WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Thank you Jim and Doug. This was a lot of fun. I find it interesting that the simplest label is the wine winner. Just goes to show you, looks aren't everything. Mom was right.

Congratulations to all the winners. I'm sure this was a vary difficult contest to judge so a special thank you to all the folks that help in the judging. The labels would be really tough as they are all so cool looking. You guys all rock!!

I managed to grab a couple snaps.

Awaiting the judges:

64ea2939deae4c781298505222d7f07d_zpse4c5d049.jpg

Neighbors Russ and Monica along with my wife, Jen.

d89d4f512471d97d3acc6c2eb5ac3f89_zpsdfc2c392.jpg

Congrats to the winners and thanks to all that sent in wines. It was close judging. Thanks chase for posting the recipe as my wife sucked down most of the bottle. We have some very talented wine/label makers on this site.

We look forward to the next contest....

I just realized in the pic I posted, I had Wineforfun's Concord Delight facing the wrong way. Sorry about that. :e

Doug: If you have a pic, could you post it?

Also, I've now sent comments to all entrants. If you haven't received comments from me, let me know.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the winners, great job guys.

I'm definitely going to be trying these recipes.

And thank you to the judges for taking the time to do this. The pictures are lovely and I'm thankful for the comments. And none of them were scathing, which I expected, lol.

I just realized in the pic I posted, I had Wineforfun's Concord Delight facing the wrong way. Sorry about that. :e

Doug: If you have a pic, could you post it?

Also, I've now sent comments to all entrants. If you haven't received comments from me, let me know.

I can post later from home. Dont have an individual picture of that one...That was the first one in the pic I posted of all of them.

My thanks to everyone for making this go around a resounding success! Judges, participants, lurkers, thank you all!

Great job Chase, Gina, Rod, Jericurl, and all the rest. I know it was a stretch tagging mine with an "honorable mention", but I appreciate it. Lesson for me: Contests are not a good time for experimentation!

Chase, thanks for posting your notes. And, again, all the rest of you for making this so much fun!

Now, what do we do next? Who's up for a port contest, or a Dragon Blood varition competition, or do we have other ideas? I'm up for anything!

Definately ready for the next adventure. DB sounds more reasonable to me. Could perhaps even shoot for a three month DB competition so we can judge around the end of summer. Really show off the vinters skills at taking a young drinking wine and making it all it can be! Also, the rainforest honey I used was darker than clover but not as dark as buckwheat. It had a spicy floral quality that was more intense than clover as well.

Last edited:
A DB contest appeals to me. I've never made port. We might have to draw straws to see who judges. I bet it would include some great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

The dragon blood appeals to me as well. I've only done the original recipe, so I'd have to go against Dave's advice and enter the competition with a complete experiment. But count me in.

There's been suggestions for a Dragon Blood variation contest since we started having these little competitions last year. I agree that we should do this, especially now that warm weather is here and fermentations are vigorous and seldom fail. I noticed the distinct sound of crickets chirping when I suggested a DB contest judged by me, so I'll just drop that over here <plop>.

I did like the idea of the previous winner(s) judging the next contest, though. So, if we did a DB competition, Chase and Gina would be our esteemed judges (with their cooperation, of course). Consider this a formal request to you two.

Ok, let's hash out the rules. I need everyone's input...

1) Is it fair for me to compete in this? I'd hate to win and have everyone go, "Well, duh!"
2) How do we define a DB variation? What hard rules do we need (as few as possible) to make this competition unique?
3) Judges---aready covered.

We can use this thread to rough out our rules for the next contest, and then start a new thread for sed contest. Go!

There's been suggestions for a Dragon Blood variation contest since we started having these little competitions last year. I agree that we should do this, especially now that warm weather is here and fermentations are vigorous and seldom fail. I noticed the distinct sound of crickets chirping when I suggested a DB contest judged by me, so I'll just drop that over here <plop>.

I did like the idea of the previous winner(s) judging the next contest, though. So, if we did a DB competition, Chase and Gina would be our esteemed judges (with their cooperation, of course). Consider this a formal request to you two.

Ok, let's hash out the rules. I need everyone's input...

1) Is it fair for me to compete in this? I'd hate to win and have everyone go, "Well, duh!"
2) How do we define a DB variation? What hard rules do we need (as few as possible) to make this competition unique?
3) Judges---aready covered.

We can use this thread to rough out our rules for the next contest, and then start a new thread for sed contest. Go!

My thoughts:
1. You need to be included! We need the incentive and competition to do our best.
2. Follow your recipe with the exception of fruit. Allow any fruit, concentrate, or juice to substitute.
3. Judges are good with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

You're just a big bundle of great ideas, Rod. I'm in!

As far as the recipe goes, I'd like to allow for more variation. I know some folks like to make theirs with more or less lemon juice, or higher/lower OG, or more/less back sweetening, for example. Some like to add oak or bananas or raisins or extra tannin. Do you think we can allow for such variations while still remaining true to the recipe and a unified competition?

The recipe I make now is a variation in itself of the original recipe. For me, I now add some oak to the primary, and finishing tannins.

Last edited:
I don't know much about db yet but it seems to be defined by lemon juice concentrate and frozen fruit, right? How about a minimum amount of ozs. of juice and minimum lbs of any frozen fruit. Free for all after that.....

I've been wanting to give this a shot so it might as well be now. I'm in too.
Mike

Sounds good, Mike.

How about a minimum of 2oz per gallon of lemon juice, thus keeping the DB variations true to it's Skeeter Pee roots (Thanks, Lon!)? That would be a minimum of 12oz for six gallons. I normally use four times that amount.

And a minimum one pound of fruit per gallon? I make mine with six pounds of fruit for six gallons.

Back