weak minded

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok I've lost my log book because my family kindly cleaned my house while I was in the hospital l, I know to put sorbate to stop refermation . but what other chemical do I use as well for long term storage in my wine, I take many medications so with out my notes I cant remember,
please an thank you, and I have now put a hasp an padlock on my wine room, I hide 1 key an only one nephew knows it's place in case i'm long term in hospital again, to top off air locks. i'm 55 an my 73 year old mother thinks i'm 3, sadly she might be right, but now she aint getting into my wine room, god bless her sweet misguided heart I love her but grrrrrrrrrrrrr,:?
dawg::

many thanks :h
and especially you sourgrapes, because I did need the entire word,
heck I think the meds I'm on are what's killing me, told me I had 2 years left, told em that wouldn't work I had wine to age longer then that and besides I aint going no where till the good lord says so,

As DrAlarms says, it is k-meta you are thinking of, but just to be clear this is short for potassium metabisulfite.

many thanks :h
and especially you sourgrapes, because I did need the entire word,
heck I think the meds I'm on are what's killing me, told me I had 2 years left, told em that wouldn't work I had wine to age longer then that and besides I aint going no where till the good lord says so,

Well, at least you have the right attitude.

Love it Hounddawg! You've got wine that needs to age longer than the Dr says. Lol! My son asked why was I making so much wine? Instead of the truth which would be "because it's so dang interesting to experiment with and way cheaper than making liqueurs" which I've done. So to just shorten my answer to him, I said, "Making sure y'all have one helluva party if I die soon." We never go until it's our time.

ihe I mentioned are at 2 an 1/2 years ageing, my elderberry is still in bulk ageing it is 2 an 1/2 years, I plan on bottling it soon then good lord willing I want to age it for t least 3 more years, I got some cherry that's still fermenting it'll age for at least 2 more years, but i'm looking to put on 2 more batches that will drink early like within a year, would apple or peach come round that quick. I don't do kits only fruits I pick myself...
Dawg::::

QUOTE=yanks4carolyn;602494]Love it Hounddawg! You've got wine that needs to age longer than the Dr says. Lol! My son asked why was I making so much wine? Instead of the truth which would be "because it's so dang interesting to experiment with and way cheaper than making liqueurs" which I've done. So to just shorten my answer to him, I said, "Making sure y'all have one helluva party if I die soon." We never go until it's our time.[/QUOTE]

ihe I mentioned are at 2 an 1/2 years ageing, my elderberry is still in bulk ageing it is 2 an 1/2 years, I plan on bottling it soon then good lord willing I want to age it for t least 3 more years, I got some cherry that's still fermenting it'll age for at least 2 more years, but i'm looking to put on 2 more batches that will drink early like within a year, would apple or peach come round that quick. I don't do kits only fruits I pick myself...

Ihave done an apple with storebought apple juice. Just bought the cheap half gallons. Made it with just the juice, some nutrients, a little tannin and some acid blend. Threw some cotesde blanc yeast in and a couple of months later it is decent drinking. It will probably get better with age, but tastes really nice now. Arne.

That's exactly what I needed to know, thank you arnie, I make mostly reds for my health, but word got around, so my aged stuff did not last but I can not complain, all my wielding an machine shop work all became free, another guy dumped 2 loads of prime gravel on my driveway I now have a super nice driveway that goes behind my house from the door of my chicken pen all the way up my drive to the edge of the road, I have half a chest type 14 cubic foot freezer with apples and pears, from my neighbors. shucks it was like paying a penny on the dollar and to each an everyone of them I made it super clear they could have all the wine they wanted free just return my bottles. where I live all the old time wine makers are all passed on. I never ask for nothing in return, I believe in the old ways, giving your exters to your friends an neighbor's. I am Blessed thank the good Lord

Ihave done an apple with storebought apple juice. Just bought the cheap half gallons. Made it with just the juice, some nutrients, a little tannin and some acid blend. Threw some cotesde blanc yeast in and a couple of months later it is decent drinking. It will probably get better with age, but tastes really nice now. Arne.[/QUOTE]

If you use fresh apples it will take quite a bit longer. Think it is something about making the storebought juice clear helps the wine to clear right up while sitting in the carboy. Probably get better if I would let it sit longer, but it is only 3 gal. and won't last too long. Arne.

Being a bit of a nerd, and given the title of this thread, I have to say...

images

You want to give me all of your wine

(ok, I gave it a shot. The force is supposed to work on the weak minded)

ok I don't get serious very often if not ever, but all of yall make me smile and look forward to reading on this site, sometimes even the hard headiest need to know there's more nuts out there, and on here seems like a semi load of nuts, lol,, I am honored by the knowledge freely given to me,,, :h

Back