Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pre-COVID, I put 50K miles on a car in less than 2.5 years. Commuting sucks, which is why I'm happy my commute went from 34 miles to 35 steps. :)

Ya know, be happy that you just lost the license. Riding with a buddy I ran with in my teens, we went into a slide at 110 MPH, and ending in 360's. No clue how we survived it. It was the first time he scared me (yeah, I was an idiot), and the last time I ever got in a car with him driving. Six years later his younger brother died in a wreck, doing the stuff we did.
Feel your pain. I still have a scar under my chin where I bent the steering wheel when I impacted it. I try and share that whenever I can with my kids. Though my Dad rolled a car in Texas in the service at a high rate of speed when he fell asleep, and I still pulled off my stupid move.

Feel your pain. I still have a scar under my chin where I bent the steering wheel when I impacted it.
We came through the incident with no injuries. I recall (vividly) seeing guard rail - car - guard rail - car - guard rail - car - guard rail. Never the same car twice, and I think the guard rails alternated on opposite sides of the road. We came to a rest on the opposite shoulder, facing the way we had come. Cars were stopped on the road at odd angles, like in a comedy. No one hit anyone. No injuries.

In hindsight, it's good to learn about mortality in a non-fatal lesson.

We came through the incident with no injuries. I recall (vividly) seeing guard rail - car - guard rail - car - guard rail - car - guard rail. Never the same car twice, and I think the guard rails alternated on opposite sides of the road. We came to a rest on the opposite shoulder, facing the way we had come. Cars were stopped on the road at odd angles, like in a comedy. No one hit anyone. No injuries.

In hindsight, it's good to learn about mortality in a non-fatal lesson.
And young!

Well well. Got my latest issue of CR magazine and this EV got an excellent review. What caught my eye was the fact that this EV has DC Fast Charge. 80% charge in 18min at fast charge stations. Plus KIA still qualifies for $7500 rebate (Federal) plus NM has their own rebate for EV's. Good excuse to perhaps get rid of my 04' Honda S2000 which now has classic car status. Might be almost as fun to drive as the Honda. Would not be looking to take it on any long range road trips. Only local trips and perhaps to ABQ on occasion. Good looking car and it's not made by you know who........ LOL

View attachment 90486

Go for it!! I think you won’t regret a thing.

Had it up to 140mph for a short spell on a closed lab road on the weekend years ago.

The fastest I have ever driven a car was in NM, too! (Umm, assuming that was your fastest.) I was driving my 1982 Porsche 911 SC across country. The nominal top speed of the car was 136, and I decided to see how close I could come to that figure. I exited from I-40 onto a US highway, went north a few miles, down into a dry "lake" and then up the gentle hill on the far side. I turned around and gunned it down into the "lake"; my speed got to ~120 mph pretty quickly, but then the increase slowed down quite a bit. I was watching the speedo slowly climb, and I was starting to feel nervous; moreover, 911's of that vintage were known to start to feel "light" in the front end at high speed due to aerodynamics. (That is the origin of those huge "whale tales.") So I am driving flat out, going ~130, feeling nervous, coaxing it up to ~135, almost hoping for this all to be over. At that moment, two fighter jets in close formation overtook me from behind at about 500' off the deck. Scared the living crap out of me! I still wonder if (a) they were buzzing the stoopid sports car driver, or, more likely (b) had no idea I existed in the universe.

At that moment, two fighter jets in close formation overtook me from behind at about 500' off the deck. Scared the living crap out of me! I still wonder if (a) they were buzzing the stoopid sports car driver, or, more likely (b) had no idea I existed in the universe.
I knew some fighter jocks. It's likely they were having fun, messing with you. ;)

My younger son admitted to me that he'd pushed my '08 Camry up to 110 MPH on a stretch of highway -- this section is straight and is below 2 ridges, so cops with radar are not a problem, and at that time there was no one else on the road. About as safe as it can get to do something stupid, right?

As they got into their teens, I told my sons stories about the stupid stuff I had done, including some with potentially fatal outcomes. The goal wasn't to impress them -- I survived (sometimes through sheer luck) and was hoping to make them realize the dangers, especially as I didn't want to be called by a friend that one was on the way to the hospital but was not likely to survive.

Nope, I didn't yell at my son -- we discussed it. Then I mentioned that deer cross that section of highway, and to visualize hitting a deer at 110. He thought about it, and turned pale. Mission accomplished!

For those of you who are interested here is a test drive on an '06 S2000. It gets really good at the 6:00 min mark when he road test the car and VTEC's the engine for a bit. This is a really FUN car to drive. These days I take it out about once a month and do a 25 mile loop to Bandelier National Monument and then continue on up towards the Jemez mountains and then to Los Alamos and then back to home in White Rock. Lots of nice curves, enough straightaways to VTEC it a couple times as well.........

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back