What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have any of you ever used cayenne peppers instead of jalapenos? I'm thinking about doing a one gallon batch to see if it's worth making a larger one.

Yes my first batch I used 30 cayenne's to a gallon jug, I used Welch's white grape concentrate as a base. Like Mike said, you started off with this really nice sweet taste and then the burn hits the back of your throat and you know it is too late to spit it out.

This was the wine that Doug loved and got everyone to thinkin.

Have any of you ever used cayenne peppers instead of jalapenos? I'm thinking about doing a one gallon batch to see if it's worth making a larger one.

It's definately worth doing a larger batch. I have 4 cayene pepper plants this year for this purpose. My last batch for 3 gallons(ended up almost 4 after backsweetening) was with 24 jalepeno and 8 hot banana peppers. I used this to make the Pomegranate Pepper wine.

Next question! Do I need to cut or crush the peppers of just leave them whole? Bag or no bag?

Next question! Do I need to cut or crush the peppers of just leave them whole? Bag or no bag?

I washed, cut the stem off then sliced cross wise leaving the seeds. Definately put them in a bag and make sure you wear gloves when slicing. Hint if you don't. Soaking in Milk of Magnesia for 1/2 hour gets the burn out but you have pink hands for the rest of the day. Don't ask how I know.

I too like Julie used 3 cans of white grape juice per gallon as a base. SG on mine was around 1.086 if I recall.

Just let my dog out and a Pileated Woodpecker flew right in front of us over to a tree across the street. I only see one once or twice a year. Below is a picture of one, but not one that I took.

woodpecker.jpg

Heading out the door right now to buy more supplies in Dayton. This is addicting!

Looking like rain. Glad the weather was good yesterday for our Poker Run. Given the fact that it rained early on during the registration process, we ended up with I believe 49 bikes. I thought that was an acceptable number for the first year and the weather conditions just before the ride. Once we got underway it was clear and sunny skies. Ride was 97 miles and total time with stops was right around 3 1/2 hours. We had a chase vehicle with an enclosed trailer in the event of any breakdowns and a full contingency of medical supplies from our QRS vehicle if needed. Both the driver and passenger of the the chase vehicles were emt's and probably half the riders had some medical training given the nature of the ride.

Not sure what the plans are for today other than relaxing.

Just let my dog out and a Pileated Woodpecker flew right in front of us over to a tree across the street.

Neat. We have 7 varieties of woodpeckers in East Texas. They love pecking on the eves of my house for breakfast. :)
The real fun at my house (we have right at one acre and the back third if it heavily wooded) is watching the Redtailed Hawk families every year. Hawks are Bad A$$!

Looking like rain. Glad the weather was good yesterday for our Poker Run. Given the fact that it rained early on during the registration process, we ended up with I believe 49 bikes. I thought that was an acceptable number for the first year and the weather conditions just before the ride. Once we got underway it was clear and sunny skies. Ride was 97 miles and total time with stops was right around 3 1/2 hours. We had a chase vehicle with an enclosed trailer in the event of any breakdowns and a full contingency of medical supplies from our QRS vehicle if needed. Both the driver and passenger of the the chase vehicles were emt's and probably half the riders had some medical training given the nature of the ride.

Not sure what the plans are for today other than relaxing.

RAIN?
Whats that? just have 100+* heat here

Yeah the pilated's are one of my favorite birds only to be topped by owls and hawks.
My only tattoo so far is of an owl I have and probly always will go out at night and call owls in close, we was tracking a deer one night and I heard an old one hollering aways off I called to it, he answered and came up really close and started following us most of the night. Only thing more exciting to hear at night is hearing a mountain lion or bobcat hollering those can make your neck hair stand up. lol

oh Tom we know that all to well hear our air was out for the past 4 days till yesterday when (God I love him now) my son in law came up and fixed it for us, yeah those 3 days were every one well over 100 degrees.

Heading to a Pirate game this afternoon with the family. Hoping to avoid a sweep with the Cardinals. Then back home for a cookout. Probably open a bottle or two of wine. It just doesn't get any better than that.

I'm in the primary stage of 2 gals of Niagara/Cherry starting from the Welch's Juice. I'm planning on fermenting it to good and dry so I can hopefully blend with my really sweet N/C to make a more enjoyable tasting wine (just too sweet at this point). These were another 2 batches before realizing that I need to check specific gravity BEFORE adding any sugar. What would you suggest?
What I have now is 2 five gal carboys of N/C sitting with a finished SG of around 1.030. It's been stabilized. I began the 2 gals yesterday, and plan on taking it down to below 1.000. In your opinion, would one gal of 1.000 SG or just below, level out the 1.030 or would it take more than 1 gal per 5 gal amount?

Am I thinking correctly? I'll be so glad when I get beyond this constant mistake making era.

Going to my moms. So, when I'm gone I expect Dan to pass me on # of messages with pointless responses just to add to his #.

U da man Dan. :m

I'm recovering today... so much drinking yesterday!

My wine won a first, two seconds, and a third!!

Latest posts

Back