What are you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a popsicle about now. I just got back in from plowing on my open tractor for the second time. I'm running out of room to put the snow. It is getting colder, snowing harder and blowing sideways. I figured I better plow the 20 inches we have gotten so far so I can move with the tractor.

I had to go pull a four wheel drive pickup out while I was plowing. He backed into the snow on the side and it sucked him in onto the ice underneath.

I tasted a few Pinot's Friday at the FLGG Conference, on top of about 20 different Rieslings(a lot of Rieslings grown there), Traminette, Gewurtz, Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Seyval Blanc, Lemberger, Dornfelder, Leon Millot, Marquette, NY76, NY 96, and some I can't even remember now. It is a good thing we had spit cups! Some of the guys and galls weren't spitting and were getting trashed.

Saturday at lunch a lady sat with me and we were chatting. They were talking about the grapes they grow and sell. Turns out they are a grower for Dr. Franks wineries.

Yesterday I got half caught up on things I'd been putting off. I kegged an ale that needed it. I just got a gravity vinbrite filter and filtered one of last years blackberry wine. Racked the other batch of blackberry that had been on oak for about 6 months. Everything got fresh k-meta and airlocks. I tasted both wines and found them to be just fine. Thank god this is a forgiving hobby. On deck for Wednesday is to rack the 6 gallons of mulberry from last year and 4 gallons of blueberry port.

ibglowin said:
What was awesome?

Willamette Valley or the Pinot!

So what Pinot's did you taste and recommend?

BOTH things were awesome.... The views..... the food..... the wine....

I would recommend Kings estate for food and wine. They have a out door fireplace, a GREAT view and really good wine. Their food is GREAT and is not expensive.

I also liked Sweet cheeks winery.... They had decent wine, a knowledgable staff, and live music. Had a great time.

Racked my Chardonnay off of the lees.It has been sur lee since last fall.

BTW - it went in the carboy at 40ppm free SO2 with asilicone stopper. Came out at just 35+ ppm today.

For all you Cajuns, Loosian'n's, and hard-partiers... "Laissez le bon pain de périodes!"
smiley2.gif

(I think I'll tip a glass to you!)

Okay, bottled 10 gallons of Cab/Merlot blend from 2009 Chilean grapes,
filtered 6 gallons of Elderberry, labeled last weeks Piesporter and
capsuled them and shelved them. Started a 5 gallon batch of Walkers
Rhubarb and a 5 gallon batch of Walkers Riesling. I was going to rack
the Chard off the diamonds and filter but my back was screaming! Next
week Ill get that and bottle my Blueberry Melomel or Crab Apple or maybe
even both depending on if my back lets me. Right now I have to play
around with designing a label for the Cab Merlot blend.

Actually it was beautiful outside all day. Had the basement door wide open, all the windows open and all the snow is finally gone except for 1 mound from all the snow off the roof and the deck. They really blew the last few days forecast but for the best, just a little rain the other night instead of 3 days of heavy rain which would have really killed the state as we were under flood watches everywhere.

I guess I need to move to Ct.
It got warmer than they said it would here today also. It got up to 39 instead of 36................. I tried to get into the vineyard since it was so balmy, in spite of the snow showers............ After trying to crawl over the 6 foot snowbanks only to sink up to my ask, I pushed my way through the 3 feet of slushy snow. I cut a few buds to check for damage. So far they don't look bad..........

Tonight it will get close to 0 again and high tomorrow in the teens. It is then supposed to be almost 40 all week- a regular spring thaw!

I got 40 carboys racked this weekend. I'm glad I used the vacuum for it or my back would be like Wade's.

Spring is starting to sprung this weekend. We have been in the low to mid 60's since Friday. Starting to pour water on the vines and grass. Trimming trees, starting to clean up the perennial garden. Windows are OPEN in the house!
smiley4.gif

I have 80 carboys Wade and then the barrels and tanks. I like the carboys because I can vacuum rack them and they hold small batches (in multiple carboys), but I can handle a lot more wine in a hurry with a 150 gallon tank or 55 gallon barrels.

Wade said:
80 huh, yowsa, you almost have as many as Tepe!!!! hehehehe

Wade,
Wise a$s

Believe it or not. There is a member in my Wine Club that has MORE full carboys than I do.

ibglowin said:
Spring is starting to sprung this weekend. We have been in the low to mid 60's since Friday. Starting to pour water on the vines and grass. Trimming trees, starting to clean up the perennial garden. Windows are OPEN in the house!
smiley4.gif

Spring is definately here too.
Our Forecast for this Week is:

weather.jpg

I am all atwitter too as my Indian Blood Peach Trees are blooming fo the first time. They are 2 years old now and were started from seed so what I will actually end up with remains to be seen.

IMG_6090.jpg

IMG_6091.jpg

The ornamental pear is in full bloom too.

IMG_6093.jpg

Back