WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tallied the results from the PA judging and the Virginia judging and have sent the results to Jim(Boatboy24) for his review. I'm sure once he reviews he will post the results.

OK, the moment is finally here!

First off, thanks for letting me take part in this. It really was enjoyable and educational for me. As I said last night, the field was strong, and we were impressed with the entries.

So, it brings me great pleasure to announce that the winner of the WMT (unofficial) Welch's Wine Competion is:

CHASEMANDINGO for his "Tropical Rain"!!!! :pty

Coming in Second place is ChiPass (Jojabri)

Rounding out the top three is Rodnboro's Sweet Georgia Blueberry.

The winner of the label competion is JeriCurl for her "Goblin Fruit" entry. Honorable mentions go to Kraffty (White Washed) and Danger Dave (Pepi's Passion)

Congratulations to all of you. It is pretty impressive what you were able to create in a mere 6 months using Welch's.

Doug and I will be sending tasting notes to all the entrants via PM. I plan to have mine out in the next 24 hours.

OK, the moment is finally here!

First off, thanks for letting me take part in this. It really was enjoyable and educational for me. As I said last night, the field was strong, and we were impressed with the entries.

So, it brings me great pleasure to announce that the winner of the WMT (unofficial) Welch's Wine Competion is:

CHASEMANDINGO for his "Tropical Rain"!!!! :pty

Coming in Second place is ChiPass (Jojabri)

Rounding out the top three is Rodnboro's Sweet Georgia Blueberry.

The winner of the label competion is JeriCurl for her "Goblin Fruit" entry. Honorable mentions go to Kraffty (White Washed) and Danger Dave (Pepi's Passion)

Congratulations to all of you. It is pretty impressive what you were able to create in a mere 6 months using Welch's.

Doug and I will be sending tasting notes to all the entrants via PM. I plan to have mine out in the next 24 hours.

It was an honor to judge such an esteemed contest. There were a wide variety of wines to sample. It was a fun experience and all who participated at our house enjoyed the event. Congrats to the winners. I will attempt to get comments out soon...

Congrats to everyone who participated! Thank you to the wonderful judges, and Congrats to all of our winners!
:try:try:try

Thanks for all the fun that this competition has allowed us. As promised I shall divulge the recipe so here it goes.

Tropical rain

Two 64 oz. bottles of Welch's White Grape Mango

Two lbs frozen chunked mango

Juice and zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange

1 oz Medium toast american oak

Rainforest Honey

Pectic enzyme

Nutrient and energizer

Lavlin QA23

1 Tsp. Acid blend

1/4 tsp. Tannin Riche Extra

Add juice to the bucket along with lemon and orange juice plus nutrient, energizer and pectic enzyme. Honey was added until s.g. reached 1.08. Add the medium toast oak wrapped in sterilized panty hose. Place chunked mango and zest into a nylon mesh bag and add to the must. Squeeze bag thoroughly and allow to sit overnight. Pitch the yeast the next day. Stir must and squeeze bag daily. When dry rack into carboy and stabilize. Add the acid blend at this time as well. After the first layer of sediment drops (a couple of weeks) rack to clean carboy and add tannin. Allow wine to age at least a month then add 1/2 cup honey and enough sugar to bring s.g. up to 1.008. Add super kleer. Rack when clear and bulk age as long as your heart desires!

Congrats Chasemandingo! Making a winner out of mango takes some talent. I had mango juice in mine and couldn't even taste it. I will definitely try your recipe. Where do you get "rainforest" honey?

Congrats also to ALL the winners and runners up. Don't know about y'all, but this was a fun experience for me.
what I learned; next round, I will take more time planning. I was so worried about getting a wine that could age longer, I didn't really plan it as well as I should have.

Congratulations to Chasemandingo. You definitely put much more thought and talent in your wine than I did in mine. Thanks for the recipe. It sounds tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Congratulations Chasemandingo, Jojabri and Rodnboro. Like Lori said it was another learning experience, unfortunately for me a "back to the drawing board" experience, but it was a lot of fun. Now, how to make the three gallons I have left drinkable.
Mike

Congratulations Jojabri. I'm curious as to what kind of wine you made.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

From left to right:

Wineforfun (Concord Delight)
JeriCurl (Goblin Fruit)
Kraffty (White Washed)
Rodnboro (Sweet Georgia Blueberry)
Chasemandingo (Tropical Rain)
Jojabri (Gentle Georgia - it should be noted this was a "peel away" label, with a second label underneath)
Danger Dave (Pepi's Passion)
LoneStarLori (Childhood Friend)

Thanks Jim. You guys did an awesome job of judging, I am not sure it I could have made a decision on the label. Jericurl and Kraffty's labels were very unique and that is what made them stand out. But with that said, every one of those labels are just awesome!

Back