WMT (Unofficial) Strawberry Coastal White Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the "limited rule" option. Perhaps using Welch's, period. A Welch's Wine contest, no holds barred! One rule: A Welch's juice of some kind has to be used somehow, somewhere along the line. Like Dan said, it's affordable, available, and affable.

I'm just throwing ideas out there.

I'd also like to add my thanks to Dan, Greg and Lauri for their time and joining in on this little competition. Once I got over being all butt-hurt because all the comments weren't perfectly positive I did realize they were all kind, honest and dead-on. Now if I can just make the next batch a little better and then repeat about 20 more times I should get good at this. Really looking forward to Julie's comments next and then finding out who has bragging rights for a while.

To me the buckets sound the most interesting but, they might be harder for some to get ahold of and would probably take a deadline of 1-1/2 or 2 years before judging. The Welches idea sounds more accessible by everyone, can be made in small amounts if wanted and judged in less time. It would probably make for a lot bigger group. I'm also in favor of limited rules, how about 80% Welches and anything you like from there?
I'm in and up for another go-around.
Mike

I would like to thank our generous hosts Julie and Mike for a wonderful time this afternoon. Julie has all the judging notes and will pos t shortly. Here are a few pics from the afternoon.

Tease! :ft But I'm glad you all had a good time. When Julie gets up from her wine nap, we'll see what those notes have to say. Wish I could have been there. I got to try a bottle of Kraffty's, but missed out on the others.

As a side note, I do like Mike's idea of 80% Welch's. That would prevent an eye dropper of Welch's being added to a Rosso Fortisimo, and entered into the Welch's contest as Welch's wine.

I'm just too trusting sometimes.

Last edited:
Can't wait to compare tasting notes. I regret we didn't expound more on each of the wine categories (Appearance, aroma/bouquet, taste/texture, aftertaste and overall impression). Perhaps the Julie, et. al. will do a more professional job than we did.

Let me reiterate once more - criticisms and all, all the wines were definitely tasty. We have a talented bunch here.

It was definately a group effort on Julie's end and a good time was had by all. We consumed alot of food and alot of wine. I'm pdoud to call you alk my friends. Oh, Steve, welcome to the clan. If you're ever in the Crafton area let me know.

Julie, please fill in names since you can edit members posts.
ForumRunner_20131117_190847.jpg

ForumRunner_20131117_190847.jpg

ForumRunner_20131117_190901.png

ForumRunner_20131117_190938.jpg

ForumRunner_20131117_190957.png

ForumRunner_20131117_191010.png

Last edited:
It's been great to be able to supply some of the libation that has caused two such enjoyable gatherings to be held.

Makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy, don't it. :hug To be part of something that brings such joy. Look at the happy faces! :h

You guys are awesome! Thanks for helping out with the judging. It does appears a good time was had by all!

Fat Flamingo,
Tart
nice aroma
Thin
Light in flavor

Strawberry Coastal

Cloudy
Syrupy
no mouthfeel
no leggs
more like koolaid
sorry!
California Coastal White
Smooth
good mouthfeel
no leggs
good aroma
nice strawberry flavor

Panama Red
Nice aroma, you can smell the strawberries
well balance
good mouthfeel

I did not tell anyone who's wine that they were tasting, I really wanted an unbiased opinion. I withheld my comments until everyone else was done, since I knew who's wine was who's.

Wine Judges were:
ffemt128, Doug
Oleisa, Doug's wife
Hokasig, Bill
Karen, Bill's wife
Terry0220
Marilyn, drrockinsteve's wife
Stephen, Skycrestfarm
Mike, Julie's husband
Julie

The ratings are"

Panama Red #1
California Coast, Mike & Lori #2
Fat Flamingo #3
Strawberry Coastal #4

Ok, Juile. Thank you very much. I know it may be a lot to ask, but if you could get with Dan and come to a consensus as to the best overall. Give us a second place, also, if you please, and an honorable mention...and of course a loser.

This has been a lot of fun! Seriously, at this point, I'm perfectly happy with gloating about being the loser of the WMT (Unofficial) Strawberry Coastal White Wine Competition! :try

Edit: I'm sorry, Julie. Have you actually comparied notes with Dan already, or is this just the results from your group?

Last edited:
Hang in there, Jim! I think you've still got a good 25% chance of winning! :)

Latest posts

Back