WMT (Unofficial) Strawberry Coastal White Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you for your honest opinions julie i appreciate it.

Note * no koolaid was harmed in the making of my batch

Gee, we haven't even gotten the final judging result yet and:

* I am getting congratulatory emails;

* There's already another contest posted.

As far as I know, NOBODY has won this contest.

Jim, that's the only proven way to jinx someone that I know of.
Mike

haha, i felt pretty good after the first reviews, but fell back to earth after the second :slp. oh well, can honestly say i had fun tweaking and trash talking on this one. cheers

Gee, we haven't even gotten the final judging result yet and:

* I am getting congratulatory emails;

* There's already another contest posted.

As far as I know, NOBODY has won this contest.

I was under the impression that Runningwolf was going to compile final results and post. Hey Dan.......Where are you...

And the winner is..................

Dan and I have come to a decision so here it is:

3rd place - Fat Flamingo

2nd place was a tie - California Coastal and Strawberry Coastal

and #1 is:

PANAMA RED!!!!!!!

...I...AM....SHOCKED I TELL YOU.... JUST SHOCKED! Congrats Jim, nice signature. I guess experience really is worth something after all. Now you have to join in on the welch's to defend your title.
By the way, who'd you pay to get Welch's picked for the next ingredient, how are you going to play up the "AW SHUCKs, I got no experience with Welch's" guy on this one.
Nice Job,
Mike

...I...AM....SHOCKED I TELL YOU.... JUST SHOCKED! Congrats Jim, nice signature. I guess experience really is worth something after all. Now you have to join in on the welch's to defend your title.
By the way, who'd you pay to get Welch's picked for the next ingredient, how are you going to play up the "AW SHUCKs, I got no experience with Welch's" guy on this one.
Nice Job,
Mike

Gonna be fun to try and beat "the master" at his own game.

Um, there was Welch's Strawberry Breeze in my winning recipe. Buck a can. :D

PANAMA RED

To a Coastal White kit:

-- add 5 pounds fresh strawberries in a paint strainer bag
-- add 3-4 ounces oak chips to the must

Ferment using the Coastal White directions. Ferment to dry.

Rack into a clean and sanitized carboy. Add k meta and potassium sorbate.
If you need to top up, use thawed and undiluted cans of Welch's Strawberry Breeze.

After 1 month, degas using your preferred method and rack again, topping up with Welch's Strawberry Breeze.

After a second month, rack again and top with same.

-- After second racking, order a half gallon of homewinery.com strawberry juice concentrate. Place in fridge for 3-4 weeks to settle.

At third racking, pour off cleared strawberry concentrate from half gallon jug into sanitized carboy. Rack wine onto concentrate. Add sugar to taste as needed. Top with Welch's Strawberry Breeze as needed, if needed.

Allow to settle at least one month. Rack into clean and sanitized carboy and bottle.

Last edited:
Way to go, Jim! That's awesome! I tried to stick to natural strawberries (no canned products) in mine and it was my undoing. Both batches of strawberry wine I have ever made went sparkling on me. Degassing again and not resweetening left mine lifeless and sour. At least I know where I went wrong. More experience required! I'll get them strawberries some day!

I'll take my little thrid place (last place) ribbon and go sit over there...

url

Congratulations Jim! and thank you for posting pictures as well as the steps of your process. i had fun with this, i see there's a welch's competition that popped up here recently, i may have to throw my hat into that ring as well. congrats to all who managed to actually finish and send their bottles in for judging, as well as the judges for taking the time to sample and critique the bottles sent in. this is a fun hobby that takes time, patience, and great friends to share our stories and troubles with and am glad i can call all of you friends.

cheers :dg

Way to go, Jim! That's awesome! I tried to stick to natural strawberries (no canned products) in mine and it was my undoing. Both batches of strawberry wine I have ever made went sparkling on me. Degassing again and not resweetening left mine lifeless and sour. At least I know where I went wrong. More experience required! I'll get them strawberries some day!

I'll take my little thrid place (last place) ribbon and go sit over there...

url

There are locally grown "natural" strawberries in the primary phase, Dave. I already had experience with the fact that strawberry usually turns out weak if you do not add an adjunct after fermentation. If you add real berries afterward you do get "fresh" flavor but set yourself up for a very long clearing process, and there was not enough time in this contest to do that. But you can do it, as LoneTreeFarms did.

This will probably be the last strawberry I ever make. Too much work. I can get a lot better results with less work in grape wines.

Thanks for the congrats, guys.

Any chance on another event like this. I just now read the thread. Sounds like a fun time for this winter. Julie, I live 80 mile east of Pittsburgh, in the Ebensburg area. Congrats to all the entries it seemed to be all in fun GOOD JOB :b

Any chance on another event like this. I just now read the thread. Sounds like a fun time for this winter. Julie, I live 80 mile east of Pittsburgh, in the Ebensburg area. Congrats to all the entries it seemed to be all in fun GOOD JOB :b

That's just a hop skip and 2 jumps from Pittsburgh. I went to a wedding there many years ago and my parents have a place in Fort Hill Pa.

Need to get together around Pittsburgh some time, maybe have a tasting.

Oh wow this looks like so much fun. Love the pictures too thanks for sharing. Congratulations Jim!!

Latest posts

Back