WMT (Unofficial) Strawberry Coastal White Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about an update on number of final entries, when judging is to begin and be completed and etc.? I'm assuming the entry deadline is past now?
Not being pushy, I'd just like to know when to check in on results.

How about an update on number of final entries, when judging is to begin and be completed and etc.? I'm assuming the entry deadline is past now?
Not being pushy, I'd just like to know when to check in on results.

That's a Roger there Jimmy! I received 4 bottles. Last bottle came today just in time. Stay tuned for my results next week.

I find it kind of funny the people we held off the deadline for and those who had so many comments about it never sent anything. There were others that bowed out at the end who let everyone know and I can except that. I did enjoy the comical posts leading up to the end.

Hopefully the next competition will have better participation. I think the timing will be better not being around any harvests. Some folks may have been put off when they saw what it was going to cost to ship and I understand that.

Good luck to those who entered and thank you for sharing your wine with me.

YAY just checked ups and it would appear that two packages were delivered successfully yesterday between noon and one. honestly usually anytime is a good time for some wine making fun, i'm just procrastinatory when it comes to bottling. cheers and good luck all.

procrastinatory

I was gonna look that word up, but decided to put it off until later! :)

Thanks for the update, Dan! Looks like I get to collect on a few bets now that the final tally of entries is in. Y'all know who you are - I accept cash or wine... :D

well crap im just now getting back to this things have been crazy so im gonna just say since im so late im out.

although i did crack open a 1.5L of this last night, not to bad acid is a lil high but not a deal breaker, the bottle went down nice and smooth haha

Last edited:
I had a bottle of mine last night, so I could see what Dan and Julie would be tasting. Perfect! Absolutely perfect! You other three are in trouble!

Three?! Is that the only competition I get? Jeez! Oh, well, it makes my chances of winning even better. Don't you all think I'm going to gloat less just because the number of entries dropped off! :db

It just makes it easier on the judges when people volunteer to lose by self-deleting. However, as a parting prize, we have this lovely image. :)

I had a bottle of mine last night, so I could see what Dan and Julie would be tasting. Perfect! Absolutely perfect! You other three are in trouble!

Three?! Is that the only competition I get? Jeez! Oh, well, it makes my chances of winning even better. Don't you all think I'm going to gloat less just because the number of entries dropped off! :db

Dave REALLY!!!!

When there is only four places and you don't even make it on the scor board how are you going to feel!!! After what you said everyone is going to think you have taste for sheet. I'm sure glad Jim is humble.:d

can we get a picture of the "huge" line up of entries? didn't this thing start with around 15 people saying they were "in"?

How great is this hobby? In this small contest we have an engineer, writer, fireman and graphic artist being judged by a manager and pro winemaker.
Talk about a diverse group and a truly enjoyable Interest to fall into. I hope to look back on my entry years from now and say "look what I've learned since then".
Good luck to you all and thanks letting me play in your sandbox.
Mike

i was planning on it but the way things worked out i didn't get my entries out in time :slp

Careful in the sandbox. I saw the cat in there earlier! :D

You know, Mike is right! What an odd grouping of contestants. Well, you guys are odd. I'm fairly normal. :tz

Judging begins momentarily. Judges are Runningwolf, GreginND and a professional winemaker and wine owner, Lauri.

Greg is posting as we are tasting these great wines. We decided to post pour notes as we taste. After Julie and her group judges the final winner will be announced but we wanted to share our notes as we taste here at the AWS convention.

And your judges:

1464674_10100321182624579_94196955_n.jpg

Wine tasting comments:

1398794_10100321182300229_2065527990_o.jpg

Ben's Strawberry Coastal White

Wine was cloudy as stated before the competition.
No CO2 present.
Color is beautiful, just not clear.
The aromas and bouquet are delightfully strawberry.
The flavors are well balanced and the strawberry flavors compliment the white wine.
The freshest strawberry flavors of the lot.

Suggestions: Excellent wine. If not bottled yet, let it clear and/or filter.

1415248_10100321182370089_367399569_o.jpg

Lori and Mike's Strawberry Coastal White

Good clarity.
Nice color - a little orange.
Aromas are a little off. Possibly due to real strawberry fermention?
Balance is a little off - a bit more sugar would soften the acidic finish and bring more fruit out.
Has some jolly rancher like qualities.

738410_10100321182524779_158017274_o.jpg

SweetPea's Strawberry Coastal White

Brilliantly clear.
Nice strawberry aromas.
Clean bold flavor with very good balance.
The acid provides a pleasant crispness.

1399392_10100321182584659_1099283547_o.jpg

Fat Flamingo 2013 Strawberry Coastal White

Clear and bright. The color looks a little thin.
Nice strawberry aromas
On the palate the wine comes across thin and a bit watery.
A little unpleasant sourness in the finish.

Winner will be announced after Julie and her team report their tasting notes.

Latest posts

Back