Frozen Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wade, thanks for the info. A llittle heavier on the strawberries as in more than the recipe calls for? What would you suggest for a2 gal recipe? As that is what I am going to make to start as my first fruit wine.

uavwmn said:
bdks, I am still confused on a couple of things. Where does the grape juice concentrate come in to this recipe?
Also you have in your text SG reaches 1.030. Is the starting SG 1.085?? And then it drops down to 1.030?
And what type of fermenting bucket are you using? The regular 6 gal bucket?
Sorry for the questions.
smiley36.gif

I assume this is the 1.030?

When ferment reaches S.G. 1.030 (about 5 days) strain
juice from bag. Syphon off sediment into clean secondary.
Attach lock.

Correct starting SG is 1.085, this was a suggested change to recipe by a few members of the forum. It will drop to 1.030, alcohol weighs less than water if I recall correctly. I am going to check today to see how it is going so far. I will post numbers later today.

The bucket is a new 5 gallon food grade bucket. I picked it up at the local farm supply store for about $5 with a lid. The juice concentrate is added to all the ingredients in step 1. It takes place of some of sugar in recipe. Think i used maybe 5 cups of sugar total. Just keep stiring and checking Starting SG instead of relying on amounts provided in recipe.

uavwmn said:
Great pictures bdks. Is that a straining bag or another type of bag?
This will be my first venture away from a kit, so I am excited. haha

<table ="Catalog" id="products" width="100%" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><t><tr><td ="table" width="2%" align="default"><div align="center">4722 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2237_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Straining Bag, Small Coarse

Coarse, 12" X 19"</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$3.99</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$3.99 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Stocked </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

Shipping Cost Estimate</td></tr></t></table>
Think it was this one.

uavwmn said:
Wade, thanks for the info. A llittle heavier on the strawberries as in more than the recipe calls for? What would you suggest for a2 gal recipe? As that is what I am going to make to start as my first fruit wine.

I went with 3 lbs per gallon. It will turn out good. 3.5 gallons per gallon is what the receipe calls for. I am not sure how 1 pound difference in 2 gallon will be?

I made a Strawberry /Kiwi wine 2 years ago using frozen strawberries and fresh kiwis. I used 4 lbs of strawberries for that batch and found that it was just about right. I might even add another 1/2 lb per gallon next time.

Gave it a gentle stir tonight to move the bag contents around. SG1.030, I did not expect it to be that low tonight.... Just mixed up some of sediment
smiley35.gif
. Going to let it go until tomorrow. will check sg again. Possibly moving on to next step in recipe...

When ferment reaches S.G. 1.030 (about 5 days) strain
juice from bag. Syphon off sediment into clean secondary.
Attach lock.

Checked on it after dinner. It has settled slightly. Went ahead and transferred to secondary. Had some problems with racking cane. Ended up picking up bunch of sediment. Guess I don't have enough hot air. Spouse said otherwise...
smiley3.gif
Autosiphon is next on my list.

Final Look at bucket.

20090120_195003_100_1240.JPG

4 jugs

20090120_195203_100_1241.JPG

Artwork...

20090120_195358_100_1243.JPG

We also sampled some. Think I might end up liking it better than the blackberry merlot.
smiley20.gif

You dont have to suck start it you know, you can just start it by filling the racing hose with clean water and then let that flow into separate container until wine begins to flow. doesnt matter at this point anyway as youll be racking soon enough anyway after you clear it.

BDKS said:
Checked on it after dinner. It has settled slightly. Went ahead and transferred to secondary. Had some problems with racking cane. Ended up picking up bunch of sediment. Guess I don't have enough hot air. Spouse said otherwise...
smiley3.gif
Autosiphon is next on my list.

Final Look at bucket.

20090120_195003_100_1240.JPG

4 jugs

20090120_195203_100_1241.JPG

Artwork...

20090120_195358_100_1243.JPG

I think you will love the auto siphon. I know I like mine a lot.

wade said:
You dont have to suck start it you know, you can just start it by filling the racing hose with clean water and then let that flow into separate container until wine begins to flow. doesnt matter at this point anyway as youll be racking soon enough anyway after you clear it.

I was about to try that next. Problem is I could not keep siphon going with racking cane. Ended up sticking tube directly in without the cane. I even had the bucket sitting on top of another bucket on top of the counter.

Wade, should his gallon jugs be topped off closer to the neck of the bottle?

Looks really good bdks!!! Nice pictures. I am using your threads to guide me thru my first fruit wine.
smiley4.gif
No pressure, buddy.
smiley36.gif

uavwmn said:

I would have topped mine up a little more, but it seems as if he has a fairly active secondary fermentation going so he should be ok. I would definitely condense that to 3 gallon jugs and a 1.5L when I racked again.

uavwmn said:
Wade, so you would recommend 4 1/2 lbs strawberries per gallon?

I'm not Wade, but I don't think 4 1/2 lbs per gallon would hurt. It really depends on how fruity you want the taste on the front end. If you are using fresh berries from the grocery, then 4 1/2 might be better. If you have some that are frozen, then 3-4 would be ok as they will usually be more ripe and have more of the natural sugars and flavor.

Eland said:
uavwmn said:

I would have topped mine up a little more, but it seems as if he has a fairly active secondary fermentation going so he should be ok. I would definitely condense that to 3 gallon jugs and a 1.5L when I racked again.

That is exactly the plan. It is still very active. One bottle might have almost turned into a volcano last night. It is coated about 2 inches down from the top. The airlocks are still bubbling at a rapid rate.

bdks, when did you add the white grape concentrate?

I have the strawberries thawing now. I keep adding a little sugar to this until the sg is about 1.080 or 1.085?

And I get the SG correct and then add the yeast the following day?

Latest posts

Back