WineXpert WineXpert Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't often use WineXPert kits. I am starting a Liebfraumilch and it contains a second bag of juice (.77Liters) labeled "reserve". As I read the directions, it has you add this reserve juice on day 15 along with Chitosan and kieselsol. Is this pouch intended for back sweetening? I've back sweetened before but never with .77 liters. Usually a small bottle. Seems like a lot of sweetening if that's what it is. Can I just dump it in my primary before pitching yeast or use only half the bag later? The kit is supposed to be semi-sweet. One other thing. I am not doing a full 6 gallons. I am going to cut the water back to bring it close to the volume of a five gallon carboy which is slightly more than five gallons. This eliminates having to add wine to top off the carboy at first racking. If I did decide to use only half of the reserve later, what would be the best way to store it for two weeks after the tab has been popped.

Appreciate the input.

I am pretty sure you can put that f-pack in primary. However, it is possible that it has sorbate in it. You mention the directions instruct to add it with C&K. Are you also supposed to add potassium sorbate after fermentation? If not, it is possible the needed sorbate is in the f-pack.

If no sorbate, then I would consider putting 1/2 to 3/4 of it into primary, and reserve the rest. You can experiment with backsweetening later. You could refrigerate it or freeze it in the interim.

I am pretty sure you can put that f-pack in primary. However, it is possible that it has sorbate in it. You mention the directions instruct to add it with C&K. Are you also supposed to add potassium sorbate after fermentation? If not, it is possible the needed sorbate is in the f-pack.

If no sorbate, then I would consider putting 1/2 to 3/4 of it into primary, and reserve the rest. You can experiment with backsweetening later. You could refrigerate it or freeze it in the interim.
There is a package labeled sulphite/sorbate 9.5 g. Seems to me that total weight is insufficient. Sorbate should be 2.5 tsp for five gallons which is14.2 g. Then there is the kmeta in that package as well. I hope my math is correct.

I don't often use WineXPert kits. I am starting a Liebfraumilch and it contains a second bag of juice (.77Liters) labeled "reserve". As I read the directions, it has you add this reserve juice on day 15 along with Chitosan and kieselsol. Is this pouch intended for back sweetening? I've back sweetened before but never with .77 liters. Usually a small bottle. Seems like a lot of sweetening if that's what it is. Can I just dump it in my primary before pitching yeast or use only half the bag later? The kit is supposed to be semi-sweet. One other thing. I am not doing a full 6 gallons. I am going to cut the water back to bring it close to the volume of a five gallon carboy which is slightly more than five gallons. This eliminates having to add wine to top off the carboy at first racking. If I did decide to use only half of the reserve later, what would be the best way to store it for two weeks after the tab has been popped.

Appreciate the input.
A bit off topic, but has the increased acidity been considered since less water will be added?

A bit off topic, but has the increased acidity been considered since less water will be added?
PH was 3.16 just before pitching the yeast starter. That’s within a white wine range and should increase during fermentation. It’s currently happily bubbling along.

Last edited:
PH was 3.16 just before pitching the yeast starter. That’s within a white wine range and will increase during fermentation. It’s currently happily bubbling along.
Good. Thanks for the reply.

Here is an update and it has me scratching my head. I just took some readings 67F, SG 1.030 PH 2.81. What? 2.81? A week ago it was 3.16 and I fully expected it to rise. This also seems to be a very slow ferment. I can still see the surface of the wine actively popping and it’s still sweet after tasting a sample. I should mention this and it may not have anything to do with the PH. But….when I open the juice bag last week, it had kind of an off smell to it and the juice was fairly dark in color. Bordering brown yet the F pack was golden yellow. Anyway, I pressed on and pitched the starter to see what would happen. But here I am a week later with these developments. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Here is an update and it has me scratching my head. I just took some readings 67F, SG 1.030 PH 2.81. What? 2.81? A week ago it was 3.16 and I fully expected it to rise. This also seems to be a very slow ferment. I can still see the surface of the wine actively popping and it’s still sweet after tasting a sample. I should mention this and it may not have anything to do with the PH. But….when I open the juice bag last week, it had kind of an off smell to it and the juice was fairly dark in color. Bordering brown yet the F pack was golden yellow. Anyway, I pressed on and pitched the starter to see what would happen. But here I am a week later with these developments. Thoughts?
When did you put the f pack in?

Latest posts

Back