WMT (Unofficial) Mist Wine Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
We're at it again! Ante up, everyone!

Get you a "Mist Wine" kit and join the fun! Island Mist, Orchard Breezin, Corucopia, etc. If you are uncertain if your chosen kit qualifies, just ask.

Some kind of tweak is required. Be creative. My wife, Johnna, has been drinking my tweaked mist wine kits for years, so she's quite the expert on cheap fruity wines. She'll be on the judging panel for sure. Yea, she's pretty excited that I am helping judge this particular contest. I'm making a new version of one of her old favorates, just so I can make something while you guys are: White Cranapple Pinot Gris.

Lets shoot for early February 2015 for judging. Who's in? :db

Last edited:
I started a Cranberry Malbec Island Mist with a tweak about 3 weeks ago. I won it at my wine club raffle. If this counts I could donate a couple to the cause.

Does this mean I can retire too? I'm a little over 3 years out but if it's a retire/wine judging party, count me in. I'm going to make a mystery batch too and add it to my judging to see where I would have placed. To make it fair, I will not be participating in the tasting. I'll have some friends over and my wife for the occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Does this mean I can retire too? I'm a little over 3 years out but if it's a retire/wine judging party, count me in. I'm going to make a mystery batch too and add it to my judging to see where I would have placed. To make it fair, I will not be participating in the tasting. I'll have some friends over and my wife for the occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I threw one of my blackberry dB's into me last one to see where I would have fallen. That's all I have to say about that.

I'm in! I have on kit on hand, one that should be delivered Monday, and I'll prolly end up getting a 3rd.

Guess I'll see what comes of them

island mist kits

I have made them all double d what would you like????????????????????????????:db

so far we have

Drumlineridge winery
Jojabri
chasemandingo
Joe
Lori
Mogwai
Rotgut
Me

We might have to do some recruiting or Rod and Dave are going to have some pretty pathetic wine judging parties.

Who else is in?

Last edited:
Oh God! Joeswine is in. He is the king of wine kit tweaks so we might as well give up now lol. At least we will be competing with the best!

If Joe is in, I gotta jump in. I have to test my tweaking skills that I learned from him.
How are these going to be judged? Since there are so many different varieties are you just going to pick the best overall?

I am compleatly out of carboy space, and freezer space, and then picked 17# of Autum Olives.... Guess a kit wine will have to wait. But I will be enjoying all of your post! Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

If Joe is in, I gotta jump in. I have to test my tweaking skills that I learned from him.
How are these going to be judged? Since there are so many different varieties are you just going to pick the best overall?

Maybe use a dessert wine scoring sheet or come up with our own. I will get with Dave and see what we can come up with. I don't know about him, but my tasters will be amateurs.

I was going to round up some friends/family/coworkers (requirement: must like wine), cook some good food, taste some questionable wines, and find a concensus on the top three. Keep it simple. I can't pretend to be something I'm not. :sm

I should have forseen this. Sophistication is slowly sneaking into our unofficial little contests... :n :)

Hey Joe! What are you going to make? Is it secret?

Some kind of tweak is required. Be creative. My wife, Johnna, has been drinking my tweaked mist wine kits for years, so she's quite the expert on cheap fruity wines.

I "tweak" IM with an additional 5# of sugar. If she drinks an entire bottle, she won't care that it is a cheap fruity wine.

I "tweak" IM with an additional 5# of sugar. If she drinks an entire bottle, she won't care that it is a cheap fruity wine.

That's where I start, richmke. My wife insists. I think our contestants will require a bit more finesse to win this one.

:br

That's where I start, richmke. My wife insists. I think our contestants will require a bit more finesse to win this one.

How about 5# of sugar, and then fortify the wine with a bottle of Everclear? Let it age 9 months to smooth out the edges from the Everclear. Then she only needs to drink 1/2 the bottle. :try

Back