Frozen Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bdks, am I going to stir the yeast in or sprinkle it on top of the juice? Won't the straining bag get in the way of the yeasties??

I would make a starter. Add yeast to room temp water and a little of your must. Wait 30 min and then pour in.

tepe, awesome. Thanks for the quick response. Want to start this tonight.
smiley36.gif

uavwmn said:
bdks, when did you add the white grape concentrate?

I have the strawberries thawing now. I keep adding a little sugar to this until the sg is about 1.080 or 1.085?

And I get the SG correct and then add the yeast the following day?

Add all of the ingredients except the yeast today:

strawberries
pectic enzyme
tannin
acid blend
campden
yeast nutrient
grape juce concentrate
water

I also used bentonite according to manufacturer directions.

Get the total amount close to the size of your fermenter. Let the bag of strawberries sit in the fermenter for a while to get some of the juice mixed in. Stir really well and start taking sg readings. You will not need much sugar as the grape juice is replacing most of it. Yeast will not go in until 24 hours later.

I started at 1.085 sg.

uavwmn said:
bdks, am I going to stir the yeast in or sprinkle it on top of the juice? Won't the straining bag get in the way of the yeasties??

I poured mine right on top like a wine kit. The temperature was a little low so I used a space heater in the room.

I will have some photos tonight. Do not have digital camera with me. I racked the wine again today at 1.000 sg. Ended up with 3 gallons after leaving tons sediment behind. It is already dropping more sediment, about 1/8 inch on the bottom.

Thanks for the quick response. Will start my first fuit wine this afternoon!! WOO HOO
smiley4.gif

Ok, took the leap into "Fruit Wine" 101.
smiley36.gif

I am making a 1 gallon batch of Strawberry wine.

5 lbs organic frozen strawberries
1 can white grape concentrate
4 cups of sugar got me to an SG of 1.082
7 pints water
1/2 t peptic enzyme
1/4 t tannin
1 t acid blend
1 crushed campden
1 t yeast nutrient

Got the berries in the strainer bag, mushed them by hand.
Stirred in all ingredients.
Note: added sugar in increments of 1 cup at a time, stirred, then took SG reading.

Sitting in primary for 24 hrs.

Thank you all for your advice and help.
smiley36.gif

20090124_173130_ingredients.JPG

Forgot the picture of the white grape juice can.

20090124_173354_berries_water.JPG

Added all the dry ingedients in little glass container there.

You didnt include the yeast in your ingredients. What was that? Also I hope you did not add the yeast the same time you added all the other stuff. Yeast should be added 24+ hrs after you add the pectic and campton tabs.

Looks good. You might want to start a new thread. Makes it easier to get help with questions / problems.

As promised here are a few photos.

20090124_180501_100_1246.JPG

20090124_180639_100_1248.JPG

Wade, I took your advice on using an extra pound of strawberries for the 1 gallon recipe. Also used the white grape concentrate juice also.

Tepe, yeast was in the ingredients picture. And I have NOT added the yeast yet. Will do that this afternoon.
smiley4.gif

Just wondering. Which yeast are you using?

BTW What Beer was in the glass?

tepe, I am thinking of using the Lavin EC-1118. I have a Montrachet yeast also.

Sam Adams Heif in the glass.
smiley36.gif

uavwmn said:
tepe, I am thinking of using the Lavin EC-1118. I have a Montrachet yeast also.

Sam Adams Heif in the glass.
smiley36.gif

If thats all you have use Montrachet.
If you have Cote des Blancs or D-47 I would use either one of them.

I make Strawberry and use Cote des Blancs. It gives a more fruity flavor.

Latest posts

Back