Initial TA for strawberry wine must?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoke

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to start a 3 gallon batch of strawberry wine from my garden berries from last year. Using Jack Keller’s winemaking recipe for one gallon, scaled up to 3.
Questions-
1. What should the starting TA be for the must prior to pitching the yeast? Or does it matter?
2. Post fermentation he says to test for TA them correct with citric acid, but gives no level to test for! Again any ideas what it should be?

I’m his initial discussion on acids he gives a table fit various wines by type, but says nothing for berry wines. He favors 5.0-6.0 for red non grape wines and 5.0-6.5 for white non grape. Should I use the red number for strawberries prior to pitching, then test again post fermentation for same amount?

I think the reason there are no limits is that the taste preference is different for every wine drinker. The pH is a good indicator of successful ferments. A pH in the mid 3.0’s is good to get the ferment going without stressing the yeast. Once fully fermented you can adjust the wine to taste by adding acid if it’s too flabby, and adding sugar if it’s too tart.

I’ve made wine for decades without ever caring what the acid level or pH was. Now at least I use pH strips. Baby steps!

Getting ready to start a 3 gallon batch of strawberry wine from my garden berries from last year. Using Jack Keller’s winemaking recipe for one gallon, scaled up to 3.
Questions-
1. What should the starting TA be for the must prior to pitching the yeast? Or does it matter?
2. Post fermentation he says to test for TA them correct with citric acid, but gives no level to test for! Again any ideas what it should be?

I’m his initial discussion on acids he gives a table fit various wines by type, but says nothing for berry wines. He favors 5.0-6.0 for red non grape wines and 5.0-6.5 for white non grape. Should I use the red number for strawberries prior to pitching, then test again post fermentation for same amount?
Take those berries and make only two gallons. You won’t be disappointed! Most people here think his fruit wine recipes benefit greatly from upping the fruit content.

I make about 3 batches of strawberry wine a year
I have never bothered with TA on them
Fruit wines are different than grape wines, some of what we stress about in a grape wine we just relax in a fruit wine
my concern in a fruit wine is having enough pectin enzyme and setting up for about 10 % alcohol so not to destroy the fruity taste.
I will force stop fermentation at 10% and then back sweeten if needed

Questions-

taste it then adjust with citric if it is flat

2. Post fermentation he says to test for TA them correct
The function of pH in a wine is that acidity prevents pathogens from growing. The function of TA in wine is that it tastes pleasing~ making an adult beverage. Generally speaking pH is better the lower we push it. 4.0 prevents pathogens, 3.5 resists most wild lactobacillus, 3.2 with free SO2 resists infection and if you go below 2.8 most yeast will struggle.
Testing for TA is appropriate after fermentation. How? #1 is to taste it. ,,, Yes we can monitor TA in the must or off the field but what matters is balancing flavors. The general function is that more TA carries more fruity aromatics and TA requires sugar for back sweetening. ie If you want a dry wine you keep the TA low as 0.5% (11% alcohol is sweet) If my style is maximum flavor I may set the TA at 1.0 or 1.25% and back sweeten to 1.015 (with K sorbate).

BUT life isn't a two component meal. If you add tannin which acts as an antioxidant and improves shelf life, tannin magnifies the acid taste so it balances with more sweet flavor.

Questions-

As long as your in the standard TA range, its more about the flavor. I usually check TA just to see if I have a big problem. If so, i’ll correct the acid right away. Otherwise, if its close to what I was expecting (depending on the fruit) then, i may do a bench trial, now or later, with minor adjustments like adding citric to see how it improves the flavor.

With PH, I always try to target below 3.5 so that I dont have to add a ton of kmeta to help preserve the wine before bottling. Ive also done fruit, like lemon wine, that was in the high 2’s PH. It fermentated, but had another set of issues.

Latest posts

Back