WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
Ok, everyone! We're at it again! Announcing the advent of our next fun and furious home wine making contest!

This contest will be based on Mike's (Kraffty) suggestion requiring 80% Welch's juice (whole or mixed concetrate) to be used as the basis for your must.

That means, if you are making a six gallon batch, then 4.8 gallons of Welch's will be required. A five gallon batch will require four gallons of Welch's. A three gallon batch will need 2.4. And single gallons will need about 100 ounces. You can make as many batches as you like, but you may only submit one. You may use anything else you like in your wine, including more Welch's! We're all adults, here, so let's stick to the one rule and have fun with this!

Since our esteemed judges did such a wonerful job with our last conest, we would ask them to maintain their posts for us, unless Dan or Julie would prefer to join the contest instead. In that case, we will replace them with a facsimile of equal value. We may even have a guest judge this year!

Post up! Who's in?

Our Contestants:
chasemandingo
dangerdave
Dend78
dessertmaker
dralarms
GreginND
Jericurl
jojabri
Kraffty
kryptonitewine
LoneStarLori
Rodnboro
the rayway
wineforfun
wineon4

Last edited:
Thanks Dave and the contest sounds good. I personally would like to see another group get a chance to judge. Perhaps someone that belongs to a wine club or a group of members that live near each other.

Checking in with the phone. Need to review all comments.. I have to say I enjoyed being part of the judging. Then again, I enjoy being with friends all the time. Thanks again all who participated.

Last edited:
Ok, we're going to give this a six month run...or so...again. Judging in May-ish. I'll keep the list of contestants edited in the OP, so we don't have to wonder who's in along the way. If you say you're in, I'll add you to the list. If you're dropping out somewhere along the line, let me know.

You may begin brewing...NOW!

Dan, we very much appreciate your input in the last contest. Very sudo-professional. If you would like to step down and let someone else judge, that is fine. Does this mean you're joining in the contest?

Last edited:
One quick question..... do the bits from the dishwater I add to the concentrate count in the percentage?

I'm in. Already have the basic idea of what I want to make, just have to figure out the "how" part. I think I'll get the primary going tonight or tomorrow so that it can spend Thanksgiving unattended in the secondary. Share pics, maybe basic ingredients or progress notes along the way. Best of luck to all, hopefully we can get this one up to 10 or 15 entries.
Question for Dave: Is 6 months enough time for this type of wine?
Mike

Sounds fun, I'll jump in. Is this ANY Welches variety? Apple, strawberry, white etc. Or does it have to be concord.

I have the same wonderings as Lori: do we need to be more specific?

I'll check out the shipping to see if I can get my stuff across the border (or visit GredinND!). As of now: I'm in too!

LoneStarLori said:
Sounds fun, I'll jump in. Is this ANY Welches variety? Apple, strawberry, white etc. Or does it have to be concord.

I didn't think of that. Dave what's the ruling? I was planning on a white, actually a blush (no more hints).

I'm voting for 80% grape, that allows for whites, blush and reds along with adding fruit or james ports. Dave?
Mike

I thought of this overnight and I'm with Kraffty . To me the rules state 80% Welch's so I bought my Niagara ingredients this morning. I can rethink and redesign if need be. If it's concord though I might be cleaning out my dishwasher for bits as well. :s

If need be we can have multiple categories White, blush, and Concord.

I will more than likely jump in as I am making more and more of just Welch's varieties.
I would, however, vote to allow any Welch's instead of everyone turning in concord. There are alot of interesting flavors of Welch's out there to create wine from.

Back