Old Vine - Need help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Fischer

Junior
Reaction score
I have moved my office onto my wife's GGGG farm that has been in Bellevue since early 1800's. My mother in law told me that back in the early 1800's they started a winery called Bellevue Wines for several years. Pops had always told me it was really good and somewhere on the property was the original vine that they left, the first one. Well, after getting rid of the black berry bushes I discovered it...

My question...is it dead? I want to revive it and am freaking out.
IMG_3381.jpg

Welcome to the forum. What area of the country do you live in? I don’t see any obvious buds, and judging by the surrounding vegetation I would expect to see some. That said, grape vines can be pretty hardy. If you cut some smaller vines is there any green inside? Maybe you’re lucky and it’s a late variety. If you do get growth your best bet may be to root some cuttings.

Thank you for asking. I am in Washington state and specifically in Bellevue Washington

I know the winery was started in 1812 and it did last 14 years. I do know that it was a regret of the family keeping the winery. I noticed the soil is really Sandy, which is unusual for Bellevue and there’s a natural springs that emanates from the land for a little creek pretty Welcome to the forum. What area of the country do you live in? I don’t see any obvious buds, and judging by the surrounding vegetation I would expect to see some. That said, grape vines can be pretty hardy. If you cut some smaller vines is there any green inside? Maybe you’re lucky and it’s a late variety. If you do get growth your best bet may be to root some cuttings.

welcome to WMT

If the stems are flexible it should be alive. If the picture was taken this year, you don’t have signs of breaks or rot starting three years back, I would vote that it is alive. Is there wildlife damage? insect damage?

Grapes seem to be weeds. I am still mowing over vines that were cut back three years ago at church. If I was intentionally killing grapes they are sensitive to 24D and paint on vine killer does a number.

If I was rooting cuttings to make more copies, last year’s one year old wood works well. Also last years wood is where fruiting buds are.

Latest posts

Back