Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Very similar to Alberta. Aspens and cottonwoods?
Poplars, birch, and cottonwoods. Our cabin is in NW Wisconsin so we are a bit further east and definitely south of you.

When is sunset these days for you? It was still a little light to the west at 10 pm central time last night, although sunset is officially just after 9 pm.

Tonight sunset is officially 10:15, but we don't see full dark until after midnight. It starts to lighten again around 3:45 AM.

We have a few spruce mixed in and the odd pine, but that is the majority of what is on my property as well.

Your picture is actually very much like a lot of areas in Saskatchewan, but a lake that size you could almost walk across. They are not known for deep bodies of water. It's the only place I have fished where you can watch the fish take your hook. 😄

This is probably 1 of the twin 10 pointers we saw last fall. The buck knows he lives in the city of Green Bay
and there is nothing you can do to him. I opened the door and he didn't move, went on the patio, didn't move.
Had to walk past that chair before he moved 100 ft to the neighbors. He would make some great venison sausage.
1657296762367.png

As a farmer my impression of what is important has changed, ,,, grapes are weedsView attachment 89767
these are on about four foot row spacing by three foot plant spacing. The owner will mow the head land with an electric corded mower.
Grapes fill in any empty space. Grapes are decorative over the patio. , , ,
View attachment 89773
Grapes are more important than a 800 year old castle.
View attachment 89775

I live near those photos in Hungary. That is Sümeg Castle in one photo. Not my castle view. Personally, I see Szigliget Castle from my kitchen window and front porch. How cool is that? :cool:

But I digress....

The post I say is a honest critique. When I first can to Hungary, my view was.... less kind.... First impressions are not always the best impressions.... haha... :)

But... After living here for a long time, I might suggest, it is to consider, that in this region there were many "hobby" vineyards. And during the period of Goulash Communism many of these properties had small vineyards to make wine or Pálinka, to keep themselves and their relative sufficiently intoxicated...... And what one sees is the remnants of that. Which I kind of like myself. Especially as this region is being quickly gentrified, over built, and completely altered. So these photos are a good historical archive.

And the vineyard methods are indeed very different from what some Americans are familiar with. Very close spacing for example is very common here (as it is in much of Europe). And weirdly, it is not really an inappropriate vineyard method. And most vines are hedged, as a matter of course. That is simply how it is done here. After a short 20 years of growing grapes here, versus the 2,000 (ish) years of grape growing experience since the Romans introduced viticulture in Hungary, I can say, I have learned, they have a point. I tried USA methods here and they all failed. I had to finally admit.... Traditional methods really are effective. Experience (2,000 years) may actually win over New World ideology (at least when it comes to growing grapes)....

Edit: Grapes have been grown around Sümeg Castle for maybe 2,000 years (ish). A 800 year old castle is maybe a simple example of politics.... injected around a then already 1000+ year old wine tradition. I was more annoyed by the Tesco they built across the road from the castle within the last 15 years or so. When I first saw Sümeg Castle, there was no Tesco, but there were plenty of vineyards. And there are fewer vineyards today. And there stands a Tesco.... I find that sad....

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Lot of them aren't mine. I just repost things in and around NM. This one is just about 10 mins from the house.

You must change the wall hangings on your walls of your house every month. Your photos are so outstanding that everybody would love to have a few hanging on the walls. Love your work.

Back