WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we do a Canadian Edition of the contest next time? My issue was getting the stuff into the USA...are there any Canadians on the board who are interested?

Back from vacation and enjoying catching up on the posts here. Looks like the judges are gearing up for next weekend. Better gather some friends to help sample all those wines! I have to admit that my entry, while it's the best of the three Welch's I made for this contest, is the least impressive wine I have ever made.

Well, the port contest sounds very interesting. I've got two ports bottled and another I just started yesterday. My freezer gave up the ghost, and something had to be done with it's contents. The result was some very good panko breaded baked white fish (thank you, my wonerful wife!), a huge kettle of (assorted) meat/vegi soup, and a bucket of Italian red port (cab sav/merlot). I know a port contest would appeal to a select few, but we could still do one for us port-lovers. We'd have to go with current bottled ports, or we'd have to wait at least a year (or more), which would just be goofy.

My other idea (which has been suggested several times) is a Dragon Blood Recipe Contest. Since most of us who enetered the Welch's Contest often make DB, is would be easy to enter. I'm thinking any variation, made at any time. You would be "honored" (I use the word very lightly) to be judged by the inventor of the Dragon Blood Recipe---ME!---since it would be unfair for me to enter such a comtest myself.

I was also thinking (if it's not too much at once) that a Chilean wine contest would be great! Since a lot of people have their Chilean wines going now, what about a contest---to be judged in November---for Chilean (juice bucket) wines started this Spring?

I'd like to get a consensus on which way we should go from here. So, start saving up your shipping money. And the Canadians should definately get their own thing going if shipping across boarders is an issue.

Ok, did I cover everything? Almost! I'd like to thank you all for being such wonderful people, and sharing your "cognitive surplus". Even the silliest creation is a creative act, and worthy of appreciation. :b

Last edited:
I received a delivery from Jericurl and Kraffty today. That makes 8...

On the list of received is Jericurl, Kraffty, Jojabri, Wineforfun, Chasemandingo, LoneStarLori, Rodnboro and DangerDave.

Well folks, looks like I'm not going to be sending mine in. Things have gone from really weird to very bad. My son's wife passed away this ladtweek and been dealing with all that and I'm just drained and don't have the gumption to even mess with it right now.

Well folks, looks like I'm not going to be sending mine in. Things have gone from really weird to very bad. My son's wife passed away this ladtweek and been dealing with all that and I'm just drained and don't have the gumption to even mess with it right now.

Yes, concentrate on your family. The wine will wait.

My sympathies, dralarms. You and yours will be in my thoughts.
Take care of you and yours, nothing else is as important as that.

Sorry for you family's loss.

Dralarms, I am shocked to hear this! My prayers and thoughts are with you!

So sorry to hear, dralarms. Concentrate on family. We will all still be here.

Kraffty's arrived here today as well.

I received a delivery from Jericurl and Kraffty today. That makes 8...

On the list of received is Jericurl, Kraffty, Jojabri, Wineforfun, Chasemandingo, LoneStarLori, Rodnboro and DangerDave.

Anyone sending in anything other than those listed above? I know which label will get the high reviews so far, but I'm not sharing...

Back