What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what I am NOT doing today. I had planned on making some Pin Cherry and some Blackberry wine, but I went to my cabin this weekend to pick the wild berries and because of lack of rain, there are NONE. Last weekend they were looking good and I thought I would wait one move week and the blackberries would be sweeter and the Pin Cheriies a little riper, WELL I was wrong. In one lousy week everything dried up. The blackberries are
GONE and the Pin Cheriies look like raisins on the tree. No flavor, no juice. Thats what I get for waiting. But we still need rain BAD. Can't even have a campfire and drink what wine I have (Dago Red)!

How disappointing!! Maybe someone will call you with free fruit and you will have something new to ferment!! here's hoping!

Debbie

Had the same thing happen with my elderberries in the back year, no rain but instead of them drying up the birds ate them. It seems when we go for a spell without rain the birds seem to dive into the elderberries and eat them green

If the birds don't have water to drink... they might go for the fruit that is closer than a trip to the nearest water hole!

Debbie

3P-Oh

I'm bottling my first ever batch of Skeeter Pee (a triple berry). My wife wants to call it 3P-Oh.
100_0454.jpg

Finishing up the packing and getting ready for the long trip back to southern Florida. The north country is beautiful now, leaves are starting to turn. Pickup is full, don't think I could get another packer box in it. Wife brings everything, guess you have to when you stay 4 months. Will take about 3 weeks to get home, have several stops, including Hot Springs, Ar. to see my son and 3 grandkids. Hope to stop in Savanah, Tenn. and fish the Tenn. River for a few days after that. Getting anxious. Loren:fsh

Going to be going to bed early tonight as there is a Rhode Island charter boat calling my name for tomorrow morning!!! Going at at around 4:30 for Striped Bass and something else but Im not sure what as Im just sneaking in where someone bailed at the last minute. Ill try and get some good pics of this.

Filtered my Strawberry, Chardonnay and Muscat. I put the strawberry into 2-3 gallon carboys from a 6. I'll bottle part in the next few months then save the other 3 gallon for blending with peach.

Finished up the fishing season on Lake ontario this past weekend. Had 5 fish in the money for the fall LOC Derby.
Now it's time to get busy for wine season. Bottled 2010 Noiret tonight and ordered 10 gallon of Traminette juice.

May try Marquette juice, any opinions?

Been too busy with work to do much. Going to get some wine making done after the wedding. Only 25 more days to go.

Been too busy with work to do much. Going to get some wine making done after the wedding. Only 25 more days to go.

Dan, you are getting married?! That is great. After 46 years of marriage, I can truthfully say that I never knew what true happiness was until I got married, but now it is too late. :)

Just kidding of course. Best of everything to you and your Bride.

I really did something today. I picked up 5 buckets at L'Uva Bella and I have them in the fermenters now. I am making an 18 gallon batch of "Rocky's Rosso Fortissimo" which consists of equal parts Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. I put on 8 gallons of Steve's Recipe (Ricetta di Stefano) consisting of 6 gallons of Zinfandel and 2 gallons of Muscat. I put the remaining Muscat (4 gallons) on by itself. Not sure where I am heading with this last one. Maybe a dessert wine, maybe a dry or off dry white.

Dan, you are getting married?! That is great. After 46 years of marriage, I can truthfully say that I never knew what true happiness was until I got married, but now it is too late. :)

Just kidding of course. Best of everything to you and your Bride.

Thanks Rocky.

We introduced our neighbors to Skeeter Pee tonight. :dg They want more!

So, I'm thinking that many of these wineries don't allow most of their wine to really age for several months. Is that pretty close to correct? Do they just filter it as much as necessary and send it on out?

That first pic looks like your holding up the bin all by your lonesome. You been working out!

That is some piece of specialized equipment there. It looks like the arms clamp the bin in two places on the sides, raise it and rotate and dump it over the destemmer. I bet that cost more than a little bit.

Back