Frozen Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UAVWMN,

Just use 1 tablet of campden to protect your 1 gallon batch. I hope you have campden tabs.

Darn it Appleman, you are some fast and I already had two cups of coffee this morning. I need to save your suggestion and file it away for future reference.

One other thing. If you are gonna do a f-pac you might want to add the clearifier after you make the f-pac.
I make a f-pac a little different. For 1 gal I would use 1 1/2# of fresh or frozen strawberries. Put them in a large frying pan and warm them and add some simple syrup,let the water from the strawberriesevaporate. Do not boil. Then strain and add to your wine. After that TASTE to your liking and add more simple syrup to taste. Let it clear for a month..or more thenbottle.
FYI I bulk age my fruit wines for at least 6 months.

gaudet, I have camden tabs. Will crush up one. thank you.
smiley4.gif

tepe, how much "simple syrup??? Amount of water?? Amount of sugar? Please specify. thanks.

Appleman, I will crush a camden tab in there.

And just dump some sugar in some water to make a simple syrup. No measuring required, I assume.
smiley36.gif

Simple Syrup = 1 part water to 2 parts sugar. Boil water and add sugar. Heat and stirtill water is clear. I use a spaghetti jar 26oz for that. So 1 jar of water to 2 jars of sugar. That will give you extra.

Tepe, lol, I racked my strawberry wine to 1 gal jug. It is the color of grapefruit juice!!! Picture to follow.

Will crush a camden tab in there also.

Had lots of juice leftover.

uavwmn said:
Tepe, lol, I racked my strawberry wine to 1 gal jug. It is the color of grapefruit juice!!! Picture to follow.

Will crush a camden tab in there also.

Had lots of juice leftover.

Hopefully you put that leftover in a 1.5 ltr bottle. As your wine clears you will lose some when racking.
If doing the f-pac do it between rackings. What I suggest is to transfer into a sanitized LARGER bucket and then add f-pac and stir.. Than transfer to probably multiple containers.

Put the leftovers in a wine bottle with airlock and a part of a crushed camden tab.

This is the color of the wine after first racking.
smiley3.gif

20090201_101338_StrawberryWine.JPG

Color looks ok for this stage. How much do you have in a wine bottle?

Do you have a air lock on that bottle?

A word of CAUTION here uavwmn. Before adding the f-pack, sugar syrup, whatever you want to call it- BE SURE TO ADD POTASSIUM SORBATE along with the campden tablet. You are adding another food source for the leftover yeast in your wine and it may resume fermentation and eat that sugar up. It is a very bad thing if it is in the bottles at that point.

The wine bottle is almost full with an airlock on it.
Appleman, I will be sure to add the potassium sorbate before the F-pak.

So, now it sits and clears in the jug for awhile, yes? Then rack to another jug, add the sorbate, another camden tab, then the fpak. Correct?

Since you just added the campton tab no need to add more at this time.

Sorbate and make sure it is dissolved then you can do the f-pac. Let it sit a couple of weeks then add clairifier and let it sit another 2 weeks then transfer. Start aging. You may need to rack again or 2

You only want to add a campden tablet approx every 3 months now since you have already added 1. Do not add 1 at every racking!!!

this could exactly take a while to truly clear to its real color,a fellow wine maker in our group bob mat. strawberry wine was excellent and won 1ST place in hammonton wine event but it took a while to clear using this method what would exhilarate the process is placing the container in a cold environment say a garage,so many ways to play YES.

tepe, this wine has to clear first before I add the potassium sorbate and the fpac, correct?
smiley4.gif

tepe said:

Sorbate and make sure it is dissolved then you can do the f-pac. Let it sit a couple of weeks then add clairifier and let it sit another 2 weeks then transfer. Start aging. You may need to rack again or 2</font>

He says to sorbate first. Then clarify after adding the f-pack.

gaudet said:
tepe said:

Sorbate and make sure it is dissolved then you can do the f-pac. Let it sit a couple of weeks then add clairifier and let it sit another 2 weeks then transfer. Start aging. You may need to rack again or 2

He says to sorbate first. Then clarify after adding the f-pack.

Right you are Gaudet
smiley20.gif

You could add the clairifier after 1-2 weeks. I wait just to let the f-pac "mingle" before claering.

tepe, made the F-pac for the strawberry wine. Let it maturate in a pot overnight and now it is sitting back in the glass with an airlock. Added 1/8th teaspoon of a campden tab..

Do I use the clarifiing agent in a couple of weeks?

Now it sits and bulk ages, then bottle, correct? There was no degassing of this wine???

Hope to get my notes straight on the correct steps for this wine. As this was my first one, it seems the steps were all "scattered". haha
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back