What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attending the 31st annual New Mexico Vine & Wine Conference in ABQ. Just had lunch with Dennis Rak and his wife from Double A Vineyards (owners). It really is a small community in the wine making world.

PS they love NM and are already planning their next trip out this way this Summer!

Awesome, I look forard to pictures and how it was.

Got my utility sink today, it's HUGE! My father in law is coming over tomorrow to install it.......great ending to a pretty bad work week! :) :db:db:db

Sarah, good for you. I don't know how folks do it that have to use the kitchen upstairs to make wine in the basement. I know I would only be making a fraction of what I do if that was the case. Mostly because of the bottle washing. Sometimes I leave them in there over night. I look forward to seeing a picture when it's installed.

I hope you take care of your FIL with some good beverages as I know he helped you out in the past when you were in a jam.

Attending the 31st annual New Mexico Vine & Wine Conference in ABQ. Just had lunch with Dennis Rak and his wife from Double A Vineyards (owners). It really is a small community in the wine making world.

PS they love NM and are already planning their next trip out this way this Summer!

Go to their website - www.rakgrape.com and lookup St. Pepin grapes and look at my avatar............
That is some of my St. Pepin grapes in the catalog. They didn't have a picture so I sent them a few to use for the catalog. I have also sent cuttings to Grafted Grapevine and some ES6-16-30 to NE Vine Supply. It is a small community and we all help each other out when we can.

Dang, I wonder if they'd pick me up along the way next time. I'm about 50 minutes from them. Mike they are very close to Walkers.

Sarah, good for you. I don't know how folks do it that have to use the kitchen upstairs to make wine in the basement. I know I would only be making a fraction of what I do if that was the case. Mostly because of the bottle washing. Sometimes I leave them in there over night. I look forward to seeing a picture when it's installed.

I hope you take care of your FIL with some good beverages as I know he helped you out in the past when you were in a jam.

I would just get lots and lots of exercise going up and down those stairs......pain in the neck when you just want to rinse something off! Or an even bigger pain in the neck when you just racked a half a dozen wines.....up and down the stairs with all those carboys!

Unfortunately for him, he can't reap the benefits of what I make because of some of the meds he is on, but we'll probably take him out to dinner instead. He has definitely been a huge help, we've managed to get ourselves into a lot of jams (home repairs, etc.) ! I'll post pics when everything is done.

Messing with pictures I took a couple weeks ago in Arizona.costa's.jpg

Shot the little sucker about a dozen times with a 300mm 2.8 lens and got 3 good images.

We don't have this brand in Minnesota. Called a Costa's Hummingbird. Beautiful bird.

Stabilized and degassed the rhubarb today while I had the smokehouse going. Just built a new smoker and was excited to get a batch of sausage through it to break it in.

new smoker smaller.jpg

We are heading over to a big Kayak / canoe sale on the west side of Cincinnati to see if we can find us a new toy or two. Paddling can be a healthy sport! :w

Messing with pictures I took a couple weeks ago in Arizona.View attachment 3624

Shot the little sucker about a dozen times with a 300mm 2.8 lens and got 3 good images.

We don't have this brand in Minnesota. Called a Costa's Hummingbird. Beautiful bird.

Boyd, how the heck did you get that picture. That shot is unbelievable. Beautiful picture, thanks for sharing.

Waiting for 2 friends to help bring the last 60 cases of wine downstairs to my new wine cellar.

That's what we're looking for. I'm always too late. Dan these are what we are going to look at today. Since you seem to have some experience please give me some feed back on if these are worth what he is asking or if I should just go buy new? http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3067097075.389801.139243972074&type=1&theater

You'll probably get a good buy here. Go for the Carolina first if they have one. The Arcadia's are very popular also and very stable. If you can get one with a rudder, get it.

Day 2 at the NM vine and wine conference. Just finished listening to an excellent talk on managing pH with fruit that is high pH. The speaker was Shea Comfort who used to be the winemaker with Morewine. He is a consultant now. He wrote all those fantastic manuals that are available for download from the Morewine web site. (Red Wine Manual, etc.).

Fantastic talk! My head just essploded from information overload. Definitely a winemaking rock God!!!! I am NOT worthy!!

You'll probably get a good buy here. Go for the Carolina first if they have one. The Arcadia's are very popular also and very stable. If you can get one with a rudder, get it.

Thanks Dan and they didn't have any of those brands. We actually ended up buying a canoe since Vicki wants to take our dogs with us most of the time. There's plenty of room in this for a Pomeranian and a Daschund. http://www.madrivercanoe.com/product/index/products/recreation/adventure_destiny_series/adventure_14

Very nice and it'll be plenty stable for the dog and room for a picnic lunch.

Thanks! This local livery bought several that had returned to stores like Cabellas, Dicks, and Bass Pro Shop. Some needed minor repairs and were professionally repaired and guaranteed so they are basically in new condition. This one had a small hole in it but was poly welded to fix it. I do poly welding and know that it will hold forever with no worries. It retails for $699 and I gave $300 for it so with a deal like that I couldn't pass it up.

Boyd, how the heck did you get that picture. That shot is unbelievable. Beautiful picture, thanks for sharing.

It has a lot to do with luck. Those little devils move around a lot.

I used a Sony a7 digital camera with a Tamron 300mm 2.8 lens and rested it on a brick wall for support. Shot about a dozen pictures and got 3 good ones.

I once shot a roll of 36, 35mm at hummingbirds and got 36 pictures of sky and trees. :(

That lens was a real SCORE plus. Got it for $100.00 in a pawn shop. A new one is around $3,000.00

Currently looking for a Vivitar 90-180 lens for close-up photography.

Last edited:
I just racked my concord and pinot noir this afternoon for the fourth and third times, and they're looking good! I just need to save up some money to buy some bottling equipment, and I'll be good to go soon. Until then, they're just going to bulk age for a little while longer.

Haven't been on in a while as I've been busy with work picking up and moving into a new home. I plan to post some pictures of that soon -- had a lot of work done to make the place my own :D

Latest posts

Back