WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno. There are some excellent labels.

There were some very nice original labels. I'm letting all the judges give their input and that will decide. I'm going to make up a simple scoring sheet then the total of the scores from the judges will determine the winner. I do have to warn, one of our judges is very partial to drier wines.

Well, my label wasn't as "kraffty" as some, so it may not get high marks. It does outshine the wine, though. :re

Why would someone who prefers dry wines judge a young Welch's wine contest?! :)

I should have stuck with the Niagara or Concord, but nooooooo, I had to try and be creative. It was creative, mind you, just not the kind of creative that results in good wine. My apologies in advance of the tasting.

Well, my label wasn't as "kraffty" as some, so it may not get high marks. It does outshine the wine, though. :re

Why would someone who prefers dry wines judge a young Welch's wine contest?! :)

I should have stuck with the Niagara or Concord, but nooooooo, I had to try and be creative. It was creative, mind you, just not the kind of creative that results in good wine. My apologies in advance of the tasting.

She's a neighbor down the street. She will drink anything but prefers the dry. I'll pull out a bottle of the 2011 Cab Sauv for her after the contest judging.

I'll be placing all the entries into the fridge to chill Friday.

Oh, I'm so excited.
I can't wait for the feedback on mine. Is it weird that I'm crazy excited for "real" wine drinkers to drink the worst stuff I've ever made?
You guys must promise to take a ton of pictures.
Also, I'd like to specifically request pictures of my victim's..ahem...I mean, judge's faces when they take a whiff and a sip of mine. (I know it isn't plausible...but it sends me into laughter everytime I think about it)

Oh, I'm so excited.
I can't wait for the feedback on mine. Is it weird that I'm crazy excited for "real" wine drinkers to drink the worst stuff I've ever made?
You guys must promise to take a ton of pictures.
Also, I'd like to specifically request pictures of my victim's..ahem...I mean, judge's faces when they take a whiff and a sip of mine. (I know it isn't plausible...but it sends me into laughter everytime I think about it)

Lol Jericurl!! Yes, that might be good. I'm going to crack open a bottle of mine Friday and hope for the best. If it's gone horribly wrong, I'll have to warn the judges.

I also am very excited to hear what others think of my wine. Have only been making wine for a little over a year but have learned so darn much from everyone on this site!

Im looking forward to the judging. Always interesting to try other wine from people. Been feverishly cleaning the house in preparation for saturday. I did pick up 70 cases of bottles today...

I also am very excited to hear what others think of my wine. Have only been making wine for a little over a year but have learned so darn much from everyone on this site!

Right there with ya, I'm still a noob too. The WMT folks been awesome!

I have our judging sheets printed up. The contestants will be judged on Appearance, Aroma, Body, Flavor then Overall Quality. I will tally the total points from those categories and then determine who has the highest points. In the event of a tie, the judges or myself will determine who it the winner. We will also be judging the labels...

Question for our Judges, are you two using the same scorecards or different systems. It would be interesting to see a how consistent the tasters numbers come out across the board.
Hope you guys and your enlistees have fun with this too.
Thank you all,
Mike

Question for our Judges, are you two using the same scorecards or different systems. It would be interesting to see a how consistent the tasters numbers come out across the board.
Hope you guys and your enlistees have fun with this too.
Thank you all,
Mike

Doug sent me his scorecard and it is incredibly thorough! I imagine judging will take the better part of half a day and we may need a Notary present! :)

Really, he did put a good score sheet together and I plan to use it. ;)

Is it weird that I am terribly nervous?? The only people that have tried any of mine are close family and friends. I'm scared crap-less that it's gone bad.

Jojabri, no worries. I entered a 7 month old Elderberry into the AWS amateur contest last year. I didnt think it would even place. Much to my surprise, it took a gold.

Most of the food prep for tomorrow is done. Need to cut potatoes for the grill tomorrow.

Looking forward to 3:30 tomorrow. I will confer with Jim before any results are posted. I will also send a compilation of the individual scores if the entrants choose. You wont see other entries, just your own..

Sad to report we will not be judging until Monday. I will coordinate with Doug once we are done to coordinate posting the results.

Sad to report we will not be judging until Monday. I will coordinate with Doug once we are done to coordinate posting the results.

So there will be no commenting on any of these wines until after Monday?? Looks like I'll be doing less work (if that is possible) while reading all the comments about the contest on Tuesday....

Back