WMT (Unofficial) Dragon Blood Variant Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was quite serprised to get mine, but not as serprised as the UPS store owner.... Who received it! Ops! Good thing he is a freind and neighbore. The envelope was adressed to his store with both my mothers name and my name on it. Guess the cats out of the bag as to what I had shipped last:)
I thought I had clearly writen my return adress and name, but guess it got smudged. :).

Here is my wonderfull medal on the last jug of wine waiting to be bottled, or drunk:)
ImageUploadedByWine Making1411474295.263035.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

wild picked sounds good to me, as I just got done picking wild plums. :) I got some plums last year from a cultivated tree and pitted them before I froze them....Not going to do that with these, They are really no bigger than a bing cherry! But after reading some ideas here, I may make these plums the Dragon's Blood Way!

I hadn't been on in several days, work has gotten in the way...those medals are very nice, Gina. did you send UPS or USPS? We don't get home delivery with the mail, so best go check the mail today...and if UPS, I have't seen mine yet. Gina has set the standard pretty high for future judges!

Last edited:
did you send UPS or USPS?!

It was sent USPS

Gina has set the standard pretty high for future judges!

Not really, I was pretty surprised at how affordable the medals were. You have to keep in mind that I'm an insane-money-saving-coupon-clipping-momma. I mean seriously... I label my wines Chi Pass.

Fortunately I had a dye-sublimating printer that made the custom ones look a lot more professional than a regular printer. Those were blank when they arrived on my doorstep and I designed, printed, and attached each graphic separately. Had I had known that the custom ones I printed would have turned out was well as they did, I would have made the 1st and 2nd place ones that way. Funny that the 1st and 2nd place ones cost more than the custom ones, but the custom ones were "prettier." Oh well.

If future judges want information or help on future contest medals, I'll be glad to pass on information about where I ordered and how I customized them.

I thought I had clearly writen my return adress and name, but guess it got smudged. :).

I can't recall seeing another address, I may have just missed it. Sorry, My bad! I'm glad the UPS guy knew who you were!!!

I can't recall seeing another address, I may have just missed it. Sorry, My bad! I'm glad the UPS guy knew who you were!!!

It pays to bribe people with goodies from the farm:) Works wonders at the mechanics too!

Dang! I suppose Rod and I will have to figure out what we're making next...:dgI'll need a drink for this one...

Well I think it needs to be a wine that doesn't need to age so we can keep these contests hopping. I like the mist style kits idea but I'm open to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Ok, Mist Wine Kits it is! That was easy! Everybody get their hands on an Island Mist or Orchard Breezin kit and we'll hash out a few rules.

I know we'll want to do a tweak or improvement, but any ideas on what to incorporate into the contest? Or we can keep it wide open and just go for the best mist wine you can make, allowing whatever tweaks or changes desired.

Count me in

For rules I would suggest start with a mist style kit and tweak away?

Not sure what kit I will do. Or how to make it better. So many choices! I just hope I don't make the kit worse

Like I posted earlier, the Cornucopia kits are good and they can be purchased on Amazon for under $50.00. If DB Master Dave is ok with it, we can also allow these.

Like I posted earlier, the Cornucopia kits are good and they can be purchased on Amazon for under $50.00. If DB Master Dave is ok with it, we can also allow these.

Not to add any more potential competition, because I think I have a pretty good game plan in place.. but after I read Rodnboro's post, I checked out Amazon, and the Cornucopia Amazon store was offering Free shipping AND $5 off. The one I was looking at quoted under $37.... Sooooo .... something worth looking at. Perhaps.

Okay, I think it's about time for someone to start a new thread for the new contest. I just ordered 2 kits, my first 2 kits... hubby paid for them as a birthday-versary gift ( I got a good hubby).

Thanks for goading/coercing/enticing me to try a kit guys, It's a whole new adventure for me! I still think I may as well drive my happy butt up to Ohio and hand-deliver my submission.. gas would prolly be cheaper than UPS shipping.

Wow, Gina's doing kits?! It's a brand new world!

Any cheap "mist wine" kit, including the Corucopias will do.

This is my time of year for getting outdoor/house projects done, so I'm not on line much. Got plenty to do before winter, so please be patient with me. New thread will be up and running soon.

Okay, I think it's about time for someone to start a new thread for the new contest. I just ordered 2 kits, my first 2 kits... hubby paid for them as a birthday-versary gift ( I got a good hubby).

Thanks for goading/coercing/enticing me to try a kit guys, It's a whole new adventure for me! I still think I may as well drive my happy butt up to Ohio and hand-deliver my submission.. gas would prolly be cheaper than UPS shipping.

Guess I need a hubby! I knew one would come in handy some day!

Well, you are one up on me. I have also never done a kit, and have no space to start now. My freezer is overfull and the carboys are all full. No room for adding any new ones either!

I think $60 is the new "low end kit" price. Terribly sorry if this prices some people out of the contest. That was not my intent.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1412205065.938395.jpg

I'm in! Don't look at the price tag on this one. I bought it at a mom and pop brew and vint on site place in a very rural area. I was passing through and needed some other supplies. I tried talking him down on the price. No go. I bought it anyway considering I'd spend an easy $10 on gas getting to my nearest LHBS.

Note: this kit took gold in an international wine making competition. So good luck everybody ;)

Last edited:
I think they put those gold stickers on all of them Calvin, so don't get cocky! :)

I know I was being a smart a$$. After the last contest everyone knows there is better winemakers out there than this guy.

I feel even more like I got ripped off now. Just read a post of ginas. She got 2 kits for $50

Good luck everyone!

Well, I did manage to catch the cornucopia kits with an extra $5 coupon off each, plus I had some Amazon credit from my Swagbucks app. Unfortunately, the first kut that arrived was ripped upbeat the box seam with part of the bag hanging out. I also noticed later that one of the bags inside was sticky. Not sure if it's still good or not. I'm gonna run it up the flagpole anyway. Amazon did refund me for that one.

I had planned on using one if these kits as a part of a beginners wine making course this weekend at our local library. Its a ratty looking box, berhaps I can tape it up to maybe make it look better.

If it makes ya feel any better Calvin... I don't have any fancy gold stickers... but I do have a solid game plan in mind.

Back