Snowmageddon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude! Living in PA and having a driveway that long, you need a snowblower!

My next door neighbor who usually helps, at least with the pile the snow plows create at the end of the driveway, never did maintenance on his blower so it was out of commission. The others in the neighborhood (one had a full sized backhoe) aren't wine drinkers.

That leads me to a question, how many bottles should I give out if someone does offer to help me. Is it by square foot or the time it takes? I was going to give a bottle per 50' of driveway, plus one as a tip, so four bottles total. Plus all of the beer and champagne they could drink while doing the driveway that I had on tap. Hence the payment by footage and not time.

I heard you guys got quite a bit of snow this weekend.......

12418015_1074654692565796_3099542192887409969_n.jpg

There was this little band of red on the weather chart showing the most intense section of the storm. If you looked closely, you just may have seen my house smack dab in the middle of that red-zone. 6 to 10 inches my aunt fanny! We ended up with over 30 inches!

Had a guy come with his snow blower. He handled the machine, while I shoveled. Paid him in cash, but tipped him in wine.

So, I took stock this morning..

Number of inches of snow: 30+
Number of bottles of wine consumed: 6
Logs burned in the fire place: 15
Hours spent watching the storm on TV: 14
Texts send among myself and my family: like a gah-jillion!
Number of references to the move "the shining": 12
Hours spent shoveling before realizing that I was getting too old for this: 0.025.

Here are some photos.

IMG_20160123_164449_570.jpg

IMG_20160123_150407_526.jpg

IMG_20160123_082449_720.jpg

IMG_20160123_195610_532.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure to keep us informed when that stuff starts melting. Looks like you are going to have another mess then.
I have a 4 wheel drive 4 wheeler with a blade. If you have some place to shove the stuff and can get one path thru you can push most all that out of the way. Might not be able to move a big path with any one push but it will keep chipping away til you are thru. Only time I ever had a problem with it, the ground was not frozen and we got a few inches of rain before 10 inches of snow or so. Any time i got off the hard surface there would be 4 holes in the yard where the wheels dug in and stopped pushing. Arne.

it'd be like a human habitrail system out there.

A few years ago, I was in Valdez, AK for a day during winter. It was like driving through a maze. They get 300+ inches of snow in an average year, and it was piled up 10+ feet high on the sides of the road.

Plow came. I have mixed emotions about that. Another day of manual labor.

image.jpg

Plow came. I have mixed emotions about that. Another day of manual labor.

Nice Jim. I'll be curious what our driveway entrance looks like when my wife and I get home. Got a call from the oldest boy saying the youngest wasn't doing his share of shoveling. I reminded him that he's 17 and about 165 lbs, the youngest is 10 and maybe 95 lbs when wet. I also reminded him that the internet gets switched off until it gets done.

NOAA has York Springs "official" total at 34.9 inches. Think they were a little high on that one. Means the wind on Saturday night moved a foot of snow from the top of the driveway to the bottom.

PS. At least you can still see your mailbox!

I think the pic was Photoshopped. There is no snow on the roofs of the houses.

I'm out!!!! Back at work. But even main roads and highways were still missing lanes here and there. Any intersection/merge is treacherous - you can't see around corners.

Welcome to our world! All of us living in snowy northern climates are used to dealing with those things most years. So far here has been quite easy. The largest storm we have had was about 6 inches. Today it was up around 40 again with freezing rain (the ground is frozen so the rain freezes on).

Saw that. It really gives you a good idea of just how much snow fell during the day on Saturday alone. As much as we got overnight on Friday, it paled to what came down Saturday.

I grew up in SW Michigan and I recall several snowstorms like that one. We just passed the anniversary of the 1978 blizzard that was comparable in size. I had to shovel off my roof to ensure it didn't collapse. Unfortunately, some of the snow on the west side of the roof landed on my deck - which then collapsed. That was a really bad day.

Latest posts

Back