Frozen Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tepe, as this is my first fuit wine, i really didn't know what yeast was the best when I was ordering from George. Probably should have asked first.
Will use the Montrachet.

I am so excited now, I am looking to make my next fruit wine!!! haha

Maybe a 2 gallon double fruit. Blackberry/raspberry??
Would the Cote des Blancs yeast be good for any fruit wine??

uavwmn said:
tepe, as this is my first fuit wine, i really didn't know what yeast was the best when I was ordering from George. Probably should have asked first.
Will use the Montrachet.

I am so excited now, I am looking to make my next fruit wine!!! haha

Maybe a 2 gallon double fruit. Blackberry/raspberry??
Would the Cote des Blancs yeast be good for any fruit wine??

It may be just me but I use CDB on all my fresh fruits.
Ck out what I have fermenting I just posted.
http://www.finevinewines.com/wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6784&PID=98129#98129

tepe, I have ordered the CB and an acid tester also.

The Strawberry wine got its little yeast starter today at 2pm. 3 hrs later it has a light foam on it. WOO HOO

uavwmn said:
tepe, I have ordered the CB and an acid tester also.

The Strawberry wine got its little yeast starter today at 2pm. 3 hrs later it has a light foam on it. WOO HOO

COOL !

Keep us posted on what happens.

ok, I got the acid tester. When do I use this thing???
smiley36.gif

Before fermentation as a balanced must will ferment better and then again after as sometimes fermentation ca burn off some acid but not as critical as it should still be pretty close.

Wade, I pitched the yeast on 25 Jan of the strawberry wine. Checked SG this afternoon and it is at .990
Is this bad and what do I do next?
I thought the finishing SG should be around 1.030?
smiley3.gif

All I can say is WOW !.
That was one fast fermentation. Double check the gravity. If it is indeed .990 it fermented dry. Rack and wait a week and if still the same start to add fining.
Remember you will need to backsweeten your strawberry. maybe add and f-pac.

tepe, I will definitely have to make an f-pak with this. I want a sweet strawberry wine.

I posted this last night but it didn't seem to make it there. That was a really fast fermentation, but then smaller batches seem to go fasteer. If you are at 0.990, it is totally dry and yes you will need to add sorbate and sweeten if you want it sweet.

You say you thought it would finish at 1.030. Is that because you read about transfering it at that SG? It is the hope that at transfer, the wine keeps fermenting to dry otherwise it is cinsidered a stuck fermentation. Best of luck to you with this one. It should be very tasty especially if you add a fruit/flavor pack.

appleman, maybe because it is about 74 degrees in the room??
I too was shocked when I read the SG. lol
Yes, I read a thread (maybe Wade's) that it would finish at 1.030.

Looks like I will be learning how to make an F-pak.
smiley36.gif

Thanks for the response and help, as always.

UAV, with that starting sg any yeast will take it to dry and I never said it would finish sweet. If you wanted to try and leave it sweet you would have had to up the starting sg and go with a much weaker strain of yeast as even the Montrachet would take it to around 16 and thats way to much for a strawberry wine. I will say this, trying to get a wine to finish off sweet is a crap shoot and unless you have the ability to help stop the wine from fermenting like very cold weather or a fridge big enough to keep this in for a week or two you stand the chance to go past your desired sweetness.

Wade, I misunderstood the previous thread. And sometimes the way I describe things get twisted.
smiley36.gif
I only meant that I thought I was to rack at an SG of 1.030.

In any case, do you think this is worth salvaging? Or should I dump it and start over? I now have some CB yeast.

Any suggestions??

Absolutely worth salvaging, just needs a little sweetening like any fruit wine would if you like them with a sweetness.

uavwmn said:
Wade, I misunderstood the previous thread. And sometimes the way I describe things get twisted.
smiley36.gif
I only meant that I thought I was to rack at an SG of 1.030.

In any case, do you think this is worth salvaging? Or should I dump it and start over? I now have some CB yeast.

Any suggestions??/QUOTE]

Uav...
Patience, You did nothing wrong. Your wine just fermented fast. Like Wade and myself said you will want to backsweeten the wine prior to bottling. In the meantime, Start fining.

Tepe maybe you should explain what you mean by fining to her. She may not know what you mean.

And no you should not dump the batch. It is just fine. It may have just lost some of the strawberry flavor due to a hot fast ferment from the yeast you used. That is why I suggested you use a flavor pack. That will sweeten it and add the flavors you want.

Applemen,

Yes I should, sometimes I think everyone knows so here goes to those who are not sure.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
After fermentation you will need to add 1/4tsp of Potassiun-Metabisulfite. This will help so your wine don't go bad. Keeps the O2 out of your wine and act as a preservative. After adding that mix well. Then add potassium Sorbate. Mix well. You may want to add clarifier if you want ( suggested) if you don't filter your fruit wine. All this I would suggest to do in the secondary. Some here may do it a different time. That’s what is so cool here. We all may have a little different twist in our winemaking and we ALL make good wine.

You should consider either a F-pac or simple syrup.3 things to remember
Patience
Patience
Patience
Always ask if you are not sure and NO DO NOT TOSS your wine.

tepe, this is my first fruit wine. lol, don't assume anything I may or may not know.
smiley36.gif

Don't we usually add 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfate to a 6 gal carboy?
As this is a 1 gal batch, 1/4 tsp seems like alot.

Also, after adding the fining agents, do I try and degass this wine?

And does anyone have an F pak recipe for a gal batch for strawberry wine?

You are CORRECT.
smiley20.gif

This info was for a 6 gallon batch. Since I never made a 1 gallon batck I defer to those who know. You will need a gram scale though to measure the chemicals. After fining then I would degas.

uavwmn this is where the campden tablets shine. One tablet per gallon, thorughly crushed before adding. Another way to do it is get a little graduated cylinder in ounces or ml. Using ml as an example- fill the cylinder with 120 ml of wine or water. Then add 1/4 teaspoon of k-meta to this and stir or shake to mix well. Then pour in 20 ml of the mixture. This is 1/6 of the total or 1/6 of the 1/4 tsp of k-meta.

As far as the f-pack just use the procedure Wade spoke of in the other post. It isn't rocket science - you basically take juice, add sugar and boil to reduce it down some and add to the wine.

Latest posts

Back