WMT (Unofficial) Dragon Blood Variant Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife mentioned maybe a cheap Island Mist Kit tweak contest as an idea for our next one. She likes the island mist kits, and she would be helping with the judging, so...

This would be like Gina's "Shooting for Boone's Farm" idea.

Last edited:
If that be the case, I may have to finally graduate and purchase my first kit... Yep, I've never done one, could be fun.

Label Peeler's (labelpeelers.com) has their WE Island Mist Kits deeply reduced even as we type!

Note: My wife absolutely loves the White Cranberry Pinot Gris (with some extra finishing tannin), and the Green Apple Riesling (slightly tweaked). Don't bother with the Exotic Fruits White Zin (very plain) or the Blueberry Pinot Noir (in no way resembles blueberry).

They have some new ones we have not tried. I'm getting some! $44.17 each is a good price! Gina, you live nearby. Shipping should be minimal. Now's a good time!

My vote would be for a ingenuity contest. I have some funky ideas running through my head. That is my input only though. I will be down for what ever the majority decides.

I also like the Cornucopia kits. They're pretty cheap and free shipping on Amazon. I've done the Coconut Frascati, Grapefruit Pinot Gris, and the Strawberry White Merlot. Upped the ABV of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Label Peeler's (labelpeelers.com) has their WE Island Mist Kits deeply reduced even as we type!

Note: My wife absolutely loves the White Cranberry Pinot Gris (with some extra finishing tannin), and the Green Apple Riesling (slightly tweaked). Don't bother with the Exotic Fruits White Zin (very plain) or the Blueberry Pinot Noir (in no way resembles blueberry).

They have some new ones we have not tried. I'm getting some! $44.17 each is a good price! Gina, you live nearby. Shipping should be minimal. Now's a good time!

Shipping was about $16, so $60 total. I actually think its a bit less than that at my LHBS because my hubby and I have a 10% discount AND their prices are normally lower than online prices. I think last time I check the Mist kits were about $62/$64. I gotta go up there soon anyway because my last bottling spree put me on "E" in the cork department. Guess I'll check that out on my next run.

As a general question though, are any of the Mist kits not dry? At first glance they all seemed to look like verieties that would lean in the dry direction. Mysrlf, hubby, and most of my friends and family lean towards sweeter wines.

Shipping was about $16, so $60 total. I actually think its a bit less than that at my LHBS because my hubby and I have a 10% discount AND their prices are normally lower than online prices. I think last time I check the Mist kits were about $62/$64. I gotta go up there soon anyway because my last bottling spree put me on "E" in the cork department. Guess I'll check that out on my next run.

As a general question though, are any of the Mist kits not dry? At first glance they all seemed to look like verieties that would lean in the dry direction. Mysrlf, hubby, and most of my friends and family lean towards sweeter wines.

I've only made the green apple. The flavoring pack after you ferment is quite sweet. Think syrup. I'm aging it now. I did drink a little bit left over from bottling. It wasn't dry.

I've only made the green apple. The flavoring pack after you ferment is quite sweet. Think syrup. I'm aging it now. I did drink a little bit left over from bottling. It wasn't dry.

I want to show off the 1st Place Gold Medal I got from Gina in the mail the other day. What a wonderful gesture! I also received the coveted Daenerys Targaryen Award for excellence in Dragon related wine making. I think this makes me "Father of Dragons". My awards were accompanied by an actual hand written letter from Gina the Judge, herself! Yes, a real hand written letter, in pen, with real handwriting! Really! I think it's been several decades since I got one of those.

Color me overwhelmed. Thank you so much, Gina. These will be displayed prominently in my home, with pride. :try

IMG_0924.jpg

Aww, Dave, ya made me blush. And yeah, I know how you feel, I can't remember the last time I got a handwritten letter (that wasn't from jail.)

I just really wanted to do something special for all of you wonderful folks!

So anyways, I hope everyone got their 'goodies' in the mail. I know a few people have pm'd me and asked when they could post a pic.... well, cat's outta the bag... have at it.

I also wanted to say what a really great gesture by Gina and I also have mine displayed in my winehouse for everyone to see. I NOMINATE GINA "SWEETHEART OF THE MONTH"!. Who seconds the motion?
For all the playing and joking around I truly wanted to say thank you, what a great surprise.

Mike

I also wanted to say what a really great gesture by Gina and I also have mine displayed in my winehouse for everyone to see. I NOMINATE GINA "SWEETHEART OF THE MONTH"!. Who seconds the motion?
For all the playing and joking around I truly wanted to say thank you, what a great surprise.

Mike

I'll second it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Thanks so much, Gina your truly a swell person. And thanks to all the posters here on this thread and on the Dragon Blood thread for the great posts. I don't know if I will make the next contest cause I have so much going now. But I will keep informed about what is going on.
And Dave thanks for the recipe.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1411436615.690995.jpg

Yes thank you Gina! I will display my 6th place medal proudly.

And Dave,

If you named "dragon blood" because of the dragon blood that runs down your hands as you use the presser method. I will call your sweet strawberry tart "ghostbuster slime". That is some goo! Smells delicious tho. I can't wait. The must tastes like strawberry jam

Last edited:
Back