WMT (Unofficial) 2014 Port Wine Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks,

All I can say is "Thank You".

My wife is back from Florida and I made sure to schedule NOTHING this week end. The port WILL go out Saturday. I will try to go for either the overnight or the 2nd day postage.

All of you have shown that you have class! I am so sorry for the long delay and really, really appreciate your patience.

Glad it all worked out John and very happy to have you "in". I wish we could all taste each other's port!

Got two bottles of port ready to mail out tomorrow.

After rooting around in my cellar, I found 2 bottles of my 2008 tinta cao port. It took some searching, but I found them. It was a bit of a fluke that I even got a Portuguese grape varietal.

2008 was my first attempt at port and I think that it worked out well.

Again, thanks for waiting folks!

You guys are killing me with your aged ports. Sheesh! What chance does my lowly (late) 2014 Dragon Port have against six year old Portuguese varietals?

Then again, what would you say if I win? :i

First it's strawberry (which I hate making), then Welch's (which I had never made before), and now I'll be clobbered by aged port?! If I lose the DB contest, I'll be an utter failure!

Who's idea was this anyway? :slp

You guys are killing me with your aged ports. Sheesh! What chance does my lowly (late) 2014 Dragon Port have against six year old Portuguese varietals?

First it's strawberry (which I hate making), then Welch's (which I had never made before), and now I'll be clobbered by aged port?! If I lose the DB contest, I'll be an utter failure!

dave
Thanks for starting this and all !!
I have some vintage ports that i am saving for my 50th coming around the corner faster than I like !!!
But I am very interested in doing this at another time as my schedule is quite full at this moment

No problem, Steve. We'll catch you next time.

Just waiting on John's to arrive at the judges' and we're good to go.

Good...to........go......................:ft

Bad news!
I returned home from to office today to find the following on my front porch.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1406155401.951608.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1406155418.406689.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1406155429.879069.jpg

And was so looking forward to trying Johns port!
I'm not sure if calling ups and complaining will do much good or not?
The question now is how to Handel johns entry?
As much as I want to request another entry I understand thy that is not fair to John. How do we feel about only allowing Deezils score for this entry?
On the bright side my front porch is now a prety blue gray color.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making Talk App

Here is a photo of the crime scene.
Kinda hard to see but you can make it out
ImageUploadedByWine Making1406157502.282460.jpg

Oh, the horror! The humanity!!

That really stinks. Looks like a lazy delivery driver just dropped that.

Oh come on. You can suck that juice out of the cardboard and evaluate from there!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

You guys are really making me want to try my hand at a port!

BTW Dave, you should never feel clobbered. Ask Daenerys Targaryen... giving birth to Dragons ain't easy! I really hope you are a Game of Thrones watcher, it totally makes sense!

Please tell me that this is just a joke to repay me for the long delay!

Look at how the box is crunched up right to the edge of the FRAGILE sticker!!!!

What the heck did the delivery guy do?? Did he toss the box out the window without bothering to stop??? Seriously, I love how the deliveryman placed it at your door. Perhaps this bonehead thought you might not notice????????

Freight cost over $30, and Packing material was $10! Such a waste of time and money!

Sorry about your concrete Duster. I really do not have any more of that port that I can put into competition. It was a very limited to begin with and I only have a few bottles of that vintage left. If you guys want to disqualify me, I'll understand.

Please excuse me, I am going to crawl into the fetal position and weep now.

Last edited:
Deezil should at least taste and provide some feedback for John regardless of the competition.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I don't think it's fair to DQ John due to an incompetent UPS driver
Scores were going to be an average of two judges I vote John he scored by dezel only

I think going with Deezil is appropriate. If there is another local port enthusiast he could pull in to judge John's wine, we could sub that person's score for Duster's. Only for that wine, of course. ;)

Latest posts

Back