Habanero Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang Waldo.. your either an early riser or enjoy staying up late.

my home winemaking started out as a bit of an accident. Became disabled June of 07... spinal issues...nothing like NW and swill are going thru, my prayers are certainly with them.

So this past spring I was remembering helping my Dad when he made dandelion wine... it was my job to pick the dandy flowers.. real fun. but I do remember he had fun with it... he decided it didnt have enough punch so he put some everclear in it... I was to young to drink it but I could see him and his friends had a blast.

Well... I procrastinated and by the time I gathered wine making equipment the dandelions were gone. I stashed the equipment away for a later date and did not think of it again until the grandaughters got tired of my june bearing strawberries... I could see quite a few were ripe for the picking and the squirrels were enjoying them. Canned some strawberry jam and still had quite a few left so decided to make some wine.

Certainly struggled with that. Had problems with the yeast, would not do a thing. Stopped at the wine/beer store where I got the equipment and they really were not interested in my issue. I called Lalvin and they talked me thru my problem... However, I still have issues with yeast. Not sure what I am doing wrong.. following all the directions.. temps are good. But over half of the wine I have started I had to add more yeast. Peach as an example.... Added 3 different times and still nothing.. was thinking of dumping it... but i figured what the heck... one more time... and it finally kicked off... wow.. did it ever kick off... Hope its ok because I have 3 gallons of that in carboy and its cleared up quite nicely.

After those experiences I finally got online and got some good info. Just stumbled across this forum and really enjoy it.... nice people here and very helpful.

Wow am I rambling... sorry about that.

Anyway, here is a pic of my ingredients for the Pepper wine.
20081107_061922_hotpeppers_Smal.jpg

Well good morning.... Hmmm I dont think the morning is all that great in Mn... I see you have a front moving in... just spoke with my brother and they are getting ready for deer hunting... and not looking forward to the nasty snow?/rain?/cold?

Actually I took the pic with the intentions of making a label with it... but alas, out of focus.

one of my jars of canned Jalapeno/Habanero. Just to the left is my one gallon of concord wine from my lowly grape vine. Going to rack, degass and add one campden to that this morning... awesome recipe on the peppers willing to share if your interested.
20081107_070151_100_2760_Small.jpg
s Edited by: RkyMtnWine

Racked the concord. Now I should rack the jalapeno. Started fermentation on 9-30 with sg of 90. When sg hit 1,030 I racked it.. that was on 10-6. Now is a question. I am going by the recipes that say to rack once it hits about 1,030. Is that typically the way you do it. Tiny bit of fermentation going on here... slow bubbles.

Here is a pic. Nice use for my milk bottles.
20081107_094041_100_2762_Small.jpg

Hummm....never thought of using milk bottles.....don't know if we have any 2 qt....will have to look through our collection of antique bottles.....

Thanks for sharing....
smiley4.gif

Hi NW

Tight budget here so using what I can find.. Neighbors are getting a kick out of my hobby.. they think I am crazy... making beet, hot pepper. And they know I dont drink so they are really curious as to whey I am doing this.. Oh well... its time to start. Went to web site on how to taste wine. Geeze.. thats quite involved... Also local liquor store has wine tasting every sat afternoon so will try that.

We try to be on a tight budget too....but I do spend more than I care to on Wine Making stuff....Hey...it keeps us off the streets.

I also am not drinking wine at this time...I have been tasting some....My esophagus is still reeling from the reactions to Chemo, so many wines burn all the way down...I check the acid and they are okay...it's just me.

I am tasting food again...everything is starting to taste good...so that's a start. Gaining weight and feeling good!!!!

Edited by: Northern Winos

Have read most of the threads on what you are going through, you and swill. Really sad how that illness strikes and how you have to deal with it on a day to day basis. Yet knudging it off to side and driving on and enjoying life and sharing with others... Hang in there.. I see you have a ton of friends here pulling for you.

RkyMtn...Your wines are looking great and i would love to have your pepper recipe.
What was the issue with the yeast? I was thinking as I read that as your supplier had no interest in your problem or wine making that you may have gotten some out dated yeast from them?

OK... going to do this different.. I had the recipe almost done.. and it was quite lengthy.. notice I had any email, opened that and when I came back my recipe went poof
smiley7.gif

Will do a retry in the morning... Have a great evening. Just had a sample of the pickled jalapeno... wow.... hot little buggers.. but tasty. I always have a glass of milk close by to put out the fire.

Before I compose the recipe for Pickled Jalapeno Peppers I thought you might find this interesting if you were thinking the Habanero was the hottest pepper. Jalapeno is way down on the list..

