Snowmageddon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Well, they are now calling for 20-30 inches here in the DC suburbs. This may very well break the all time record for snowfall in the district. We shall see. I'll post up some pics here, just for fun. Fortunately, the previous owners of our house had a snowblower that they shared with the neighbors in the cul-de-sac. They left that behind with another neighbor, so that will help. The hard part is going to be keeping the grill area (and a path to it) clear. I don't know why, but I just love cooking outside in these big storms.

Good luck!
Here in Westchester county NY forecast is 4-8". To me that is a nuisance it's the weekend go big or go home.

Steve

Its official @Boatboy24 is........

crazy.jpg

I don't know why, but I just love cooking outside in these big storms.

No milk, bread or toilet paper to be found around here (apparently, studies have shown that people poop A LOT when it snows). Half the gas stations are out of gas too.

Fortunately, the previous owners of our house had a snowblower that they shared with the neighbors in the cul-de-sac.

I have 2 snowblowers that were given me. One that barely made it through 8" of snow (and is worthless for the pile pushed up by the snow plow), and one that doesn't even work until you have at least 4" of snow. I tried the small one with the 8" of snow because the forecast was for only 2", I did not get the big one ready, and woke up to the 8" (they missed the forecast big time). I decided to see what it could do.

Since you live in the DC area, I'm guessing you have a snowblower that is ok for up to 4" of snow.

My suggestion to you is to:
1) Get a lot of gas (and oil if it is a 2 stroke); and
2) Plow every hour or two; or just keep going around the cul-de-sac - again and again.

Looks like it will not reach here to North Central PA. Good thing for me... though I have my snowblower ready to go I don't think I'd be able to manage it with the stitches in my hand (stitches come out next week).

Thing is I've been looking forward to my first decent snowfall since moving to PA last July. My CT driveway was nearly 700' and with a very steep climb from the road for the first 100' or so and a large apron in front of the garage. Here in PA I have a flat driveway of only about 300' and not much of an apron.

Good luck to all! Play it safe!

We are supposed to get 10-20" - we shall see. I have plenty of wine. My hubby went to the store and bought extra milk. My only real concern would be losing power, but we can take my 4WD to a friend's house if needed.

They just upped Adams County to 15-20", 2 ft south of Rt 30. Luckily I'm 15 minutes north of Rt. 30, still about a foot more than I'd prefer.

Have beer and champagne on tap and plenty of wine. Just need someone to help me drink it and shovel my driveway 10 times...

Bought 5 lbs of ground chuck so I can do a meatloaf on the grill if the power fails, though that sounds like fun even if it doesn't fail.

Edit: Found out I'll be without a wife and oldest son at home this weekend. They are scheduled to work both Saturday and Sunday 1st shift so they are driving up tonight and staying for the duration. Her work (healthcare) usually gets call offs during an event like this so they'll be able to use her to fill in for MIA workers. The pay will be good but I'll miss my favorite bed warmer...

Last edited:
We are expecting around 6 to 10 inches here. Not too bad.

The big concern is the 50mph wind gusts that they are predicting. This will knock out power for quite a few of us.

With my heat driven by an electric water pump, and water driven by an electric well pump, losing power for an extended time is worrisome at best.

I just guess that I will have to fill a couple of primaries with water, build a fire in the fireplace, collect up as many quilts as I can, and share some body heat with the Mrs.....

Oh, yeah, then there is that other method of keeping warm, ADULT BEVERAGES!!!! .....

:snw:dg

We are underway here. This was after only 20 minutes. Rate of snowfall is increasing rapidly.

image.jpg

All those inside options are sounding better and better. I sat in a duck blind this morning from 6 AM til noon, 30 mph wind blowing snow all up in my grill, for 4 ducks. Got back to the camp and my 9 yo son says, that was fun, what time are we going back out for the afternoon hunt?

I'm sitting here in my recliner, nice n warm, satellite TV, eying up bottles of Eclipse Pinot and a Sonoma Valley Merlot, hoping he doesn't wake up from his nap til dark. Does that make me a crappy Dad?

We're up to 4-5 inches now and its starting to come down a little heavier. My neighbor broke out his 4-wheeler and we hooked one of the sleds up to it. Had a blast!

@ibglowin: had only enough to cover the street, but the blades of grass were still higher at that point.

Jim, Thanks for taking the hit for us up in Boston. We're expecting a heavy coating of a dusting. Only problem is I need to drive to the Cape on Monday to get a couple rooms measured for rugs. Expecting 6-10 inches there. Can't win all the time. Bakervinyard

As now was suppose to start here around 7 BUT started at 5! We r on the line if either 1 - 3 inches or 3 - 6 inches. Guess we will know tomorrow. Either way we r home and watching The Martian and having a glass of 2013 Malbec

Latest posts

Back