WMT (Unofficial) Dragon Blood Variant Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm dead center of the state down I75. That may have been why it was faster. There is a ups sorting facility just 30 mins from me, so less thansitions, perhaps.

I must admit, me and my panel of 5 other judges + my dad, who was tasting but not scoring had a wonderful time. I had asked someone to take pics, but it didn't happen, as there is always drama when you have 10 kids running around and the mommas are wine tasting, leaving the daddies to babysit (aka watching the kids fight.)

Since most of my panel have enjoyed the many dragon varieties I've produced, but had little to no experience with actual wine tasting, we used Danger Dave's original as our test subject, as I gave the group a tutorial on how to properly taste. I think they did marvelously and was excited by the conversation that sprung up between each submission.

Still looking forward to getting the last of submissions in and finalizing scores.

It has been a pleasure and honor to judge this competion.

I have decided to wait untill next weekend to do my tasting.....sorry for the wait but it will work out better for me anyway.....I should have ten total bottles before judging right? Lol

I have no idea how many ended up sending theirs in. I guess you'll get what you get. We're in no hurry here, judges, so do your judging whenever you judge the judging time to be right. :i

wine tasting contest

I have decided to wait untill next weekend to do my tasting.....sorry for the wait but it will work out better for me anyway.....I should have ten total bottles before judging right? Lol
Just returned from vacation to see that Gina recieved my bottle on the 29th. Did U get mine yet? And, I completely forgot to include whether or not to chill it, so i guess u could try mine both ways if you like, the wifey likes it chilled better than not. thanx, Loddie, good luck to all

:db Yea! Got lucky that it is better for you to wait till this weekend. Hope you enjoy the wines!

Last edited:
Wines gets better with time afterall!

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

I got yours Calvin. LOVED the packaging! :)

One of them I packaged at home and used crinkled up newspaper. The other I packaged at work and used can coozies. I'm guessing you received the one with the coozies?

One of them I packaged at home and used crinkled up newspaper. The other I packaged at work and used can coozies. I'm guessing you received the one with the coozies?

Yup. I'm covered on the coozie front for a minute.

So I guess Calvin wins the packaging category.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I'll take any award I can get! If it was a race to get the samples in. I think I'd be in dead last.

Any tasting done this past weekend???

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Here she goes, the moment we've all been waiting for.... The results of the 2014 (Unofficial) WMT Dragon Blood Competition.

Just so the criteria is known, the score card we used is pictured below and was based on a 40 point maximum. The scores from both panels were averaged to come to a final score. Might I add that there were very little variations in continuity of the scores.

I will be sending each participant a PM with their individual score along with tasting notes. Should you guys like to share, feel free. Anyone willing to share their recipes with the rest of the group would be great, as all the entries were enjoyed.

The 1st and second place entry recipes MUST be posted. In addition, as per tradition, the 1st and 2nd place winners will go on to judge the WMT Unofficial Contest, whenever that happens.

Without further adieu...

First Place - Danger Dave's Sweet Strawberry Tart

Second Place - Rodnoboro's Red Hot Dragon Blood

Third Place - Kraffty's Blueberry Pmegranate Dragon Blood Berry Berry Blend

Fourth Place - Willie's Fruit Dragon Blood

Fifth Place - Drumlineridge's Cherry Lemon Lime

Sixth Place - Calvin's Blackberry Dragon Blood

Seventh Place - Cheesehead's Tropigold Daze

Eight Place - Fabrictodyefor's Berry Black Dragon

Ninth Place - Otistechdir's Cherry Sweat

Tenth Place - Jensmith's Rhubarb Lime

Thank you to all participants, you should be very proud of your work, each was a wonderful and different experience!!

It was an honor and a privilege to have taken part in this and to experience your wines. We appreciate your hard work and the expertise and individuality you all put forward in this competition.

Congratulations not only to the winners but to each of you.

Just as an "added bonus" we decided to give everyone a shout out in recognition of some part of their submission...

Most Original - Jen Smith's Rhubarb Lime (I didn't know what a rhubarb was... but I liked it)

Most Unique Label - Kraffty's Blueberry Pomegranate Dragon Blood Berry Berry Blend ( Loved the Music notes play)

Late Bloomer Award - Willie's Fruit DB. I have a feeling it will really blossom with some shelf-time.

Odd Man Out Award- Cheesehead's Tropigold daze. He was the only one "man enough" to attempt a tropical. I was a bit surprised.

Most Original Packaging... Calvin... I now have 13 or More "Rossman Construction Company" coozies... 'nuff said.

Best Comedic label- Drumlineridge's WTF... I mean really... WTF!?!?!

The Shocker Award- Otistechdir's Cherry Sweat - It's amazing finish really was more satisfying than the initial taste... shocking

Best Color - Fabrictodyefor's Berry Black Dragon

db scorecard.jpg

Congratulations everyone! Especially you Dave! It is no surprise the creator of dragon blood won this one. Now for my next batch I'll be using another one of Dave's recipes. The strawberry tart!

Judges... Is Dave's 1st place entry better than his original original dragon blood?

Congratulations everyone! Especially you Dave! It is no surprise the creator of dragon blood won this one. Now for my next batch I'll be using another one of Dave's recipes. The strawberry tart!

Judges... Is Dave's 1st place entry better than his original original dragon blood?

My group did a trial tasting along with a tutorial on how to judge with the original. In my panel, yes, the sweet strawberry tart did score higher than the original.

What Calvin said and---
Yes congrats to Dave for his 1st Place victory and all who participated and to the judges thanks for the info. about my entry. It has been fun.

Will

Latest posts

Back