WMT (Unofficial) Strawberry Coastal White Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
Oyez! Oyez!

heffelumptowncrier.gif

Announcing the advent of the impromptu friendly amateur wine making competition afterward mentioned here:

2013 "Strawberry" Wine Expert Vintners Reserve Coastal White (White Burgundy Style) Wine Competition

Unofficial Friendly Rules (more like guidelines):

1) Must use the aforementioned Wine Expert Vintner's Reserve Coastal White (White Burgundy Style) Wine Kit.

2) Must use strawberries.

Competition to be judged by a yet unannounced person(s) on or about the midst of October 2013...somewhat.

Those interested may post said intent here. What say ye?

Last edited:
This sounds like fun, but it's March in southeastern pa. I don't see any strawberries in my back yard. Are the frozen variety that are available at the "local" warehouse club a workable source?

Count me in, heading home to start whispering sweet nothings to that little blank canvas of a white coastal box. Good luck to all, should be fun sharing notes (most of them)
Mike
Frozen strawberries are still strawberries, go for it.

According to their website, midwestsupplies.com, they still have these kits in stock, BOGO!

Get one (I mean two!) and join the fun!

What about Jim (jswordy)? He was the impetus for this. You in for a little friendly competition?

<Now, the question is, to make this from hot house strawberries, now, giving it more time to age before October, or wait for summer strawberries and hope for better flavor? Hmmm...>

Last edited:
kits will be here tuesday and I will probably get started on one at that point, i also liked kraffty's idea in the other thread about sending one bottle to judges and one to the other participants as long as we dont get like 10ppl that can get a lil expensive :)

Strawberry's from Plant City Florida should be coming to your stores very soon.

relative newbie here ... with a box of coastal white just waiting to be started ... never realized i could tweek with fruit to a box kit ... PLEASE>>> some info on how to do it ... other fruits that strawberry that would be delish? i have the 1st bogo in long aging and am actually pretty pleased with it so far ... would love to play though :)

I would think there are a few ways you can do this, toss fruit in and ferment it all together, or add some in front end and then steep the rest after fermented and stabilized, or go the f-pak route, possibilities are only limited by the imagination of the creator. I dont know enough about this kit to give much insight on what i would say is the best as Ive only made 2 kits and they were both the island mist kits which are totally different animals.

I plan to send a bottle to all the participants (and whomever our judge may be) in October. Found some nice ripe strawberries at Jungle Jim's on Saturday. Mixed everything up yesterday and pitch my yeast this morning. And away we go! This will be the second time I've added fruit to a kit. The first one turned out very nice! I'm excited, but please pardon me if I'm a bit secretive about how I'm doing mine---lest my opponents get the upper hand! :wy
Here's my strawberries and kit, ready to go (note: I used more than the one bag); and the full fermenter, covered snuggly and warm, brew belt in place...

100_1032.jpg
100_1033.jpg

According to their website, midwestsupplies.com, they still have these kits in stock, BOGO!

Get one (I mean two!) and join the fun!

What about Jim (jswordy)? He was the impetus for this. You in for a little friendly competition?

<Now, the question is, to make this from hot house strawberries, now, giving it more time to age before October, or wait for summer strawberries and hope for better flavor? Hmmm...>

No, YOU are the impetus for this, Dave. :D Yeah, I'm in if it turns out OK. Got the kits Saturday. I have 2 batches ahead of it, guess it's time to rearrange my schedule.

kits will be here tuesday and I will probably get started on one at that point, i also liked kraffty's idea in the other thread about sending one bottle to judges and one to the other participants as long as we dont get like 10ppl that can get a lil expensive :)

Average UPS charge is $13-15 to ship a single bottle from here. Just saying, my budget is limited. Glad to send a bottle (or two) to the judge(s).

just admit it dave you are gonna toss in real lemon juice and this will be the WE DB :)

but i gotta ask whats in the kit?

just admit it dave you are gonna toss in real lemon juice and this will be the WE DB :)

but i gotta ask whats in the kit?

No lemon, sorry, Dend. :D But the kit has a big bag of juice, one poorly written set of instructions, packets (one each) of bentonite, sulphite, and sorbate, and one packet of Red Star Premier Cuvee Wine Yeast.

Mix according to instructions. Ferment until dry!

Note: This contest will definately void the warrantee on the wine kit! :c

Started this one back in february, but i'm in to add some fruit and send a bottle off to a judge!!

You are welcome to join in with that one. Read the two rules, above. If you are going to add fruit, it must include strawberries. Anything else goes!

should we set one more rule for final SG, so that way we dont send the judges 5 different wines to taste that vary so much you cant even really put them in the same class?

should we set one more rule for final SG, so that way we dont send the judges 5 different wines to taste that vary so much you cant even really put them in the same class?

I just didn't want to make too many rules, Dend. Simple, fun, and experimental. You make a good point, but since this is really a pointless contest...;)

What do the others think?

@ Kraffty: Looking good! I used some bananas, too. I just wanted to eat them and the strawberries, they smelled so good together!

Latest posts

Back