What are you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, last night the weatherman said the temp this morning should be a -13F. Instead, I woke up and it was +9F. That's a big difference!

The sun is shinning! The serious cold is now out of Colorado, thank God. It is supposed to be near 50 F Saturday.

I was cold stabilizing a Cab in my garage until it started getting down to -15F outside. The wine is in a glass carboy; I was a little concerned it might freeze even in the garage, so I brought it in the house. I have a min/max thermometer in the garage that shows it got down to 16F on the coldest day, a few days ago. I wouldn't have worried at that temp, if the wine had been in a Better Bottle. I put the wine back in the garage this morning.

What am I doing today.........

Freezing my ASK off!
smiley36.gif

Was -17 for the low this AM!

I want to go back to Southern CA!

We're supposed to get 24 hours of "wintery mix" starting in a few hours. Being Southeast Texas and us knowing not how to act, drive or shop in snow and ice they are already closing schools and telling folks to stay home. It really sucks for business, makes me really glad I am out of retail.

What part of SW Tx are you ttortorice? That phrase "Wintry Mix" makes me laugh every time I hear it on TV up here in N Tx. Pretty chilly in Palo Pinto county today. Not anything like our brothers and sisters who live further north but it's plenty fridgid for us. Palo Pinto county has never seen a snow plow and we still have well over an inch of that "Wintry Mix" on the highways that looks, feels, and slides a lot like ice. Going on 4 days now. It was down to 10 last night, 19 now, and back down around 12 tonight. It's hard on the livestock, we're not prepared for these kinds of winters.

jnmar said:
What part of SW Tx are you ttortorice? That phrase "Wintry Mix" makes me laugh every time I hear it on TV up here in N Tx. Pretty chilly in Palo Pinto county today. Not anything like our brothers and sisters who live further north but it's plenty fridgid for us. Palo Pinto county has never seen a snow plow and we still have well over an inch of that "Wintry Mix" on the highways that looks, feels, and slides a lot like ice. Going on 4 days now. It was down to 10 last night, 19 now, and back down around 12 tonight. It's hard on the livestock, we're not prepared for these kinds of winters.

Southeast Texas, Beaumont. Or as I prefer to say The Right Side of Texas.

-------and all those Super Bowl fans who are going to Texas for a warm weekend!!!
NOT!!!

I'm sorry I misread your post...I'm really not directionally challenged. My wife's aunt and uncle are coming through Beaumont today on their way from Michigan to MD Anderson. They've had decent roads to travel so far, hope it holds off long enough for them to get through to Houston.

On a side note, my dad was in the highway construction business and way back yonder when I was a kid in high school, I got sentenced to one of his road projects between Beaumont and Vidor for 3 summers in a row. With George Jones as my role model, it probably wasn't his best choice of a supposed punishment job. lol

jnmar said:
I'm sorry I misread your post...I'm really not directionally challenged. My wife's aunt and uncle are coming through Beaumont today on their way from Michigan to MD Anderson. They've had decent roads to travel so far, hope it holds off long enough for them to get through to Houston.

On a side note, my dad was in the highway construction business and way back yonder when I was a kid in high school, I got sentenced to one of his road projects between Beaumont and Vidor for 3 summers in a row. With George Jones as my role model, it probably wasn't his best choice of a supposed punishment job. lol

Well, the wintery mix just started a few minutes ago, rain actually. It's 32 degrees right now. It's 34 in Baytown, that's where the San Jacinto bridge is. That would be their only issue and at 34 degrees they should have no problem.

The bridge connecting Beaumont and Vidor caused a huge local issue a few years back. There was a movement to name it the George Jones Bridge but some of the more self righteous folks blocked saying that George Jones was not a good role model. Most of the protest came from Vidor (the home of the KKK). Hatred, prejudice and bigotry are okay but smoking and drinking is a bad roll model. Welcome to SE Texas y'all.

That wintery mix is coming our way and supposed to hit us on Saturday. Hey Tony, do you think you can somehow maneuver that storm in a different direction, I cant handle any more of this stuff this year!!!!

Wade said:
That wintery mix is coming our way and supposed to hit us on Saturday. Hey Tony, do you think you can somehow maneuver that storm in a different direction, I cant handle any more of this stuff this year!!!!

I checked the map on your forum and can't find anywhere to send it that some home winemaker wouldn't get mad. Sorry.

Looks like we have another round coming in this evening and a bigger one Tuesday and Wednesday. Got more snow this year than we have had in years. Spent some time yesterday evening racking a Muscadine for the final time. Will let it bulk age now until aroun April and then bottle it.

IMG_5995.jpg

Ronald Regan's 100 birthday, wouldn't he love knowing it was on Superbowl Sunday!

20110206_104933_images.jpg

Happy Birthday Mr. President.

Well I am off to do a tasting at a fundraiser for a local community center today with 9 other local wineries.

I enjoy doing tastings but they are a lot of work, hauling cases into your venue, setting up everything, doing the tasting and then hauling everything out. This one has some agricultural vendors so it qualifies as a farm market and we are allowed to sell, that means hauling even more. Yesterday was rain and 45 degrees, today in more darn snow, they say Syracuse is 5 feet above normal so far.

I finally bottled 10 cases of 2009 Chardonnay I have been working on, last night.

Racking RJS Sicilian Trappani Syrah and clarifying MM Megioli Amarone.

Bottled my CC Global Cuvee Piesporter and a 1 gallon batch of Raspberry that I made to clear out the freezer last year.

Cleaning out the freezer of the summer fruits, butchering a beef next week and we need the room.

Started a batch of black raspberry, nanking cherry, rhubarb/pineapple and La Cresent grape. The house will be smelling great in a few days.

Also bottled some wild plum and racked some Frontenac and Marquette.

Just finished a wine tasting inWILLAMETTE VALLEY OREGON!!!

It was AWESOME... Highly recommended.

Best Pinot Noir....

Latest posts

Back