Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warning, not the best photo, but these buggers are quick. Was doing the lawn, have a grown up patch that I wanted to cut some limbs off of so I could maneuver the push mower around the garden. Cut a few limbs off a small walnut tree, looked up, and said "oh sh!t". Took the best picture I could, uploaded it to the State website to report them. Turns out our township went from no reports last year, to "infested" this year. We have quite a few orchards just north of my location, the lanternfly just loves peaches and apricots and apples etc. These are both early and late nymphs.

7-10-22_laternfly-nymphs.jpg

It's been a busy day. Finished plumbing the drain of the new sink in the guest bath. The original plumber LOVED putty -- it looks like he bathed in it. I had to use a pipe wrench to unscrew the joints and a toothpick to scrape out the putty. Later it turned out I had to replace all parts, but the new drain is good!

goose-neck.jpg

Before going to my son's house to do some house projects, I spotted a doe and 2 fawn in the back yard.

deer.jpg

The previous owner of my son's house left a water hose for the washing machine. Way too late we discovered it's because they couldn't get it off. It appears to be cross-threaded and neither of us were confident we could use more force without breaking something. I can do simple plumbing, but I probably lacks some of the required tools, so he's going to get a plumber to do the job. The spigot looks like it's in bad enough shape that it will need to be replaced. 😞

His garage door opener stopped working yesterday, and we determined it wasn't getting power. Breaker wasn't popped. It took some hunting, but there is 1 outlet in the garage in a not-obvious location. It's a GFI and the breaker was popped. Once I found the GFI, 1 second fix.

A few weeks ago he purchased a multi-tool set at Harbor Freight at a good price. The tools are not high quality, but it's got everything he needs to get started, and he'll build from here. The first additional purchase will probably be a 16 oz claw hammer. The 8 oz hammer that comes with the set is useful, but a bigger hammer is often necessary.

tools.jpg

I just discovered that the new drain in the guest bathroom is leaking a few drops. I get to pull it apart and put it back together. But not today. Right now I'm sipping my 2020 Meritage and not thinking about how much I hate plumbing ....

Not sure I ever posted these pics.
The sign is in Spanish but basically says this is the very first Chevy vehicle sold by the Mr. Barletta and it was called Model 490 because that’s was the price back then, $490 dollars.

The exibition car is in excellent condition and I can only imagine how much is it worth today.

72036A38-E6FF-4822-B096-A34C5E3C0D3B.jpeg
6A18872B-32D3-4793-893B-89DD47203B5A.jpeg

Not sure I ever posted these pics.
The sign is in Spanish but basically says this is the very first Chevy vehicle sold by the Mr. Barletta and it was called Model 490 because that’s was the price back then, $490 dollars.

The exibition car is in excellent condition and I can only imagine how much is it worth today.

View attachment 90451
View attachment 90452
But....but..... it's not an EV. Why are you even looking at it? 😁

Well well. Got my latest issue of CR magazine and this EV got an excellent review. What caught my eye was the fact that this EV has DC Fast Charge. 80% charge in 18min at fast charge stations. Plus KIA still qualifies for $7500 rebate (Federal) plus NM has their own rebate for EV's. Good excuse to perhaps get rid of my 04' Honda S2000 which now has classic car status. Might be almost as fun to drive as the Honda. Would not be looking to take it on any long range road trips. Only local trips and perhaps to ABQ on occasion. Good looking car and it's not made by you know who........ LOL

1657582773185.png

Garden starting to produce...

That means I have to do everything possible to avoid making zucchini wine! 😄

First up, fermented zucchini kraut....and my Szurke.

Airlock showed signs of fermentation in about 2 hours, about average for vegetable ferments.

View attachment 90491
I was walking around the garden today wondering where everyone else's would be at this point. The potatoes are looking good, probably a few more weeks before we get to ravage the 'new' ones. Tomatoes are on the vine and they are healthy, but a long way from ripening. Onions look good, maybe bigger than ever. Peppers are healthy, but small. There are peppers already though.

I took some pictures, I'll post them later.

Everything else still has a pretty long way to go. Zucchini's are dreadful. Might not see any at all.

Good excuse to perhaps get rid of my 04' Honda S2000 which now has classic car status.

I don't recall your sharing you had an S2000! Nice! My neighbor has one, and we keep threatening to have a comparison between his S2000 and my LS1-powered BMW 3-Series, but we have not put the pieces in place yet. I suspect he will win on the top end and I will win on the bottom.

Oh yea. Do a search on S2000 by me and you will see about a dozen hits. Bought it new back in 2004 off Ebay no less from a dealer in OK that wanted to get rid of it as Winter was coming and it was still sitting on the lot. It was basically my commuter car for work as long as the roads were clear/dry. Just turned 50K miles so just getting broken in really. Already had two people want to buy it off me. Had it up to 140mph for a short spell on a closed lab road on the weekend years ago.

1657641090208.png

I don't recall your sharing you had an S2000! Nice! My neighbor has one, and we keep threatening to have a comparison between his S2000 and my LS1-powered BMW 3-Series, but we have not put the pieces in place yet. I suspect he will win on the top end and I will win on the bottom.

Taters
View attachment 90494
Tomatoes are 3-6ft tall
View attachment 90495
View attachment 90496
Peppers
View attachment 90497
Corn, carrots, green beans, and beets. Not much heat to inspire these guys, yet. Probably not going to be a corn year.
View attachment 90498
Looks a lot better than what I have going on. I tried covering the garden with a heavy duty porous poly mulch and burning holes for each tomato, pepper, squash, etc. It keeps the weeds down and lets water through fine, but without a drip irrigation system of some sort under the mulch, there no good way to fertilize anything beyond the little they get at planting time and no way to cultivate anything. Back to the traditional way next year!

Looks a lot better than what I have going on. I tried covering the garden with a heavy duty porous poly mulch and burning holes for each tomato, pepper, squash, etc. It keeps the weeds down and lets water through fine, but without a drip irrigation system of some sort under the mulch, there no good way to fertilize anything beyond the little they get at planting time and no way to cultivate anything. Back to the traditional way next year!
We have tried a few different things over the years, like straw cover to keep weeds down. At this point it is don't mess with what works. We put fish heads (or chopped up fish) under the tomatoes, but other than that no pesticides or fertilizer unless there is a serious issue. Every couple of years we try to find a low spot on the property to dig up some black dirt to replenish nutrients, but that's about it, other than tilling everything in after harvest.

We have neighbours that spend hours in the garden every day. We pretty well plant and let it go for a couple weeks until everything is easily distinguishable from weeds and do a good weeding. A couple more times through the season keeps most things in check, but quite often we are looking pretty haggard compared to the neighbours and our yields are usually better. Kinda like the whole wine is forgiving sort of thing, I guess. Let it do it's thing, if it need water, add water. Otherwise, 🤷‍♂️.

Keep the deer from eating it?

Just turned 50K miles so just getting broken in really.
Pre-COVID, I put 50K miles on a car in less than 2.5 years. Commuting sucks, which is why I'm happy my commute went from 34 miles to 35 steps. :)

Closed lab road my foot, you were outrunning the law! (LOL)

I tried that once in a super nova when I was young and still stupid, lost my license for 6 months...
Ya know, be happy that you just lost the license. Riding with a buddy I ran with in my teens, we went into a slide at 110 MPH, and ending in 360's. No clue how we survived it. It was the first time he scared me (yeah, I was an idiot), and the last time I ever got in a car with him driving. Six years later his younger brother died in a wreck, doing the stuff we did.

Back