Habanero Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found only one brand of "maters" with no salt added and they are stewed so I am going to try them and see how it does. I checked the SG on the Habanero already brewingand it was still at 1.040 so I put the 3 14oz cans of tomatoes, 3/4 oz freshBasil and 3/4oz fresh Rosemary into a strainer bag. Added 1/2 tsp acid blend, 2 cups sugar (dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water), 1/8 tsp. metabisulphite, 1/16 tsp. pectic enzyme & 1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient into another fermenter with the tomatoes, basil & rosemary. I made a starter with 1/2 cup warm water, 1/4 tsp sugar and 1/8 cup of Habanero wine. I pitched a pack of Montachret to it let it start working and kept adding the Habanero to it till I had a good 1/2 quart going strong. I then racked the Habanero into the new fermenter and poured the starter slowly on the top and capped her off. Will see where she goes from here.

2005-10-23_133529_habaero-tomato.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Very interesting. What happened to making 2 different wines, one with maters and herbs, and the other just Habanero?

smiley20.gif
Edited by: Hippie

smiley36.gif
I took the Habaneros fromthe freezer and set them outside under the carport to thaw and they disappeared. There is a dog somewhere in the neighborhood with a very sore mouth methinks.

I am waiting to hear the howlig and then I will know who the cuilprit was
smiley36.gif

The airlock is bubbling like crazy so my starter definately did it's job. I just hope my fermenter was not too full. I had only about 3 inches of space at the top.Edited by: Waldo

Looks good and I hope the culprit learns alesson not to steal da peppers!

I really cant imagine that a dog would actually eat them but yu never know. I figure he/she grabbed the bag and it is laying in somebodys yard. I checked with my immediate neighbors but noone had seen the bag.

bilbo-in-maine said:
Or maybe check with your wife - did she really want this one in the house,
W?
smiley5.gif

OK Honey, fess up..what did you do with my habanero's
smiley18.gif
oh....OK !!!
smiley36.gif

Racked my Habanero/Tomato/Basil/Rosemary from Primary fermenter at an SG 0f .098.

2005-10-30_143400_racking_habanero_103005.jpg

2005-10-30_143440_habanero_going_in_jug.jpg

Did I taste it.....
smiley19.gif
Wooooooo!!!! It's HOT!! The odor howeverwas quite pleasant, the basil I think was the dominant scent but I could nor really tell as the scent kept changing on me and you keep your nose in Habanero wine only so long
smiley36.gif

I have read that it can be used immediately if fermented to dry but I am going to let it age a bit and see if it will clear up any.

2005-10-30_143703_habanero_racked_103005.jpg

No Angell, I want a good hot cooking wine. Or I think I do anyway
smiley36.gif

Yum. Habanero Vinegrette sounds good!

If you used plenty of pectic enzyme, it should clear with more racking and time.

Top up with pepper sauce?

smiley36.gif
Edited by: Hippie

Hippie said:
Yum. Habanero Vinegrette sounds good!

If you used plenty of pectic enzyme, it should clear with more racking and time.

Top up with pepper sauce?

smiley36.gif

Might not be a bad idea Hippie, I cannot believe how quickly it is clearing up.

2005-10-31_171549_habanero_clearing.jpg

Looking Great Waldo.....If I have any hot peppers left over I might have to try a small batch!

smiley32.gif

masta said:
Looking Great Waldo.....If I have any hot peppers left over I might have to try a small batch!

smiley32.gif

Thanks Masta...I hope it turns out as well as i am anticipating

Back