What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a mity vac today. $70 for a whole kit with aluminum gun. Stabilized and Degassed my first wine with it. Used it on the CRP. Works great!!!!! However, it was way more pumping than I thought. I guess I thought 20 or so squeezes and I would be done. My carpal tunnel will not tolerate that. Operation this winter but someone is going to get an awesome deal on a mity vac, and I have to bite the bullet on an aspirator. I can't believe how awesome a vac works!!

I just started a 5 gal batch of Niagara. I put a Cinnamon stick in it to see if a could detect a hint when it's done. That might not be enough to notice but I've seen where some of you will put in 15 or 20 pepper corns, so this looks almost like it would equal that amount. We'll see.

Last edited:
Its a great tool but for $70 you probably could have bought an electric vacuum pump and it would do all the work for you and also rack, bottle and filter your wine.

Congrats Tony, and Dan to wonderful days that you will remember for ever.. Awesome!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Both my grandkids (and kids) live in Houston, only 90 miles down I-10 from me. We are there or they are here every three to four weeks. We're blessed.

Its a great tool but for $70 you probably could have bought an electric vacuum pump and it would do all the work for you and also rack, bottle and filter your wine.

Yea I know. Sold it today for $60. (I'm a mechanic so I know lots of people that could use it) Am shopping for a pump. Should have just bought one from Wade!!!!!! Do you mind me asking a good seller to purchase from. I know you used to sell them so just thought you could suggest an Ebay seller that you had good luck with. PM me if you don't want to post that here if you could recommend someone.

Heading back to central Ohio to spend the weekend with friends and family. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Working with Dougs (ffemt) friend that owns a winery down in Pittsburgh showing him how to run a three ton press. Doc is a real pleasure to be with today. We are pressing 12 tons of stuben this afternoon and not sure what were presosing tonight yet.

The peach is bubbling away!! Gonna start a mead maybe this weekend if we find time... we shall see! I ordered a Bluberry Shiraz mist kit this afternoon :D YAYAY

The Blueberry Shiraz is 1 of the best Mist kits there is. I always add about 2 1/2 lbs of sugar to it in primary to up the abv which isnt very noticeable at all in taste b ut really helps the wine shelve better.

I am not much on reading books, except some self-help and those about making wine.

In spite of that, I just started a pretty good (so far) book, called "The Wild Vine". It is about the Norton grape and the man (Norton) who many say created the Norton. (I have a feeling later in the book I'll discover there is some sort of controversy about "who done it".)

I was surprised that in the 1600's, 1700's and early 1800's there just wasn't any decent quality wine grapes being grown on the east cost, around Virginia. Seems all the French/Spanish/Italian varieties just wouldn't grow. Thomas Jefferson spent 50 years trying to get a good crop of those grapes to grow and trying to do something with the wild grapes of the eastern USA. He had zero success. Some say the only thing at which he ever failed.

I found out one of the main reasons why Britain was interested in our new world was to grow wine grapes. Even though none would grow well around Jamestown, they actually passed a law that required every household in Jamestown to grow grapes for wine. It just didn't work.

Then came the Norton, pretty much by accident. In the late 1800's the Norton won a contest in Vienna, in which it was declared one of the best in the entire world. Then the planting and utilization of the Norton almost died out completely for many years. Hopefully later on in the book I'll learn why.

I am interested in the Norton because a few weeks ago a friend brought me a bottle of dry Norton wine from Iowa. Both my wife and I were really surprised at how good it was. I mean really good! When I tasted it, I braced myself for something really foxy, but it was really nice.

Now you know why I am interested in the book.

Anyway, that's what I am up to today.

Working with Dougs (ffemt) friend that owns a winery down in Pittsburgh showing him how to run a three ton press. Doc is a real pleasure to be with today. We are pressing 12 tons of stuben this afternoon and not sure what were presosing tonight yet.

Glad to hear you met Dr. Kavic. He is a heck of a nice guy. I've known him for probably over 30 years. I'll probably be stopping at their place tomorrow or Saturday.

Back