Habanero Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter it has suprisingly "cooled down"..Has a "kick ass" flavor to it I think and thus far it has worked well on Shrimp, Chicken and Venison Jerkey

Perhaps Masta can give us some additional input if he has tried his

I have not tried it as of yet but I will inform the head chef of the house to think about a dish to use it in.
smiley36.gif

That wine looks awesome....My Honey eats fresh peppers all summer with almost every meal, then I pickle a lot which he eats all the rest of the year.....that wine would make a great marinade with venison....hummm, can't wait for next summer.....so many good ideas from this group.....thanks!!!!

Will post my Jalapeño Jelly recipe in the food and wine section...it's great on crackers with cream cheese....makes nice Christmas gifts too...kind of late for most of you for this year....but the next Christmas will be a long soon enough.....>later

when you made your Habenero wine what kind of container did you use, glass or plastic? and could you use it again for grape or fruit wine or are you just useing it for hot stuff? thank you kathy

Waldo said:
I am not sure if it matters, but the items added have absorbed some of the wine since I bottled it lowering the level of wine in the bottle.

Waldo, Congrats on the wine. Great experiment.

I suppose the only way to prevent the bottle from gaining airspace would be the soak the items you intend to insert in the bottle in the wine for a week or two before bottling. Perhaps you could place the peppers and herbs in a nylon bag and add them to your bulk wine before bottling so that any air in the peppers would be displaced by the wine.Edited by: dfwwino

Waldo-
How is the Habenero wine coming along? I have a bunch of hot peppers crying for something to be done with them and thought I might give it a try. Was the amount of peppers about right or would you like it hotter or cooler?
smiley15.gif
smiley34.gif

The ammount of peppers I believe was just about right appleman. If I do another batch i think i will take out the seeds and see how it does.Will not be quite so hot that way.

Sounds like a plan. I have some Habenero, Kung Pao, Hot Cherry, Scotch Bonnet, Pepper Mushroom and Hot Garden Salsa. I think I will add some of each since they all have their strong points. The Pepper Mushroom and the Hot Garden Salsa are especially hot and flavorful (they make the Habenero look whimpy). All I need is a primary that won't melt through.
smiley15.gif
smiley36.gif

I have fun with the Garden Salsas and an Italian Frying Pepper- Jimmy Nardello. They look very similar. I tell somebody to try the Garden Salsa and they say is it real hot? "Naw it tastes pretty good" I say as I eat about half of a Jimmy Nardello in front of them. That makes them brave and they try some of the Garden Salsa- brings tears to their eyes every time. The Pepper Mushrooms just make the victims- ahh -samplers start drooling uncontrollably. Only had one start up with a nosebleed. I do warn everbody first- I am really not mean - they do it of their free will, but usually don't ask for any more samples right away.Edited by: appleman

Waldo,
I've been reading through this thread to get inspired! I've got some jalapenos that I need to do something with, and thought this sounds like a very good recipe.I like the idea of the herbs added to the wine.
Could you tell me-was this a 1 gallon batch?3 gallon batch?

Thank you in advance!

Edited to say- Could you post the "final" recipe? I'm chomping at the bit to try this one!Edited by: ms.spain

It was a one gallon batch ms spain. I'm sorry but the final recipe is now "TOP SECRET"
smiley36.gif
Actually from the point I added the tomatoes and herbs to the must my notekeeping went awry so I guess the "final" recipe would be in the pictures which I understand are worth more than a thousand words. I would suggest using and following Jack Kellers recipe for Jalapeno wineEdited by: Waldo

Thanks, Waldo! I bet your wine turned out awesome! Now I'm off to the store for some extra jalapenos-I'm planting habanero plants in the spring-gotta give your recipe a try!!

Waldo,

Did you reuse the primary you made this wine in? If so, did you notice any residual flavor/heat in following batches?

Yes, I reused it pk and noticed no residual flavors or heat on subsequent batches. It was thoroughly cleaned after the Habanero and detected no odors at all after the cleaning.

That's good info. I was holding off due to the possibility of off flavors in my next batch. Guess I'm off to get jalapenos for a gallon.

Mine has long since been gone Pete so your best bet at how it might be now would be Masta..I sent him a bottle and don't know if he ever used his or not.

Hi Waldo. I was surprized to run across this in the forum. I started a Jalapeno/Habanero/Golden Raisin wine Sept 30th. Used 12 Jalapeno, 4 Habanero and the raisins. Also did the puree. I left the seeds in. gotta tell ya... and anyone else that may try this recipe. Make dang certain the cover is tight on the blender when you hit the puree button. The fumes about knocked me out of my socks. Also it was not a pleasant aroma in the kitchen while it was fermenting. Mine is a bit of a different color.. pea green, looks nasty. Will be racking it off the lees this weekend. Thinking maybe I should have used the toilet as the fermenting bucket and when it was done... just flush.

I have been watching your thread RkyMtn to see how it was going. This was really a fun wine and wish I had made another batch this year. I will try to remember to add it to my New Years Resolution list for next year. My wine making season is just about to begin as I do primiraly Country wines with fresh fruit and I like the cooler temps for a slower fermentation. Beginning soon will be Muscadine, Plum, Blackberry and Persimmon. Following NW's Jalapeno/Apple thread I am inclined to try a batch of Jalapeno/Plum and see how that would shake out.

Back