Juice buckets from Italy and California

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brottman

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This will be my first year getting some juice buckets that my LHBS is organizing. These buckets are 6 gallons of 100% juice - no water added or taken away. They cost $71 for an Italian bucket or $66 for a Californian bucket. My problem is I feel lost trying to decide what to get. I recognize a few names like Cabernet, Merlot and Moscato, but I'm lost on the others. Any advice on what to try?

Italian Varietals Available 2014

Red
---------------
Amarone
Barbera
Bardolino
Barolo
Brunello
Cabernet Sauvignon
Chianti
Dolcetto
Lambrusco
Merlot
Montepulciano
Nebbiolo
Sangiogvese
Valpolicella

White
---------------
Pinot Grigio
Soave Classico
Verdicchio

Californian Varietals Available 2014

Red
---------------
Cabernet Sauvignon
Merlot
Petit Syrah
Pinot Noir
Shiraz
Zinfandel
Zinfandel Royal

White
---------------
Chardonnay
Gerwurztraminer
Liebframilch
Muscato
Johannesburg Riesling
Sauvignon Blanc
Chenin Blanc
White Merlot

What brand is that Italian Amarone?
The Mosti Mondiali Amarone is around $98 bucks here.....
The other 'cheaper' brand is something like Imperial Italian for $64

My wife and I usually enjoy Rieslings, Merlot, Moscato, Cabernet, and Meads. We both agree that we do NOT like the taste of a chardonnay.

I'm not sure what brand Amarone it is. I've never had Amarone so no idea what I could expect. I've read about it though, and know its from partially dried grapes. So how could they be offering Amarone in this list? Wouldn't they have to partially dry the grapes first? Seems way too early to have that ready as a juice bucket.

Sounds like Bella or Gentile Juice. Nope Gentile was only $48-52 per bucket

I got 12 bucket of CA juice and am heading to get 8 Italian Sat. Ilike the following Italian varietals:

Barolo is made with - Nebbiolo
Chianti is made with- Sangiogvese (and some blending)
Montepulciano
Valpolicella

Well if that's the kinds you like I would start there. Get a cali Cabernet, muscato, riesling and whatever else you like.

I haven't done the pails from there because I can source them close by living in the finger lakes. But I would try the chenin blanc also, the commercial ones I've had are very good. Kind of like a milder riesling.

Also there is the choice of making a blend of different kinds. Which you could do a cab/merlot which would be good.

I have made wine from a few of these, however from whole fruit. my comments below...

Amarone - Always a good choice. Made it once and won gold in competition.

Barbera - tried it once, came out rather thin in flavor and color.

Brunello - This should be a high end 100% pure sangiovese. Brunello is considered the Cadillac of Tuscan wines.

Cabernet Sauvignon - always a good fall back grape

Chianti - Not sure about this. My understanding is that a chianti is a blend of sangio and other grapes. Is this a blend of different juices?

Merlot - always a good fall back grape

Montepulciano - Montepulciano is both a region (in Tuscany) and a grape (normally grown in the north east region of Italy. I have made from the grape with great results, good color and nice well rounded wine.

Nebbiolo

Sangiogvese - always good, but I have found does better when a little merlot is added to the mix.

I have made wine from a few of these, however from whole fruit. my comments below...

Amarone - Always a good choice. Made it once and won gold in competition.

What did you do to the juice bucket of Amarone, any tweaks, mlf, etc?
When did it mature to be a good drinker?

What did you do to the juice bucket of Amarone, any tweaks, mlf, etc?
When did it mature to be a good drinker?

Geek,

I made it from whole grapes. I did not know of it as being a specific varietal, but that was how the lugs were labeled. I only have seen these grapes once and only did a single demi.

I did oak it using (I believe I used med toast Hungarian cubes at the time) and also did take it through MLF. Maceration was 6 days. I would have to check me records for any other things I may have done to it.

Actually there is no such thing as an 'amarone' grape. Amarone is a blend of molinara, corvina and another grape that escapes me. Curious how they can name it amarone

Actually there is no such thing as an 'amarone' grape. Amarone is a blend of molinara, corvina and another grape that escapes me.

Rondinella.

I'm also surprised they get away with that. Usually you'll see the word 'style' inserted in there. And I would think that unless you are drying the grapes, you just have another red blend on your hands.

agree with you guys. Also, how can they call a grape "Chianti"? this is also a blend I believe.

My only guess is that each lug contains a mix of different grapes????

So I'm definitely going to get a Cali white Moscato since that's what my family really likes, but how do you make a Pink Moscato?

I would first find out what region the Italian juice is coming. Go with a basic red you like such as a Cabernet Sauvignon. I buy Italian juice and have tried 99% of the ones listed. I am currently making a Dolcetto which is one I haven't tried previously. They say this is a needle in the haystack. So we will see.

I would not do an Amarone unless you wouldn't mind letting it sit for 5-7 yrs. A good Amarone is usually around 7 yrs old and cost about $60 or more. These grapes are from the Valpolicello Region and are left on the vine as log as possible, put on drying racks until they are almost like a raisin. Then fermented etc. The juice we get is forced by mechanical means.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back