla bean to some Cab to see how it affects the taste.

Holy Smokes. The bottles already arrived. Ordered on the 7th and arrived today on the 11th. Now that is fast customer service, especially since I don't need them for another 10 weeks or so. 128 bottles and caps!!

bottles 01.jpg

Bottles 02.jpg

4 oz Julie. I wanted 4 & 8 but to get a decent price I had to order by the case. I figured 4 was more practical especially for gifts.

And I don't have to scrape off any labels :)

I hear ya about the labels. They looked bigger than that and yes I agree on the 4 0z size for gifts.

I have a question, why would you add sugar to a lemon extract? The recipe I have is to add 1 tsp of sugar, one lemon and 1/2 cup of vodka.

Julie this is the recipe I am using;

How to Make Homemade Lemon Extract
This recipe is based on the post “How to Making Baking Extracts” from the Denver Post.

Combine the zest from 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon sugar and ½ cup 80 proof (40% alcohol by weight) vodka. Don’t use the pith (white part) of the lemon- just stick to the yellow – as the pitch is bitter. I like to use my Microplane zester to get a beautiful, fine lemon zest.

lemon zest for homemade extract
Lemon zest with the Microplane Zester
lemon zest for making homemade lemon extract

Place zest, sugar and vodka in a lidded, glass jar.

Shake the bottle once a day for at least a month, and you have homemade lemon extract. I usually aim for two to three months. The flavor will improve with age.

Strain the finished extract through cheesecloth, a coffee filter or a flour sack towel to filter and place in a dark bottle. Alternatively, just pour off a small portion for use and allow the rest to continue steeping.

Store in a cool, dark location

We must be looking at the same recipe and guesss what I left out the sugar but I may add it now or wait. I just made up 2 gallons of simple syrup and I might just use that by taste at the end. My vanilla recipe also calls for sugar. I think it helps to smooth alcohol taste.

I found the lime zest I had zested about 6 months ago. My son was supposed to get me some everclear to make Lime Cello but was unable to. I had the zest of about 16 limes in a rubbermaid container with about 2 oz of vodka. I opened the container and could still smell the lime even after putting it back in the fridge. I'll have to add this to some alcohol and let it set for a while and see how it turns out.

Dan, I think we are looking at the same recipe, I went ahead and added the sugar.

Doug, how about adding some to your skeeter pee that you use lime.

I started a batch of lemon, lime, almond and I had a pile of mint outside so I started one of those as well.

Julie, I was thinking about almond. Can you share what you did?

What ideas do you guys have for the lime extract? I am thinking for Gin and Tonics. Now the big one...how about a teaspoon full (amount to be determined) in a Corona?

Here it is. I got this from commonsense.com. I ended up using 13 simply because by the time I scrapped off the brown skin I felt that I lost an almond in the process.

How to Make Homemade Almond Extract

Commercial almond extract is made with bitter almonds, which contain a cyanide precursor, which I don’t suggest brewing at home. In fact, some folks argue that you should use natural almond extract at all, only the synthetic. For my part, I’m more likely to trust nature than chemists, and I’ve read that the same pits and seeds that contain the cyanide precursors also contain anti-cancer compounds. I don’t go out of my way to consume extra seeds and pits, but I don’t worry if they occasionally get eaten.
These instructions are based on the E-how post “How to Make Your Own Almond Extract“. By now, you know the drill, but we’ll go through the steps and proportions.

Use 12 whole, raw skinless almonds and one pint 80 proof (40% alcohol by weight) vodka for every pint of extract that you want to make. (For one cup of extract, use 6 almonds, and so on.) My almonds had been in the freezer for while, so I used more. The skins will make the extract more bitter, so it’s been to opt for skinless.
Chop almonds and place almonds and vodka in a lidded, glass jar. More surface area means more flavor transfer from almonds to alcohol.
Shake the bottle once a day for at least a month, and you have homemade almond extract. I usually aim for two to three months. The flavor will improve with age.
Strain the finished extract through cheesecloth, a coffee filter or a flour sack towel to filter and place in a dark bottle. Alternatively, just pour off a small portion for use and allow the rest to continue steeping.
Store in a cool, dark location. This extract will not taste as strong as commercial almond extracts, so you may want to make a small batch and see if you like it before making it in quantity.

Dan, I think we are looking at the same recipe, I went ahead and added the sugar.

Doug, how about adding some to your skeeter pee that you use lime.

I started a batch of lemon, lime, almond and I had a pile of mint outside so I started one of those as well.

Julie, I was thinking about almond. Can you share what you did?

What ideas do you guys have for the lime extract? I am thinking for Gin and Tonics. Now the big one...how about a teaspoon full (amount to be determined) in a Corona?

The lime in a gin and tonic or Corona would probably be good. I would need to dilute this down. As I said, it was the zest from about 16 limes in only 2-3 oz of vodka. I did this as I figured the alcohol and the fridge would preserve the lime zest until I got everclear. Never did get the everclear. This almost got tossed several times but I managed to save it.

Latest posts

Back