15,000,000–16,000,000...Pure Capsaicin2,000,000–5,300,000.....Standard US Grade Pepper Spray

855,000–1,041,427.......Naga Jolokia

876,000–970,000.........Dorset Naga

350,000–577,000.........Red Savina Habanero

100,000–350,000.........Habanero Chile

100,000–350,000.........Scotch Bonnet

100,000–200,000.........Jamaican Hot Pepper

50,000–100,000..........Thai, Malagueta, Chiltepin Peppers

30,000–50,000...........Cayenne, Ají, Tabasco Peppers

10,000–23,000...........Serrano Pepper

7,000–8,000.............Tabasco Sauce (Habanero Pepper)

5,000–10,000............Wax Pepper

2,500–8,000.............Jalapeño Pepper

2,500–5,000.............Tabasco Sauce (Tabasco Pepper)

1,500–2,500.............Rocotillo Pepper

1,000–1,500.............Poblano Pepper

600–800.................Tabasco Sauce (Green Pepper)

500–1000................Anaheim Pepper

100–500.................Pimento, Pepperoncini

0...........................Bell Pepper

Pickled Jalapeno recipe:
Pepper prep. Not a bad idea to wear rubber gloves. I dumped all the peppers in cold water... swished them around a lot and rinsed. Snipped off stems close to the base. Used a razor blade to slit the bottom and top of the pepper making sure I went deep enough into the cavity. Reason for this is to make sure the liquid gets into the pepper when you pack them into the jars. You notice I did not take the seeds out, your call, I like them hot. If you deseed you will no doubt have to use more peppers.

My recipe makes 8 quarts.

Ingredients:
6# 11 0z peppers (I mixed in some habaneros)
14 cups vinegar
8 cups water
8 tbs Olive oil
8 tbs canning salt
32 pepper corns
2 large onions cut into wedges
4 cups sliced or diced carrots
3 cloves garlic... chopped

In clean, hot,sterile quart jars divide out all ingredients except the vinegar and water. Sterilize the lids... low boil. Bring water and vinegar to boil. Pour into jars within 1/2" of top...use butter knife to assist in packing the peppers into the jars...Little messy because of the olive oil, but you have to try to pack very very tight to get the liquid into the peppers. I tried the recipe without the olive oil andno one cared for it. After tight packingadd liguid to bring back up to 1/2" from top.wipe of jar tops... put on lids and band.Bring canner almost to boil and lower jars into the hot water... do not add jars to canner when water is boiling... you will break a jar... I found that out. Bring water to boil and process for 10 minutes.... 13for my altitude... 4,500 ft. Allow to cure for about 6 weeks (my sons dont let that happen, they go after them within the next day).

Note: you can add the salt, peppercorns, and olive oil to the water/vinegar when you boil... I just found it to messy with the olive oil. After they cool down the water level will drop in some of the jars... Not an issue... they are OK.

Any questions, let me know.Edited by: RkyMtnWine

My recipe procedure says to cut a slit in the bottoms of the peppers...then soak them for 12-24 hours in brine...rinse and then proceed with your recipe.
*Wearing rubber gloves.

Slicing them and soaking them makes them softer for packing in the jars, and...the slit makes the pickling solution go inside the peppers....Then, no low liquid levels in the jars,

Good idea, I will add that to my proceedure. It is a struggle to try to pack them and fill up the cavity.

Thanks for posting the recipe and thanks to NW for the additional tip

got a question on soaking the peppers that long. They will cool off .... do you reheat them before packing in the jars? Do you packthem in the jars with the hot brine and dont put on the lids? after they cool off pack them more and top off the liquid? Guess my thinking is they are supposed to be hot before putting in the canner. I do see some recipes where the peppers are toasted before packing them... didnt like that idea.Edited by: RkyMtnWine

<div ="msg" style="overflow: auto; : left;">
<center>Here is a Post I had made awhile back...

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1939&amp;KW=pickled+peppers&amp;PID=25639#25639

PICKLED</span> PEPPERS</span></center>

- 10 QUARTS JALAPEÑO OR OTHER PEPPERS</span>

BRINE:

- 1 1/2CUPS CANNING SALT

- 4 QUARTS WATER

WASH AND CUT A SLIT UP THE TIP OF THE PEPPERS</span>....

20060919_125221_pick_produce_Sm.jpg

MAKE A BRINE, DISSOLVE SALT IN WATER, POUR OVER PEPPERS</span>...

20060919_125347_Jalapenos_brine.jpg

PLACE A PLATE WITH A WEIGHT ON TOP OF PEPPERS</span> TO KEEP THEM SUBMERGED.....

20060919_125459_sink_hots_Small.jpg

SET ASIDE FOR 12-18 HOURS....

DRAIN AND RINSE....

HEAT:

- 10 CUPS VINEGAR

- 2 CUPS WATER

- 1/2 CUP SUGAR

- 2 TABLESPOON PREPARED HORSERADISH..[OPTIONAL]

IN STERILIZED JARS PACK A FEW CLOVES OF FRESH GARLIC AND PEPPERS</span>....

COVER WITH BOILING LIQUID TO 1/4 INCH FROM TOP....

CAP AND PROCESS 10 MINUTES....

20060919_125831_peppers_done_Sm.jpg

As for the bucket of bell peppers</span> in the photo, cut them up and freeze for stir fry and cooking this winter....works great!!!

20060919_130234_forzen_bells_Sm.jpg

I like your prep better than mine.. I did mix and match peppers.. jalapeno, habanero, and banana. I tried my recipe without the olive oil and did not care for it... did you ever include olive oil in your recipe?

Back