Habanero Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
I am going to use Jack Kellers recipe for Jalapeno wine http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques32.aspand try making some Habanero wine for cooking. I got these from my Brother and they just seemed to cry out to me to make some wine from them. Heck, this might be one to enter in the wine tasting contest in April.
smiley36.gif

Getting all my ingrediants together today and will post results as I progress.

2005-10-17_014721_habanero.jpg

Wow they look awesome and hot and should make a great cooking wine to spice up your life.

Gloves are a must when handling these babies!!!
smiley36.gif

I am tearing up and salivating madly all at the same time from just the pic! Be sure and de-seed and de-vein also! Better you than me!

smiley20.gif

Will do Masta and Hippie. Damn I wishI had Stinkie here with me with his goggles and stuff.
smiley36.gif

Wow. For a second there I thought you were pulling my leg.
smiley36.gif

Post pics!
smiley20.gif

smiley19.gif
Got the Habanero's processed with only a few tears. I was actually feeling the heat through the gloves and stopped and rinsed them off a couple of times before I got through. Processed the habaneros into a fine puree instead of coarse chopped. I did this because I actually want the puilp in the wine at the end, At least I thinkI do. May filter it out later. We'll see. Anyway, I choped up the raisins (Golden) in the Bullet and placed them in a strainer bag (footies panty hose..new of course) Processed my campden tablet , acid blend and yeast nutrient in the "Bullet" and added it to the must, stirring in well. Dissolved my sugar in 3 qts water, added to must stirred well and covered.

2005-10-18_030505_hab1.jpg

Added 1/2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme this morning and checked SG which is at 1.085

2005-10-18_030553_hab2.jpg

Will check SG agan this evening and if OK will pitch my yeast ( Red Star Premier Cuvee)Edited by: Waldo

Really! All those peppers for only one gallon? It's gonna be good! I think the raisins should have went in your morning cereal instead, but just my opinion.

Keep the pics coming!

Hippie said:
Really! All those peppers for only one gallon? It's gonna be good! I think the raisins should have went in your morning cereal instead, but just my opinion.

Keep the pics coming!

Only 22 were used in this batch Hippie/Masta. Rest are in the freezer for future use. I checked the SG again this evening and it actually rose a bit. It was at 1.090 but still an acceptable level so I pitched the yeast. Will see how the fermenting goes. Thinking about preparing another batch for a gallon and add tomatoes and basil to it. Edited by: Waldo

Sounds great....22 should make a very hot wine. I wonder what happens to the capsicum during fermentation if anything?

Not sure Masta. I know in the past I have made a pepper oil with habaneros and jalapenos. I simply stuff a pint jar full of either or a combination of both, add a tablespoon of olive oil and then fill jar with boiling hot vinegar. makes an excellent oil for seasoning. The oil seems to extract a lot more heat from the peppers than just the vinegar will alone.

Did you happen to weigh the 22 peppers? I would like to make one with sweet peppers some time and also one with hot peppers. Both for cooking of course.

Can you put a pepper in the bottle right before bottling?

It works for tequila!
smiley36.gif

I can't see any reason not to as long as the pepper is clean and whole without bruising or defects.

Hippie said:
Did you happen to weigh the 22 peppers? I would like to make one with sweet peppers some time and also one with hot peppers. Both for cooking of course.

I Did not weigh them Hippie

Well, the ole Red Star seem to be getting the job done quite nicely

2005-10-19_020441_habs_fermenting_101805.jpg

Looking ahead to Saturdays batch with tomatoes and basil I am wondering if the canned tomatoes will work for making wine?

Make sure they have no salt added, and are just tomatoes in their own juices. Maybe the same amount of peppers and 1 large can of tomatoes for the same size batch? You can get Italian style canned tomatoes, not sure what all they contain. I know basil, and I think oregano.

Latest posts

Back